• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS USN Waiver Process

Metromedic

Contributor
No issues whatsoever. I've actually never been in better shape, but the military seems to have a problem with this surgery because the Marines were quick to DQ me. I don't think it was too complex, they shaved the bone down a little and fixed up the surrounding labrum so there was a couple parts but neither of which took very long to recover from.
That one beats me then. Did they DQ you at MEPS with USMC or just out the gate?

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for responding. I was actually never seen by anyone for the USMC. I mentioned hip pain in my first medical package with them which of course I was DQ’d for, then BUMED didn’t give me a waiver so I got the surgery to fix the hip pain and resubmitted to BUMED for the USMC with all of the new medical records and still no luck with the waiver. As of now I am trying with the Navy because as I mentioned N3M does list arthroscopic surgery as a waiverable condition. Hope that helps fill in the gaps.
This is going to be your issue, you were denied by BUMED already with the USMC, now you are trying to get approved for a waiver for the USN which is also BUMED......... they denied you once already so they would need to overturn their past decision, not impossible, but not probable at all.

Kyle42

This is going to be your issue, you were denied by BUMED already with the USMC, now you are trying to get approved for a waiver for the USN which is also BUMED......... they denied you once already so they would need to overturn their past decision, not impossible, but not probable at all.

View attachment 28134
Makes sense, I assumed the two would overlap at some point. I'm going to keep on trying though. Thanks for this info, who knows, maybe something will fall my way.

Kyle42

That one beats me then. Did they DQ you at MEPS with USMC or just out the gate?
Just out the gate which is why I have a little hope, if I can just see a Navy Doc in person they could see how capable I am. Problem is my OSO is not helping me get there any time soon.

Metromedic

Contributor
Just out the gate which is why I have a little hope, if I can just see a Navy Doc in person they could see how capable I am. Problem is my OSO is not helping me get there any time soon.
If it was out the gate, then it’s likely not through BUMED. I’m guessing it was a recruiter who make a quick decision without asking. Unless he actually went deep into it?

exNavyOffRec

If it was out the gate, then it’s likely not through BUMED. I’m guessing it was a recruiter who make a quick decision without asking. Unless he actually went deep into it?
In another post he says BUMED turned him away, and then after surgery would not waiver him.

exNavyOffRec

It is up to the medical facility to determine if they will see you or not, or any military facility for that matter. In general most military facilities will not see non-military unless it is a dependent, we had to jump through all types of hoops to get person seen, and that was after a call to the CO of that facility from the CO of our NRD, some facilities are more easy going though.

On the forms there is a spot where you have to put if you were ever denied entry into any of the services, you will need to mark yes and why, the hurdle you have to overcome is that when that medical facility sees that, then that the highest level of waiver turned you down why would they see you, what needs to happen is that you need your OR to talk to BUMED to see what evidence they will need to give you a waiver. It is that specific as I have done it before, I just asked point blank what evidence do you need to give a waiver and in that 1 case is when my guy was sent to a medical facility, in the other cases they said no amount of evidence will lead us to chance our determination.

Kyle42

What I remember happening was it going to DODMERB, being DQ’d, then we tried getting a waiver from BUMED. Surprisingly MEPS wasn’t even utilized, I’ve been told it sounds like my USMC OSO kind of did the bare minimum with my case by even other Marine recruiters.

exNavyOffRec

What I remember happening was it going to DODMERB, being DQ’d, then we tried getting a waiver from BUMED. Surprisingly MEPS wasn’t even utilized, I’ve been told it sounds like my USMC OSO kind of did the bare minimum with my case by even other Marine recruiters.
the USMC process is different, that sounds like the standard process, eventually you would have gone to Pensacola for a flight physical.

How long between surgery and the time they tried for a waiver again?

exNavyOffRec

It’s pretty sad if that’s the driver for recruitment. Is that written somewhere or passed from someone?

That was from N3M years ago and it is fairly well known, if a person is accepted on a waiver anything that later is found to be an issue that will lead to some amount of disability pay. If they bring him in and then later he has hip issues then he will or could get pay for it as once he is discharged.

A Captain at N3M put it pretty blunt, there is always another person who wants to join, so why would they waiver every person that they review. I called and talked to the Captain once about a guy who was a great person and I thought would make a great officer, he said "Chief, is this the only candidate that can do this job for the USN", I said no, then he said "well Chief, go out and find that other guy that can do the same job"

Kyle42

the USMC process is different, that sounds like the standard process, eventually you would have gone to Pensacola for a flight physical.

How long between surgery and the time they tried for a waiver again?
About 3 months, we didn’t even include my physical therapy notes which I have recently learned is a crucial piece of information.

exNavyOffRec

About 3 months, we didn’t even include my physical therapy notes which I have recently learned is a crucial piece of information.

That is your in right there, typically there is a 6 month wait, you need to make sure that is emphasized.

Often they will not review PT notes, they will want the doctor to review them and write up his determination.