• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USNA package question

Cleonard19

Contributor
So I've done some searching around, but I can't seem to find an answer to my question. Maybe someone here can shed some insight.

First, a little background.

I graduated from prototype on 14AUG, and I've been on hold here waiting for STA-21 results. I'm also concurrently finishing up my USNA package. I worked my freaking tail off here to make up for some academic shortcomings in power school, and succeeded. This is my last year that i'm eligible for the Academy, and REALLY want to get in.

However, my CCC is hell bent on getting me orders to sea .000003 seconds after STA-21 results come out, assuming I don't get picked up. I was speaking to one of the civilians at the admissions office today, and it came up the possibility of putting in the package AND transferring.

I know that with STA-21, you can't PCS once you submit your package, or after you get picked up, but she didn't seem to think that the Academy had the same policy, which, if true, would allow me to finish my package here (The only things I have left are my CO's LOR and my SECNAV nomination request, which are submitted concurrently) and then take orders out to sea.

Has anyone ever heard/experienced anything one way or another about this? I'd really hate to see my CCC and his staff be the sole thing that stops me from going to the academy. (The lady I was talking to works with the nuke selection board and seemed to think that my package was stronger than anything she'd seen go across her desk yet this year, which gives me lots of hope.)

Cleonard19

Contributor
NVM, BGO sent me this, from their instruction:
d. Transfer Policy (1) Candidates for the Naval Academy/NAPS receiving Permanent Change of Station orders, for execution subsequent to applying for this program, should not be transferred until officially notified of selection or non-selection to the Naval Academy or NAPS. If a transfer directive is received, commanding officers shall notify the orders originating authority that the individual has applied for appointment to the Naval Academy and that orders be held in abeyance until notification of selection or non-selection. If the applicant is selected, the commanding officer shall notify the orders originator that the individual has been selected and that orders be canceled. If the applicant is not selected, the command shall transfer the individual and notify the orders originator that the orders have been executed. Any questions regarding this policy should be directed to the Admissions Office Fleet Coordinator at (410) 293-1840/DSN 281.

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
As per OPNAVINST 1420.1A:

Candidates for the Naval Academy/NAPS receiving Permanent Change of Station orders, for execution subsequent to applying for this program, should not be transferred until officially notified of selection or non-selection to the Naval Academy or NAPS. If a transfer directive is received, commanding officers shall notify the orders originating authority that the individual has applied for appointment to the Naval Academy and that orders be held in abeyance until notification of selection or non-selection. If the applicant is selected, the commanding officer shall notify the orders originator that the individual has been selected and that orders be canceled. If the applicant is not selected, the command shall transfer the individual and notify the orders originator that the orders have been executed. Any questions regarding this policy should be directed to the Admissions Office Fleet Coordinator at (410) 293-1840/DSN 281.

sfrankie08

pilot
Have you talked to the admissions counselor there that works specifically/only with enlisted applicants?
He would probably be best suited to answer your questions (he is also the one that presents your package to the admissions board)