• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USNR OFFICER TO USN OFFICER?

Alright guys I'm back with a new question...

I got commissioned through DCO last year as an IW officer. Ive been going through my training pipeline for this last year and have realized that what I really want to do is be back on active duty. My question is how do I go about making this happen? As enlisted I know that I would go talk to the command career counselor but it does not seem to work that way as an officer. Who do I need to talk to and what does the process look like? Would I get much say in my first duty assignment? How long would it take?

I found some gouge on a program for enlisted to go from reserves to active but all it says about officers is that a similar program has been offered to officers for years. I can't seem to find anything to support that. Please help. Thank you!

azguy

None
Not really an answer to your question, but I know some reserve officers who are able to string Mob's and shorter term orders together back to back for years at a time. It's not the same as being active duty, but I do know it's very doable to work "full time" as a reservist if you really want to.

RHINOWSO

"Yeah, we are going to need to see that one again"
None
Not really an answer to your question, but I know some reserve officers who are able to string Mob's and shorter term orders together back to back for years at a time. It's not the same as being active duty, but I do know it's very doable to work "full time" as a reservist if you really want to.
Which will work until you near sanctuary, then they'll cut you off to ensure you retire as a reservist.

I'd start by calling BUPERS general number and asking there. You'll have to assume it'll take about four calls to get somebody who knows/cares enough to point you in the right direction. You can also email the enlisted side at RC_to_AC@Navy.mil and ask him/her to point you in the right direction (again, prepare to be underwhelmed with the help). You can also call your community manager and/or detailer, who should be able to point you in the right direction.

It will pay to do your homework beforehand, so that when you do finally get somebody who can help, you're spring loaded with all your questions. Are you thinking of going FTS or "real" active duty? Will you accept either? If FTS is easier, can you go FTS and then active after a while?

My biggest surprise in going from active to reserve was that nobody cared about my career but me. So yeah, I know this is probably blowing some of my active-duty buddies' minds, but the admin service you probably think is incredibly crappy (I did) is a giga-ton better than what you get in the reserves.

Good luck!

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
The board that handles lateral transfers and redesignations also handles Reserves to AD transfers. Go to the website and read the MILPERSMANs that are listed. As was said above, it's two separate boards who handle FTS and "real" Active Duty. It's possible to do this but it's difficult and they only accept a handful every year. Again, interface with your community manager(s) early and often if this is something you really want.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/boards/administrative/TransferRedesignation/Pages/default.aspx

unbroken

Naval officer
The board that handles lateral transfers and redesignations also handles Reserves to AD transfers. Go to the website and read the MILPERSMANs that are listed. As was said above, it's two separate boards who handle FTS and "real" Active Duty. It's possible to do this but it's difficult and they only accept a handful every year. Again, interface with your community manager(s) early and often if this is something you really want.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/boards/administrative/TransferRedesignation/Pages/default.aspx

Thanks for posting this. I've read through it but am not clear on how the 'year group / YG' is determined? Can someone w/knowledge of this please clarify?

Additionally, when one goes from RC to AC is that a lateral transfer or redesignation? I'm looking at this list and it seems these are just people who are switching communities, not necessarily RC->AC -- is that correct?

Thanks in advance!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Thanks for posting this. I've read through it but am not clear on how the 'year group / YG' is determined? Can someone w/knowledge of this please clarify?

Additionally, when one goes from RC to AC is that a lateral transfer or redesignation? I'm looking at this list and it seems these are just people who are switching communities, not necessarily RC->AC -- is that correct?

Thanks in advance!

Focus on getting in first as RC before you focus in on big picture stuff