• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USNA and NAPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

futrMarineBlueAngel

The USNA Grads I have met attended NAPS. In what way does NAPS help an individual at the Academy? Is NAPS geared more toward helping with academics or the transition from civilian life to the fast paced life at the USNA? I will be graduating at 16 and attending a local college for a year before hopefully going to the Academy. Currently I am in the top 3% of my class and am involved in ALOT of extracurricular activities as well as NJROTC. Should I even consider attending NAPS?

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
No ... NAPS is to prepare people academically. It is mostly used for prior enlisted and recuited athletes.

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
i have a question...

i am turning 21 this year, and i still have to bring my gpa up (i'm in a community college right now.) my birthday is also june 5th. if i get into NAPS instead of USNA, i will be 27 before july 1st. can i get a waiver because i spent a year in NAPS if i actually get accepted into it? sorry if this is confusing.

JessVess84

I have a question? I have been in the Navy for a little over a year and I wanted to see if anyone had any thing they could tell me about applying to the academy and to sta-21 program. I am 19 and in my year in the navy I have already made third class last september cycle(2003) and I have a lot of prior extra ciricular activities that I did in high school and out of high school during my high school years. I am applying to the academy and I will also apply to the Sta-21 program. I would love more than ever to get accepted to the Academy, but my overall goal is to become a naval officer. I was in the Naval Sea Cadet Corps, AFJROTC, and I attended the National Youth Leadership Forum on Defense, Intelligence and Diplomacy in Washington D.C. I have had a lot of accomplishments and I have a very strong package as far as Letters of Recommendation, 3 LOC's, 1 Flag LOC, and about 6 letters of appreciation. The only thing that makes me worried is the fact that I didnt apply myself in high school and it shows in my transcripts. All of my standardized tests show that I can handle the knowledge, but I am not to sure that the Naval Academy will go by what I have accomplished, and not just kick me out of the pile for grades. What should I do to make them see through that. I dont mind having to go to NAPS to prove it to them, i just dont want to get my hopes up for no reason!
Thank you,
Jessica

BYPASS

Jessica- When are you thinking of applying? It's late to be thinking about it for the c/o 2008. Candidates have already received their nominations and I believe this month is the last acceptable for any test scores. However, it is a great time to start working on the application process for the c/o 2009. Depending on what your test scores are and your GPA/class ranking, the Board will make a decision whether or not you're scholastically qualified. Sounds like you have many accomplishments in the Navy and admissions loves to see that. By all means, let them know you would put in an extra year at NAPS to prepare for the academy. Good luck!

JessVess84

BYPASS-I am applying to the Sta-21 Officer program by the 1st of July, and then if I dont get accepted to that, then I will have everything that I need for my package to the academy ready to submit by October of this year. I know about it being to late for the c/o 2008, but at this point, I would just like to get there. If I go next year, then that would be fine. Like I said before, the only thing that I worry about is my GPA and my class ranking. I think that is the only thing that might prevent me from going to the academy. I really would hate to know that what I did as a young teenager prevents me from doing what I really want. Thank you BYPASS, and hope to keep everyone informed.

jacksonwt2g

JessVess84, I am graduating this year from usna. I was prior enlisted, and attended naps. My grades in high school were not outstanding (about a 3.0) and I had almost no other activities to distinguish myself. I am proof that we underachievers are given second chances. The usna selection board will take your enlisted record into consideration more than anything else. As long as your A-school grades and fleet performance are impressive you will be competitive. Working in a technical rate is also a great help. Certain rates are pretty common here. Mostly nukes, but also cryptos and a lot of others...even prior marines (har). I would suggest you include in your essay, which is part of the lengthy application, that you talk about learning from your high school mistakes and showing, through specific examples, how you have fixed the problem.

Enishi1983, the academy has a pretty rigid age policy as far as I understand. I am the third oldest person in my class and was 22 on induction day. I turned 23 two weeks into plebe summer. I have never heard of anyone older than 22 being accepted, but they will take your age into consideration when deciding whether to send you to naps or not. I sometimes wonder if I would have gotten a direct appointment if I had been two weeks older.

If you guys have any other questions that I can help you with, fire away.

JessVess84

Jacksonwt2g-So besides the GPA thing,being that mine was lower than yours, All of my activities that i participated in during high school and out of high school will be looked at more or would you say less than my GPA? I have nine pages of eveything that has to do with military performance that I have participated in all the way back to 2000 til today, wednesday, January 21st. I just would really love to go there and I have already decided what activities I will do when I get there. If you have anything else, that would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

jacksonwt2g

Jess- I think they will focus more on your enlisted performance and most recent SAT scores than your high school records. Your high school records will be a factor, but I have no idea how they rate GPA v. ECAs. I do know that the selection board gives a lot of leeway to prior enlisted applicants because they bring all their fleet knowledge and experience to the other inductees. In fact, the reason plebe summer and NAPS indoc run as smoothly as they do is because they have prior enlisted candidates running around in the background filling in the gaps and teaching the other kids (who might have no idea about anything military) what is happening. I think incoming classes are about 10% prior enlisted. That being said, they still choose only the most competitive enlisted. SAT scored have to be current and they will help you with admission, but if you have been out of school long or had bad grades there, they will probably ask you to attend NAPS. The nice thing about that is that you are pretty much in the door if you finish with above a 2.5. They have you retake the SAT there and your score will almost certainly improve (mine increased 190 points). Believe it or not, a major eliminator of applicants is the application itself. If you haven't looked at it yet, you might want to. You have to complete psych profiles, physical fitness tests, an essay, transcripts, SAT scores, medical and dental exams, eye tests, and a load of other forms on top of the application itself. The first time I started the application process, I got bogged down with the forms and eventually had to start over. Don't get discouraged. After high school, I attended a state university and got poor marks. I enlisted partially because I was on academic probation there (<2.0). If the academy is what you really want, then go for it. It isn't for everyone, however, and make sure you know what you're getting yourself into before you make these life-altering decisions. A lot of people spend a year at NAPS just to get here and decide it isn't for them. It has to be something you do for yourself. I have watch tonight, so I am going to stop here, but ask more questions if you have them, about admissions, academy life, or anything else.

JessVess84

jacksonwt2g- I am waiting for my test results for the ACT and if I think of any more questions, I won't be affraid to ask! Thank you and if you think of anything else, let me know! Thank you once again!

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
btw jacksonwt2g, what are you right now? a plebe or a sophomore? what community are you trying to get into in the navy (flying most likely, right?) also, do they have a chemistry major at the academy?

jacksonwt2g

I am a firstie and am graduating in May. I selected NFO yesterday and am hoping to leave for API in July or August. They do have a chemistry major. You can find out quite a bit about them and other stuff from the academy webpage www.usna.edu

Blacky

Props, baby!
pilot
Jacks- the earlier you get to API, the better. I mean, don't NOT take basket leave after graduation, but get there soon after. The idiots that thought it would be cool to wait and TAD until November are going to be waiting to class up until probably March or April. It sucks to be sitting around waiting for months. Good luck! Oh, and no matter what anyone tells you....API DOES NOT COUNT TOWARD YOUR NSS WHATSOEVER. So pass, but don't think that it will make a bit of difference how well you did there.

jacksonwt2g

yeah, July is the first class date after basket so, I am hoping to pick that one up or the earliest one I can get after that. Should I not expect to class up until 4-5 month after my report date? I guess I can't complain about being paid to sit around Pensacola. So, NSS starts with Primary? What is up with the new primediate set-up? I should probably move this over to another forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.