• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USNA prep school

Ice-Goose

Hi Im a [high school] senior considering my college options theres no way i would ever get in to the USNA directly. do any off you know about the USNA prep school? how does one apply? what goes on there? does going assure a place at the academy?

phrogpilot73

Hi Im a senior considering my college options theres no way i would ever get in to the USNA directly. do any off you know about the USNA prep school? how does one apply? what goes on there? does going assure a place at the academy?
Never say never... I applied to USNA (albeit 4 times) and went straight there with no prep school and a 1.96 HS GPA. Gaijin went to NAPS I believe, so he can probably fill you in on what goes on at NAPS. Here's how it works: Apply to the Naval Academy. That's it, the Admissions Board determines if you go to the Naval Academy, NAPS or a Foundation School. You can't apply to any of them on your own.

As with other things in life, nothing is guaranteed. Provided you pass at the academics and the military stuff at the prep school then yes, your spot is assured at the Naval Academy. If your not up to the snuff, then you don't get a spot.

Also, I'm pretty sure that at this point NAPS is only for varsity athletes, prior enlisted, and minorities - but I could be wrong on this point.

Apply, the worst they can say is no. Then apply again, and again, and again.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Also, I'm pretty sure that at this point NAPS is only for varsity athletes, prior enlisted, and minorities - but I could be wrong on this point.

You are.

Most NAPSters fall into one or more of those categories, but there are some exceptions. We had a couple kids in my platoon who were white guys that didn't play a varsity sport.... or at least weren't recruited as varsity athletes.

@ the OP:

Like the phrog said: never say never. My first letter from USNA said flat out no thanks, try again next year. Yet a week later, I got a letter saying "Forget what we told you, you can go to NAPS".

As far as getting into NAPS goes, what phrog says is pretty spot on. You apply to the Academy (this goes for USMA and USAFA as well), and the admissions board tells you if you get straight in, go to NAPS or Foundation.

If you have any q's about NAPS, shoot me a PM. I went there 2000-2001, so things probably have changed, but I'll do my best to give some A's for your Q's.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

One of the English professors did an article exactly about that:

http://www.brucefleming.net/Interviews/wash%20post%20021603.htm

Oh yeah and for the original poster, NAPS c/o 05 here. I applied to USNA, didn't get accepted straight to the school, but was offered to go to NAPS which I did. Newport is a pretty sweet place, the pay was pretty sweet (~650 bucks as opposed to 200 as a plebe), and I met some awesome friends there. The most important part was by the time I graduated from the program I knew I wanted nothing to do with Annapolis and decided to go NROTC. Too summarize everything, if you get accepted to NAPS, DO IT!!!

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
You guys are getting 250 as plebes!?!?!?!? WTF? We got 75 for the first couple months, then someone felt sorry for us, and we got a "pay raise"... 100 a month.

Mav0130

yeah i applied to the academy while I was already a post graduate at a military school in Virginia. When I didnt get a nomination I thought it was the end of the world, but I stayed in college and got involved with the marine corps OCS program and im now contracted as a pilot. Its the best thing ive ever done and now im so happy that I didnt get into the Academy. However, if its what you REALLY want to do, dont let anybody tell you no...keep applying and make your application stand out(start a club, sport, or organization--something along those lines)

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
250 as a plebe? That's a bunch of crap! I got $100/ month last year and I'm a youngster and get $200/month now... where did you pull out $250?

Edit: I see you're talking about before deductions... I think before deductions, it's like $864/ month... it's supposed to be like 30% or 35% of O-1 Pay... can't remember the exact %.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
250 as a plebe? That's a bunch of crap! I got $100/ month last year and I'm a youngster and get $200/month now... where did you pull out $250?

Edit: I see you're talking about before deductions... I think before deductions, it's like $864/ month... it's supposed to be like 30% or 35% of O-1 Pay... can't remember the exact %.

I thought (before deductions) it was 250. I stand corrected.

Ice-Goose

thx for the answers
I dont really know any thing about appointments could someone explain them to me?
do you need to be appointed by a senator/congressmen to get into USNA or NAPS?
how do you go about geting one?
are senator/congressmen limited giving them?

btw i said i probably wouldnt get in because is november and the application is due in january i figure it to late to be competive now.

phrogpilot73

do you need to be appointed by a senator/congressmen to get into USNA or NAPS?
You need a NOMINATION from a Senator, Congressman, Secretary of the Navy, President, or Vice President. President is reserved for military dependents I believe, Senator/Congressman/Vice President are competitive. SecNav Nominations are for prior enlisted guys.

how do you go about geting one?
Contact your local senator/congressmen's office and ask them. They each do it differently, but they receive a ton of applicants, so expect almost a full blown applicaiton + interview with them.

are senator/congressmen limited giving them?
Yup, I'm not sure but I think it's only a handful (or less) per.

btw i said i probably wouldnt get in because is november and the application is due in january i figure it to late to be competive now.
Not necessarily too late to be competitive, but the senators/congressman have probably already made the first cut AT LEAST to who they're going to nominate. You should have been in the running a bit earlier with them...