• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USNA and NAPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blacky

Props, baby!
pilot
By July or so the wait SHOULD have gotten back down to 3-4 weeks, but who knows. It all depends on how fast they're pumping people through in Primary. YES, NSS starts with primary. Don't believe the BS they try to feed you in API about that their tests mean anything. I mean, don't fail them, but don't kill yourself studying. Unless you like the late nights studying for something that you'll forget 30 seconds after the test.

rjack14

F/A-18F WSO (FRS)
None
I am the other Jackson in our class and I also got NFO (go figure on that huh?). Last night I chose my date for flight school and I got June 4th. Not that I had a choice actually. My question is about the top 10% of API getting pilot if you an NFO. Whats the likely hood of this?
Thanks.

LoneSailor

Om my god, I'm in the same position as Jess. I have been in the Navy for a little over a year now. In the little time I have been in the Navy I have garnered many awards, to include LOC's, BJOQ's and nominated for Regional BJOQ. I am currently serving as a Crypto. I was never interested in the Naval Avademy nor getting a commission. That was until a couple of months ago my Divo, LPO and seniors sat me down and told me about the Naval Academy. My Divo was prior enlisted and a graduate of NAPS and USNA.

Like I stated, I was never interested in becoming an officer or going to the academy. In time though, I kept thinking about it. Eventually it just grew in me and as time passed I became more curious about the Academy and being an officer.

Today it is one of THE major goals in life; graduate from the academy and earn a commission.

I have a problem though, I did not do as stellar as I should have in highschool. I regret that a lot. I have never taken the SAT or ACT, but am fixed to study and take both.

I just missed the admission cycle for class of 2008, but I am determined to get into class of 2009. I have a whole years worth to prepare my package. I have atleast 7 months to prepare for the ACT/SAT(i want to take both). I'll continue on with my community/command involvement. I also want to take a couple of college classes, mainly writting and math.

I have my Divo, Dep Head, and also my CO's backing for LOR's. I have many awards. I will be 21 this May, so this means this years Cycle is my last oppurtunity to get into the Academy. By next year I will be 22 and would have been disqualified for NAPS. So this is my last chance. I am trying to get as much help as I can. Like I said, it's one of my main goals in life to get accepted into the academy.

Jackson, if you have any helpful tips or suggestion for me please contact me or leave a message on this thread. Thanks.

JessVess84

LoneSailor-EMAIL ME AND I CAN TALK TO YOU ABOUT ALL OF THIS CAUSE YOU ARE RIGHT! YOU ARE IN THE SAME POSSITION AS ME!EXACT!!!!!!

jacksonwt2g

If you haven't taken the SAT or ACT yet, I recommend you take it early and often because only your highest scores count. I think the first time I took the SAT I got a 1040 and the final time I had improved my score by 350 points. I had taken some college courses in between those but even before going to college I think I had raised it to a 1200. I don't know about the ACT. My mother caught me sneaking in drunk at 4am the morning I was supposed to take it and wouldn't let me go, and I just never signed up for it again. I'm sure it's the same way, though. I know cryptos are one of the preferred source rates for the academy so that will be a plus. Make sure your chain of command includes plenty of letters of recommendation in your application. If you have any specific questions, let me know. If anyone wants to reach me directly, my aim is the same as my login name here: JacksonWt2g.

JessVess84

jacksonwt2g- I was wondering on what information do you have about NAPS and how the whole process works. What uniform do you wear? What classes do you take? Things of that nature! I know this sounds funny or rediculous, but I recieved the video of the entire experience at the academy. The one thing that I wonder about what I should work on would be the swimming aspect at the academy! I can swim and tread water for a long time, but I am wondering if I should get swim lessons to learn the actual swim strokes for when I and if I get accepted to the academy? I know it sounds like a minimal concern, but its one that I wonder about! I saw the thing about 40 years I think its called! Thats why I am wondering! Thank you for your time!

jacksonwt2g

NAPS- has a 3-week indoc period and then about 9 months of classes. The classes are the science fundamentals: calculus, physics, chemistry, and english as kind of a bonus. You go to class mon-fri and wear working blues, SDBs, dungarees, and I think you have a set of khakis or two. Prior enlisted candidates wear their crows on dungarees (or chevrons on cammies, charlies, etc... for prior marines) they also wear their fleet dress uniforms on fridays with your actual PO crow or whatever. You get paid your enlisted base pay while there or E-1 pay for candidates with no enlisted background. They have most of the sports there that the academy has including, rugby, sailing, lax, football, basketball, aand whatever else. Newport is as cold as hell during the winter and it seems like there is a constant 30 knot wind blowing in dec and jan. NAPS serves as a prep school for all the maritime academies so you go to class with navy, coast guard, and merchant marines academy candidates. You take 3 trimesters of classes and after the first trimester, they give extra liberty for good grades. otherwise liberty is just on weekends with a cinderella cerfew. Providence is less than an hour away and is a great city. New York can be a day trip but is better as a 2-day trip. There is a lot of skiing in the area. Boston is close too. I don't know what else you want to know.

Swimming- The 40-year swim is a minimum of 1500 yards in 40 mins wearing khakis (shirt and pants). You can use any stroke you want and most people alternate between crawl, side, and back. You take a series of swim classes before the 40-year where they teach proper form for the different strokes and you are tested on them, but it isn't difficult and you don't need to waste money on classes before you get here. There is also extra help available for those who need it. There is also a test on underwater swimming and everyone needs to jump off the 10 meter platform before they can graduate. As long as you are at least comfortable with that stuff, I wouldn't worry about it. There is an entire series of pe classes you have to take here including wrestling, boxing, and judo.

JessVess84

Jacksonwt2g- Thank you! If I come up with any other specific questions, I will ask them. I have to look at some more things before I can come up with more! and once again. Thank you for your time!

Status
Not open for further replies.