• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS USN Waiver Process

Chuckdan

I went through Walter Reed back in July and it was extremely stress free compared to MEPS when I went in 2013. With Walter Reed my recruiter told me everything was booked out and apparently they only update their slots on a monthly basis, so I took it upon myself to call and they got me in that month. I’m not sure why they got me in when I called and not when my recruiter did, but try to call yourself and see what they say if you haven’t already! Best of luck to you!

Kyle42

I went through Walter Reed back in July and it was extremely stress free compared to MEPS when I went in 2013. With Walter Reed my recruiter told me everything was booked out and apparently they only update their slots on a monthly basis, so I took it upon myself to call and they got me in that month. I’m not sure why they got me in when I called and not when my recruiter did, but try to call yourself and see what they say if you haven’t already! Best of luck to you!
Thanks! Coming from someone who went to the same facility I really appreciate your input! I plan on start calling daily this week, hopefully I can get some luck.

Chuckdan

Thanks! Coming from someone who went to the same facility I really appreciate your input! I plan on start calling daily this week, hopefully I can get some luck.
Just thought of this, but make sure when you are approved for part 1 of your commissioning physical that you ask what else needs to be scheduled for that day. Some of the physical is scheduled automatically, but some is not. If I remember correctly I had to schedule myself for hearing test, dental and one or two others (I wish I could remember, just ask internal medicine). Also it helps to have dd forms 2807 and 2808 with you and filled out as much as you can. Also that base is a MAZE and your appointments may be back to back so ask someone for help or look at a map. Any other questions feel free to message me!
PS. you can't schedule part 2 until part one is complete. Note that it won't be "complete" until about a week or two after so it's on you to schedule that I believe. You'll receive phone calls regarding results from the test.
Best of luck!

Lemwolf

Hello all,

I've been working with a Navy OSO to hopefully attend OCS in the near future. We've got everything done for me to be ready for the selection board except receive a medical waiver for a hip surgery I had done over the summer. I've been consistent on asking for updates regarding possibly getting a MEPS appointment or a Walter Reed physical readiness exam. I've been waiting for months for some sort of progress to be made. My recruiter has said "At this point MEPS is pointless so we'll have to keep calling Walter Reed to get you seen there." I'm just curious as to why MEPS is pointless, my medical records are about 75 pages long which I get will take a long time to review but wouldn't it be better than not being in line at all? Are there any other options to try and get a med waiver other than trying to call Walter Reed everyday and schedule something even though they are always booked? I know these questions would probably be best answered by my recruiter but they seem to be always very busy and it's hard to get in depth responses. It feels like my recruiter is giving me the minimum required effort but maybe that isn't the case. Any and all feedback would be appreciated, thanks everyone!
I had to get a medical waiver when I first joined the Navy it took like 5 months. Hope that is not the case for you, your recruiter will have to push the issue. Im not sure if you are not in the Navy already to call someone to help you push your paperwork? If not you will have to stay on top of your waivers. The Navy gets alot of medical waivers, you need to know what stack you fall in and if they are backed up on approving waivers because of COVID-19..

Advice, keep talking to your recruiter to push the issue..

Kyle42

Thanks for responding and the tips, we actually just got a pre commission physical readiness exam scheduled this morning at Walter Reed, took quite a few months like you said but it’s nice we’re moving again!

Has anyone had to submit a waiver request for Orthopedic Retained Hardware specifically over the clavicle? I am just curious to know the likelihood of NAMI approving the waiver or if they are going to recommend getting the hardware removed and apply again.

I am active duty applying for SNA/SNFO. The fracture happened during my active time and I have since fully recovered. The hardware does not cause any discomfort in any situation and I have full range of motion.

Any insight helps. Thanks!

Brady12Sam15

I have a similar question as Kyle regarding the hip impingement stuff. I have a CAM impingement and labral tear (not a serious complication at all) that should be fixed surgically. However I’m already selected SNA and have a slot later this summer. What would happen if I go through with the surgery? Are there any waivers I need to file? Or would I be DQ’ed, and the best action would be to grit my teeth and forego the surgery for a few years?

Metromedic

Contributor
I have a similar question as Kyle regarding the hip impingement stuff. I have a CAM impingement and labral tear (not a serious complication at all) that should be fixed surgically. However I’m already selected SNA and have a slot later this summer. What would happen if I go through with the surgery? Are there any waivers I need to file? Or would I be DQ’ed, and the best action would be to grit my teeth and forego the surgery for a few years?
It’s all up to Navy medical. You can submit to MEPS through your recruiter to see if it is a DQ or not. You will need a waiver regardless if do the surgery or not as you had a “change in condition” since your last MEPS appointment.

Kyle42

I’m also going up for for SNA/NFO if I get a waiver. I should know by the end of next month. But yeah like you I’m absolutely fine, best shape of my life (I’ve already had the procedure done). I’ll let you know how it goes if you don’t figure anything else out by then. This is listed listed on COMNAVRECRUIT 1131.2G “conditions generally considered waiverable” “
(3) History of orthopedic surgery or injury (ORIF,
retained hardware, ACL or arthroscopic, Bankhart repair,
bunionectomy).” and is what I’m trying to exercise in my favor when it comes time to send my docs up to N3M.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

you will have to disclose as you have had to have been to a doctor to find out what you did, once they find out you have a tear you will have to get it fixed, in most cases N3M will not look at your documents until 6 months post surgery and have documents clearing you saying your are fully healed.

It would be good to let your recruiter know ASAP and get him all the documents you have so far.

exNavyOffRec

It’s all up to Navy medical. You can submit to MEPS through your recruiter to see if it is a DQ or not. You will need a waiver regardless if do the surgery or not as you had a “change in condition” since your last MEPS appointment.
once MEPS completes the physical and the documents are handed off to the recruiter MEPS wouldn't do anything else, the only thing MEPS does is the exam on behalf of the USN, N3M doesn't even care if the MEPS doc says your are PQ or NPQ as N3M will make their own call.