• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Usn, Usmc, Usnr?

HOUSTONAG03

First post in these forums, so I'll probably rehash some of what has been covered elsewhere. I'm 25 and just returned from Europe where I was working on a graduate degree. In one of those rare situations where you can sit down and say, "Ok what do I want to do with the next few years of my life?" Basically, I'm leaning heavily towards a military flight contract assuming I qualify. I've talked to both USN and USMC recruiters about this, but I figured that there might be more to know than what they put out. I'm just starting the getting in shape process again so I have a small window to decide on one or the other. Navy boys say that a contract would be flight ONLY and that busting out of training would render me out of the Navy. USMC reassigns flight school busts to ground warfare supposedly. That's about all I've gotten out of either as far as binding obligations. My question is, which one offers the best chance to get into a cockpit as a pilot? Like everyone I have my preferences, but at this stage I know that not coming out of the academy or ROTC slots get limited. I'll put the wish list below anyway, but really I just want to fly. It's come down to that or coaching (love both, hard choice), but I feel that flying is where I'm meant to be at this stage in my life. I have had no contact with the USNR yet, is that a viable option for guys coming straight from civilian life via OCS? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

USN wish list:
Fighters
P-3s
S-3s
Anything else

USMC:
Fighters
All others

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Houston,

If you go to OCS, you won't get commissioned USNR...

As far as which service offers the best chance at getting you into a cockpit... that depends on you. The Marines and Navy have their own standards and criteria for screening applicants. Best bet is to take a look at the service's websites and talk to pilots from both so as to see which service fits you better.

The Navy's not letting people select S-3's. They are being phased out.
Anyways, welcome to the board and good luck.

Cheers, Bubba

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I'd talk to both recruiters. You might have a better chance with the Navy, because they have OCS classes start every 2-3 weeks, whereas the Marines are smaller, and literally have 3 OCC classes a year.

Bevo16

pilot
I'll try to help even though you went to the farm school. Just don't fill out your application in crayon, that may have got you into college but it will not work here. :D

Instead of trying to decide between Navy and Marine Corps air, just pick between the Navy and Marine Corps. Look at each service and decide which one offers what you want to experience. Also, talk a look at the career paths beyond just the first flying tour.

The first year for a future Navy pilot vs. a USMC pilot will be much different. If you go the Marine route, you will start out going to The Basic School, and will spend a lot of time doing stuff that has pretty much nothing to do with flying. It's a great way to build quality Marine Officers, but if you want to get in the cockpit right away, it may be something you want to consider.

If you go Navy, you will go right into flight school as soon as you finish OCS. Flight school for Navy and Marine pilots is all the same. Not just the same type of program, the same squadrons, bases, everything. I am Navy, and my on-wing in Primary was a Marine Corps Captain. No sweat. If you go Marine Corps, your first squadron with nothing but Marines will be after you get wings.

The first fleet tour is pretty similar for Navy and Marine pilots. USMC Hornet pilots have a really good chance of deploying on aircraft carriers as just another squadron in the air wing. Navy helo pilots deploy on troop carriers and fly logistic and SAR support with the Marine Air/Ground Task Force that was talked about earlier.

After your fleet tour, things really start to change. I know that Marines can become instructors at flight school, but I really don't know what their other options can be. Navy pilots can be instructors, evaluators at Top Gun or Weapons School (for helo bubbas). Navy types can also serve on an admiral's staff, go to their air wing as a support officer (a non flying job) or go be an NROTC instructor.

Both the Navy and Marines have lots of great options for their pilots. No doubt, each one will have something that you will want to do. Find out the lifestyle that suits you. Blue or green, you can't really go wrong. Both kill the enemy by the thousand so it's all good.

RootinTootin

I had to think hard about the choice between the Navy and marines too. Eventually I chose the Navy because I felt my personality fit more with Navy. Its entirely a decision that requires some research on your part. If you are unfamiliar with the different branches read, read, and read some more. When researching the Navy I found there to be tons of oppurtunities down the road for furthering my education; that was big to me. The NRD in Houston is great. Lt. Ashford, Mr. James, and Mr. G are incredible people and will bend over backward to help you get the designator you want. Talk to them they can answer just about any question you have. Senior Chief Hoffman in the BCS office is also a good man to talk to. I just finished the process so it is all pretty fresh in my memory, feel free to PM with any questions. Its also good to see a fellow Ag on the AW. Gig em.

HOUSTONAG03

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I've actually put a call into the Navy office in College Station earlier this week but was told that the 2 officer recruiters were out of town until Monday. The NCO I spoke with was actually the one who recommended I hit up airwarriors for information about the various programs. Good to hear that the Navy has OCS classes going so often. I flat out won't be physically ready for the Marines' next board at the end of this month and was gunning for July with them. If the Navy has something earlier and I get to where I need to be I just might go Nav.

All I have to say in regards to that other school in Austin (good school, the other half of the family went there): 46-43, thanks for the NCAA tourney boost.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
HOUSTONAG03 said:
The NCO I spoke with was actually the one who recommended I hit up airwarriors for information about the various programs.
Interesting/neat.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
God damn, I'm going to have lock the thread. You guys and you're Texas homo-love-in musings are too fast for me to move it all...