• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USS Fitzgerald collision in C7F

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
+1. That said, I kind of want CDR Benson's trial to go through just so the Navy is forced to respond to his defense. It seems like things haven't changed enough re:admin priorities, manning, ship's schedules, etc. Would the publicity of his defense force more changes? Not that we should need anything else to jumpstart wholesale changes in the surface community...
I wish. I would love to see the Navy SWO Flag community get drug in to court and be forced to account for their poor leadership.

ATIS

I read both these articles and was like WTF. I was raised to drive ships in college (Maritime grad) for the only end goal of getting into Aviation (thank you ROTC)....so I can see both sides. To me if this Fitz info is only half-true, it's a complete WTF!!!!

In a plane...if items safe for flight aren't working....you don't go (oh I'm sure some of us have those "fly off, ingnore that MC light just for a second" story....but I digress). Second, I think aviators are pretty honest with each other when one isn't cutting the mustard either in training or in the fleet, you either shape up or we show you the door (flying or using the boxes skills). That is from a techical side, crappy leaders still make it through the mix don't get me wrong...every community deals with that. But these articles scream breakdown on so many levels.

ATIS

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
And of course there are shoes commenting on how we aviators can’t judge, because we have the occasional Class A. :rolleyes: I’m reminded why I usually stay away from Sal’s comment section.
Please, at least you can fly a plane and, when you get out of the Navy, you can use your flight logs to get your commercial pilots license with relative ease.

How much bridge time does a SWO receive?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
But these articles scream breakdown on so many levels.
Well, the only requirement to be a SWO is a degree in anything and 2.8 GPA / 45 OAR. If you are prior enlisted your GPA can be as low as 2.0 with a 40 OAR :D

ATIS

Well, the only requirement to be a SWO is a degree in anything and 2.8 GPA / 45 OAR. If you are prior enlisted your GPA can be as low as 2.0 with a 40 OAR :D

I have seen "rocks" trained to shoot, move, read charts and use equipment like the best of them. I have seen folks a lot less capable than me drive ships if properly trained and movtivated to do so.

I call BS on the whole GPA/OAR fallback. Driving ships is a profession, it should be treated as such (IMO).

ATIS

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

Do you mean minimum requirements to apply to SWO boards for OCS? I believe you have to be a lot better than that to be competitive. NROTC is obviously a different story.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I never in my life thought I’d read of such a thing ... truly shocked.
I'm shocked that they wrote all that stuff down.

I'm not shocked that they didn't want it to get out to the public.

I'm not surprised about the subject material. Anybody who's spent time underway on a smallboy knows the surface navy can be anywhere from good to bad, and how bad the bad can get in terms of broken stuff and incompetent seamanship and shiphandling.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
This is shocking. Having been in the surface fleet in 2002 and seeing where it has gone to now is appalling. I could damn near build an entire second SPY radar with the parts we had on board. Canabalization was absolutely unheard of. If you want to see the effects of computer training, and sequestration look no further wrt this. I can’t speak to the complete incompetence of the watch standers and refusal to notify the captain. But that lack of working gear is crazy.

robav8r

None
Contributor
I have seen "rocks" trained to shoot, move, read charts and use equipment like the best of them. I have seen folks a lot less capable than me drive ships if properly trained and movtivated to do so.

I call BS on the whole GPA/OAR fallback. Driving ships is a profession, it should be treated as such (IMO).

ATIS
People died, and the Commissioned Officers who were in charge abdicated their responsibility. Lots of blame to go around, but those on the deck plates need to understand that stopping another train-wreck of a disaster has to start with those standing watch. Maybe the VTJ JO’s who said “Fuck You” over the OBOGS issue could provide some GMT . . . .

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Help me understand something.

The DESRON (“Zulu,” an O-6) commands the 2-3x DDGs in the CSG. The DDGs are sometimes but not always within a MH-60’s flight distance of the CVN (i.e. you can get there). There is only one CIC and one bridge on each DDG.

Does DESRON have the time (given all the duties from the RDML) and/or invest the time to visit each DDG occasionally and tour the ship? I understand not micromanaging your O-5 DDG COs, and giving them sufficient leeway and space to exercise their own command... but what harm is there in an occasional (1 visit of a couple hours duration, once every 45-60 days) sanity check from one of the few O-6 SWOs in the CSG?

I can’t say exactly what DESRON is looking for on the tour (inspection), but I know bottles of piss and kettlebells and nonfunctional navigational sensors in the CIC are probably going to stand out.

From an aviator’s view, how often does CAG visit a squadron’s ready room on the CVN and informally gauge the squadron’s morale/attitude/readiness? Is it a fairly routine occurence, rare, or completely unheard of for CAG to visit a squadron and see what’s going on?

There’s gotta be a better mechanism to identify and take corrective action on unsatisfactory DDG COs/XOs than command climate surveys or waiting for a mishap. I’m asking what (if anything) prevents the DESRON from stepping aboard his/her DDGs occasionally to apply a critical eye to the situation.

Last edited:

RandomGoat1248

Help me understand something.

The DESRON (“Zulu,” an O-6) commands the 2-3x DDGs in the CSG. The DDGs are sometimes but not always within a MH-60’s flight distance of the CVN (i.e. you can get there). There is only one CIC and one bridge on each DDG.

Does DESRON have the time (given all the duties from the RDML) and/or invest the time to visit each DDG occasionally and tour the ship? I understand not micromanaging your O-5 DDG COs, and giving them sufficient leeway and space to exercise their own command... but what harm is there in an occasional (1 visit of a couple hours duration, once every 45-60 days) sanity check from one of the few O-6 SWOs in the CSG?

I can’t say exactly what DESRON is looking for on the tour (inspection), but I know bottles of piss and kettlebells and nonfunctional navigational sensors in the CIC are probably going to stand out.

From an aviator’s view, how often does CAG visit a squadron’s ready room on the CVN and informally gauge the squadron’s morale/attitude/readiness? Is it a fairly routine occurence, rare, or completely unheard of for CAG to visit a squadron and see what’s going on?

There’s gotta be a better mechanism to identify and take corrective action on unsatisfactory DDG COs/XOs than command climate surveys or waiting for a mishap.

Minor point, but both the Fitz and the McCain were independent deployers and did not usually operate in conjunction with a CSG.

ATIS

It depends. I’m Atsugi born and raised, meaning the entire airwing lived on one base. That created a real tight JO core which an airwing thrives on. CAGs and DCAGS drank with us and knew us by name. In fact the entire airwing hung out in the club. He saw the ebb and flow of moral, and knew what skipper/XOs were good and bad by the scuttlebutt. From a JO looking up at CAG, we saw them as giving a shit and the good ones were always out front and spending their time across the airwing, not just bagging flight time in their fav TMS aircraft. It was encouraging to hear CAG doing starboard D when he is a pointy nose type. Also encouraging to plan a minex on CAGs stateroom floor, just him and this dumb LT mining officer with our pencils/pubs/coffee mugs while all the skippers sat around and watched. I had one CAG that was just a hornet whore, never saw him except on the flight deck or sucking gas out of our basket. He’s the boss I guess, but it set a tone.
Aviation Vs SWO is just such a delta in attitude it’s hard to compare the uppermanagemt of both. Just my couple of copper coins.
ATIS