• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USNA and NAPS athletic coaches

Hair Warrior

Contributor
https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-...s/Documents/PA-100C_USNA_Coaches_Dec-2019.pdf

According to this PA, athletic coaches at USNA and NAPS are actually commissioned officers, designator 1200 (same as Restricted Line Special Duty for Human Resources).

The only accession source is civilian. They can only complete 3-5 years AD, with no further extensions, and no follow-on assignments. It's not clear to me whether they can promote beyond LTJG even if they reach the 4 year mark.

I had no idea these jobs were commissioned officer positions. I wonder what the purpose of that is (vs. being DoN civilians). I'm guessing UCMJ authority but that is just a guess. Anyone in the know?

Huffs09

None
The vast, vast majority of coaches at USNA are civilian. They are employed by the Naval Academy Athletic Association (NAAA) which is a non-governmental organization that runs the Division 1 sports program at the Academy. They receive a small amount of funds from the government but the vast majority of their income comes from donations and ticket sales, and this is what pays the coaches' salaries.

You can read about it here.

You can also look at the staff directory for all the coaches at the Naval Academy here. You'll notice that there are two USMC coaches, one on the regular football team and one on the sprint football team, but both of them are "real" Marines and have done other tours outside of the Academy.

Reading the link that you attached does not specifically refer to "coaches" but rather PE instructors. USNA does have instructors that teach swimming, boxing, wrestling, and a litany of other courses to regular midshipmen. Some of these instructors are regular URL officers on shore tours (my "combat conditioning" class, for example, was "taught" by a P3 NFO), some are civilians (the gymnastics coach for instance taught a rock climbing class), and some are apparently commissioned officers under the program you refer too. Since the instructors all showed up to these classes in athletic gear it was sometimes difficult to tell which category they fell into.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Since the instructors all showed up to these classes in athletic gear it was sometimes difficult to tell which category they fell into.

My assistant golf instructor was one of these guys. I only know because he identified himself as ENS Soandso and all of us Mids went cross-eyed. He showed his ID but it still seemed unbelievable to us.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-...s/Documents/PA-100C_USNA_Coaches_Dec-2019.pdf

According to this PA, athletic coaches at USNA and NAPS are actually commissioned officers, designator 1200 (same as Restricted Line Special Duty for Human Resources).

The only accession source is civilian. They can only complete 3-5 years AD, with no further extensions, and no follow-on assignments. It's not clear to me whether they can promote beyond LTJG even if they reach the 4 year mark.

I had no idea these jobs were commissioned officer positions. I wonder what the purpose of that is (vs. being DoN civilians). I'm guessing UCMJ authority but that is just a guess. Anyone in the know?

I know a couple guys who played sports at the academy and then spent the summer after they commissioned coaching at the academy and NAPS before they showed up to the ship. It seemed like a pretty good deal to be a commissioned officer for six months and do nothing but coach baseball or whatever.

taxi1

pilot
It seemed like a pretty good deal to be a commissioned officer for six months and do nothing but coach baseball or whatever.

They_Were_Expendable_poster.jpg

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It is a great deal and it's not just for guys who played varsity. I initially had a FEB P'cola report date out of USNA and had a handshake deal with the Sailing department to be a coach while stashed. My pretty much sole qualification was that I did CSTS Firstie summer and therefore still remembered what the pointy end of the boat was called.

Wound up swapping dates with another dude and classing up in July so I didn't need a stash billet. In hindsight...