• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USNA MDN/Grads

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoneSailor

Has anyone entered the Academy as a 22 year old or know a person who has? How has your/their experience been being that they are the more "mature" :) plebes.

I just turned 20 and I have not yet submitted a package but I intend to do so within the coming admission cycle. Also I am currently enlisted.

V/R,

CTR3 Pasion

Goodfella

SNA @ NASWF
One of my good friends came to the Academy after two years of enlisted service on a submarine and a year at NAPS. He just completed primary as a SNFO and is on his way to San Antonio for his next stage of training. From what I have seen, there is not a huge difference between those prior enlisted and those fresh out of high school. The main differefence is that the prior enlisted are much more squared away and have an advantage during plebe summer, since they have learned how to properly fold their underwear and make hospital corners. As for maturity, it depends and generalizations are not truly relevant. Some priors are more mature, others are no different than those fresh out of high school. As long as you can have a thick skin and not get hung up on the fact that during plebe summer you will be yelled at and trained by people often younger thn you with two years of Academy experience as their only background in the military, you will be fine. That is a major sticking point for some priors, but take it with a grain of salt and play the game. Good luck with your application.

rjack14

F/A-18F WSO (FRS)
None
I was prior for two years before coming and graduate this year. The toughest thing is being 23 with a curfew, 25 for my older classmates. Plebe summer was a bit more rough when they found out I was prior. But before they did it was great to hear them tell me they didn't want me in their navy, haha. You also can't drink as a plebe. I think overall its an advantage to be older, cause you have a clue about real life. So go for it.

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
yeah, i'm turning 21 this year. i'm going to apply to the academy (although i KNOW that i'm not going to get in.) i know that i have low hopes to get into the academy, but hey, at least i tried, right?

midjjj

Happy Helo Bubba
As a Grad that came right out of high school, I'll tell you that all of my friends that were priors, or even those that had a year of college or two under the belts handled a few things differently than us youngins. The first thing is the increased responsibility given to priors and "NAPSters" during plebe year and summer. It all evens out (for the most part anyway), but during that time, the past military indoc training will pay off as part of "playing the game". Second, as mentioned, don't expect to get treated like a 23/24 year old. Chances are a large number of your upperclass will be younger than you. All part of it. FYI, I turned 22 on the day I graduated. Hope that helps a little, best of luck.

---------------
Happy Helo Bubba

HerrLURP

I entered at the ripe old age of 20. Besides a few jokers calling me, "mom," I've actually found my age and maturity to be a plus. I don't care so much about partying and girls, and I'm not as likely to get caught up in a lot of the stupid drama and games going on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.