• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USNA Class of 2016

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I think the "no excuse, sir" line still has its time and place. I've used it (or some less formal variation of it) plenty of times in a debrief or such setting, knowing that anything else is just reaching into the excuse matrix treasure box. If a specific explanation was asked, then yes, it is the wrong answer. But for the run of the mill "why did you do a dirty roll at 400 kts with the dumps on over CAG's house?" line of questioning, it is fitting. Much better than "I thought that's how you tried out for the Blues?......"

BackOrdered

Contributor
The Black Ninja murdered anyone who said, "no excuse sir" and I'm glad he did. My arms, legs and shoulders immediately give and buckle into muscle failure from memory when I hear or say it now.

KBayDog

But for the run of the mill "why did you do a dirty roll at 400 kts with the dumps on over CAG's house?" line of questioning, it is fitting.

I disagree. When I screw something up (which never happens, but for sake of argument, assume that I'm not perfect), I give an answer as to why...an answer that always involves my thought process. "No excuse, Sir" displays ignorance. "I'm a dumbass with extremely poor judgment who willfully violated your trust and confidence (not to mention every order in the book), yet I thoroughly enjoyed my last flight in the Navy" is a more fitting response to your scenario.

Boat Schoolers use "No Excuse, Sir" a cop-out, as if just saying those three words will make everything okay. That may or may not fly in Annapolis (I don't know, and I don't care), but it doesn't work when the training wheels come off.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
KBay is exactly right.

The one thing that I feel the Academy doesn't teach is the difference between and answer and an excuse. The intent of the "No excuse sir" is to get you to take responsibility for your fuck-ups as a Plebe. After Plebe year, it should completely go away. It is a cop out, and it doesn't make everything OK.

robav8r

None
Contributor
I've used it (or some less formal variation of it) plenty of times in a debrief or such setting, knowing that anything else is just reaching into the excuse matrix treasure box.

And let's not forget it takes years and years and a great deal of operational experience to fill that "treasure box" of excuses. :)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I disagree. When I screw something up (which never happens, but for sake of argument, assume that I'm not perfect), I give an answer as to why...an answer that always involves my thought process. "No excuse, Sir" displays ignorance. "I'm a dumbass with extremely poor judgment who willfully violated your trust and confidence (not to mention every order in the book), yet I thoroughly enjoyed my last flight in the Navy" is a more fitting response to your scenario.

Maybe we are just debating semantics, as your example is pretty much what I meant. I tend to lump the "I'm a dumbass and will do better at that next time" into the same category

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Maybe we are just debating semantics, as your example is pretty much what I meant. I tend to lump the "I'm a dumbass and will do better at that next time" into the same category

Good point, as KBay isn't exactly perfect...

BUt on a serious note, yeah... I think both are a cop out. At some point as responsible ADULTS, you've got to realize that there is a reason for every choice you make. And when those choices lead to a fuck-up, you've got to understand why you did what you did in order to properly understand the consequences. While the "No excuse, sir" and "I'm a dumbass and will do better next time" are good for initially teaching the burden of personal responsibility, it needs to go further. Further to the point of "I'm a dumbass because I viloated the rule book. I chose to do that because I figured a 5oo knot flaperon roll at 100 Ft over CAG's House would impress his 19 year old daughter who knew I was flying today because I want to marry her one day". One has to understand the reason for a choice in order to take responsibility for it and correct the deficiency. "No excuse sir" and "I'm a dumbass" don't allow for it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I always tried to approach it this way:

"There's no excuse/there's not a good reason I (or this person) did this, but I can tell you the thought process on why I (or this person) did it." Usually someone wants to hear the "reason" (which may or may not be perceived as an excuse). Sometimes they just want to rant.