• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USNA Marine or ROTC Marine Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRM21o

Does coming from the boat school have any effect on your USMC career vs. ROTC at a normal college (one you have grown up wanting to go there)? I'm enlisted and have an opportunity to do either one and wanted to see if it was worth risking not getting a Marine slot at the academy in order to gain benefits later down the road.

My heart is set on staying green and doing Marine Air but there are very limited amount of slots at the academy compared to PLC/ROTC. To me it seems like the Marine USNA grads are Navy-trained Marines. I know a Navy Officer from USNA looks good but what about a Marine officer from USNA? I see the Marine prestige as being geared more towards earning the Title through bootcamp/OCS? Thanks!

pjxc415

pilot
I don't think it matters either way. Advancement in the Corps is based completely on merit, regardless of where you came from.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
I am currently a MIDN @ Embry-Riddle NROTC and our marine options are sure as hell marine-green though and though. Our MOI is a Harrior Pilot and our AMOI is a former D.I.. So we all get our share of the marine side. The MECPS that come from the fleet are pretty well motivated (I guess you better be if your a mustang) so that adds to the pride of the marine-option MIDN. Also, from what Im hearing from the Marine-Opts that just got back from OCS and Bulldog, they say it was pretty damn tough. This intel is also being verified by the MECPS that accompanied the Marine-Opts to OCS and Bulldog

Bevo16

pilot
I had the same option back in 1997, and I chose to go the ROTC route. The only difference being that I was enlisted Navy, not USMC. 6 years later, I can say that I would not have changed a thing. One of the big reasons that I decided to enlist out of high school was so I could grow up a little bit. I felt that I had done that to a point where I would not need or want the type of overbearing supervision that you will get at the Academy. If you go to the academy, you are going to have to swallow a lot of pride your first couple of years to play the game. If you go to an ROTC unit you will still have to play the game, but it is a lot different. Your job will be to go to school and make grades. You will not have someone going into your room every day and picking out bull**** reasons to jack with you. As long as you keep your GPA up and show up to drill, you are golden. At ROTC you will also be able to go out on the weekends, have a car, have a beer, have a girlfriend etc.

USNA vs ROTC may still matter a little bit in the Navy but I honestly can't say that I have seen an instance where it has. I am pretty sure that it would matter even less in the Corps. There are so few Marine officers that go to the Academy that it would be impossible for them to descriminate.

Good job getting picked up for both options, now go and enjoy the next four years and have a real college experience. What ROTC units are you considering?

Status
Not open for further replies.