• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN to challenge S. China Sea Islands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Freedom of Navigation. One of our core raisons d'être. I like to throw a "shipmate" in there for good measure when I'm talking to foreigners on marine 16. That will send them to the dictionary for at least 3-4 minutes. For those with access, keep an eye on the Navy OPREP summary for some entertaining reports of foreign military interactions. :D

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
USS Lassen will challenge China's territorial claims around artificial islands in the South China Sea within the next 24 hours.

Will be interesting to see what the Chinese response will be.

They are not legally islands, part of the reason we are doing this.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Done! *Lassen drops mic*
freedom.jpg

A7Dave

pilot
USS Lassen will challenge China's territorial claims around artificial islands in the South China Sea within the next 24 hours.

Will be interesting to see what the Chinese response will be.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/26/us-southchinasea-usa-idUSKCN0SK2AC20151026

The F-ing press buys into the Chinese narrative when they report "disputed islands". They aren't islands. A few are, now, because they were created by the Chicoms. Are there territorial disputes? Yes. But the Chinese have no legal basis for their claims. Vietnam, Brunei, Philippines, et al? Yes.

If you want to read some good analysis of the region, check out The Diplomat:

http://thediplomat.com/2015/10/how-china-maintains-strategic-ambiguity-in-the-south-china-sea/

Good reading for every Naval Officer.

azguy

None
The F-ing press buys into the Chinese narrative when they report "disputed islands". They aren't islands.

The same goes for the press, and even some DOD spokesmen, who reported the LASSEN was conducting 'innocent passage." That implies that the U.S. recognizes the territorial sovereignty of these features.

jmcquate

Contributor
We've got VOA. Sauce for the goose...
Ya, I know, but it isn't broadcasting from a Beijing suburb. Radio Moscow back in the day had to broadcast out of Cuba. Between this and the RT ads around Penn Quarter just seems a little odd.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Small price to pay for living in our free society. With the ubiquity of the internets, I'm surprised the Chinese even bother with broadcast media.

Status
Not open for further replies.