• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USNA prep school

Mav0130

even if you're not going to be competitive the thread is still going to be referenced in the future. If I were you, I would go post-grad to a good military school and apply again. They orgy over that stuff.

-I believe that the nomination limit is around 4 per academy per member of congress or the house. I could be wrong on that number though, but it is valid to note that there is a limit on every individual academy

-Almost every senator or congressman has a section on their web page with instructions about how to apply for a nomination

-Also, there are more stipulations with nominations that I have not seen on this thread. first, any son or daughter of a service member (past or present) who received a medal of honor OR was disabled, killed, kept as a POW, or was declared missing in action will automatically receive a nomination.
Next, an ROTC superior can nominate a candidate for admission to the academy.
--of course, this is all explicitly outlined on the academy's website...http://www.usna.edu/Admissions/steps4.htm

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
My congressman had 10 nomination slots open. The process was about the same as any college application: fill out a basic application and write an essay explaining why you want to be there. Some might have an interview, but it depends on your Congressman.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
even if you're not going to be competitive the thread is still going to be referenced in the future. If I were you, I would go post-grad to a good military school and apply again. They orgy over that stuff.
[/url]

I think that's bad gouge. The prep school program is a specific program; there are plenty of people who go to real college who come here first. I would avoid the pseudo-military schools, and that sentiment was definitely echoed upon me by my B&G officer when it came time for me to select a Foundation school.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
its only $100 a month as a plebe

Uhhhh where is that coming from?

And, actually, you get a little over $900/month at all ranks (it's 35% of O-1 with no prior time pay); they just keep a lot of it in held pay for books and uniforms and whatnot until you're a firstie. Either way, you're taxed on the full amount.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Only $100 makes it into your bank account as a plebe. The rest goes to paying for your uniforms, computers, books, etc...

Semi true... As I said earlier, the rest is kept in held pay which is doled out into a separate "held pay" account (i.e. where your money comes from for your "Mid Card") and assuming you don't use your Mid-card buying tons of stuff (and thereby exceeding what you have in your account) then they pay it out to you eventually; often as an underclass they pay you some sum from your held pay account in April for training supply purposes or at the end of the summer if you're over the minimum credit for your held pay account. Anything left over is paid to you in your first check as a Firstie and what would have been held pay in the past now goes directly to your bank account as Firsties do not maintain held pay accounts. Capiche?

sfrankie08

pilot
Semi true... As I said earlier, the rest is kept in held pay which is doled out into a separate "held pay" account (i.e. where your money comes from for your "Mid Card") and assuming you don't use your Mid-card buying tons of stuff (and thereby exceeding what you have in your account) then they pay it out to you eventually; often as an underclass they pay you some sum from your held pay account in April for training supply purposes or at the end of the summer if you're over the minimum credit for your held pay account. Anything left over is paid to you in your first check as a Firstie and what would have been held pay in the past now goes directly to your bank account as Firsties do not maintain held pay accounts. Capiche?

Thats only partially true. I never used my mid card while I was there (except for the books they made us buy for the mando classes) and I know some people who used it all the time and we all got around the same held pay. The guy down there that handled our pay was never able to explain that to me...or why I alone paid 60$ a month for internet. Either way you get paid plenty enough to go catch a movie and grab dinner on the weekends.

Going back to original post on thread though - you don't apply separately to NAPS. The board will determine that the first time they look at your app package. I know people that I talked to who were not athletes but still got offers to NAPS or Foundation Schools when I was TAD to the Admissions office 2 years ago. Usually it was for applicants who were weaker in the math/science or whose schools didn't offer Calculus/Physics. No, you don't need a nomination to get into NAPS.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Thats only partially true. I never used my mid card while I was there (except for the books they made us buy for the mando classes) and I know some people who used it all the time and we all got around the same held pay. The guy down there that handled our pay was never able to explain that to me...or why I alone paid 60$ a month for internet. Either way you get paid plenty enough to go catch a movie and grab dinner on the weekends.

If you go through your LES it will detail every little bit of it and if you're not sure and you go to the guy they can detail every single charge down to the penny, and if there is an error they'll help you correct it. It's up to you to check your own LES though and find the discrepancies.

sfrankie08

pilot
If you go through your LES it will detail every little bit of it and if you're not sure and you go to the guy they can detail every single charge down to the penny, and if there is an error they'll help you correct it. It's up to you to check your own LES though and find the discrepancies.

I found the discrepancies, I showed the guy. It was the first year they started giving firsties more than just the standard $400 so he couldn't explain a lot of the random charges. Wasn't just me either. A few guys in my company did it with me. Doesn't matter now anyways..graduated in 08.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
I found the discrepancies, I showed the guy. It was the first year they started giving firsties more than just the standard $400 so he couldn't explain a lot of the random charges. Wasn't just me either. A few guys in my company did it with me. Doesn't matter now anyways..graduated in 08.

Roger. Didn't know that was the case. They've cleaned up their act since then for the most part it seems.

bigwill2876

IIRC each Congressperson can have 4 or 5 people in each particular Academy at any one time.

Most have a administrative person who specifically handles the applications. Most applicants start the application process early, like in their Junior year in high school. Immediately contact ALL your Congress offices.

You can't apply for a Foundation school or NAPS, you are given a option to attend one spot off of your USNA application package/record. The majority of NAPS graduates that continue onto USNA do so via Sec Navy appointments. You will be appointed if you maintain about a + 2.0 GPA, pass the medical/prt, have a good disipline record, and are rec by the CO at NAPS. You can also get DODMERB waivers for eyesight and other minor health issues either from DODMERB or the USNA Admissions office who can overrule DODMERB. The most common waiver is eyes, usually corrected later at USNA with PRK surgery.

It is possible to attend a Foundation School not on the NA Foundation dime and apply USNA, but I have no idea of that success path. Sounds like slim and none...

Some Junior Colleges prepare you to attend and then apply to Service Acadamies successfully, I know that Valley Forge Military Academy, Junior College has some success with USMA with that path.