• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN NFO to USCG NA via DCA? No, right?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, I was interviewing with a Coastie O-5 helo guy the other day for a civilian GS job. He asked me, as an aside, if I was an NFO because of my eyesight (I'm PQ'ed for pilot and still have 20/20 uncorrected...why I'm a FO is a long story). He then asked me if I'd looked into transferring into the Coast Guard via the DCA program, and that I should consider it.

Way I understood it, the whole purpose of DCA was so that the CG could pick up trained aviators without spending the money on training them. So, they wouldn't go for retreading an NFO, would they? Or would they?

If moving over to the CG as a pilot was a real possibility, I'd definitely pursue it. I get the feeling that it isn't, though, what the CDR in question said notwithstanding. The DCA website is quiet on the subject.

Any of my Coastie brethren weigh in on this?

m26

Contributor
From gocoastguard.com:

Fixed-wing applicants must possess evidence of being a military fixed-wing designated aviator with a minimum of 500 hours in a fixed-wing aircraft. Waivers are not authorized for minimum flight hours requirement.

I don't know if that's any help.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, I was interviewing with a Coastie O-5 helo guy the other day for a civilian GS job. He asked me, as an aside, if I was an NFO because of my eyesight (I'm PQ'ed for pilot and still have 20/20 uncorrected...why I'm a FO is a long story). He then asked me if I'd looked into transferring into the Coast Guard via the DCA program, and that I should consider it.

Way I understood it, the whole purpose of DCA was so that the CG could pick up trained aviators without spending the money on training them. So, they wouldn't go for retreading an NFO, would they? Or would they?

If moving over to the CG as a pilot was a real possibility, I'd definitely pursue it. I get the feeling that it isn't, though, what the CDR in question said notwithstanding. The DCA website is quiet on the subject.

Any of my Coastie brethren weigh in on this?

Missed your chance at the short, sweet life of the Coast Guard E-2C Hawkeyes (when they needed NFOs with your background)

E-2C_3501_US_Coast_Guard.jpg

Brunes

pilot
With no factual basis or documentation- I seriously doubt you'd get selected for a pilot slot for a DCA transition as an NFO. CG is already over-billet pilots so DCA transitions are VERY competitive for folks who have pilot skills.
Taking that transition- and then having to go thru flight school again...Highly doubt it. I can get you the CG Aviation detailers number if you'd like to have someone to ask directly.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Sir, if you can make this happen, that is just pure unadulterated awesomeness. I have nothing of substance to offer to this thread, but I hope the CG extends the invitation for you to pull on their yokes

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sir, if you can make this happen, that is just pure unadulterated awesomeness.

I knew a Tomcat guy who was a TPS grad in DC back in late 70s who got an invite to visit St Louis to fly the F-15B at the factory so naturally he went and did the deed. They offered him the front cockpit and after a detailed brief, they asked if he wanted to do a unrestricted max performance climb on takeoff at the controls figuring that as a TPS grad he'd like to really wring out the aircraft. So he did exactly that and had a great time. He didn't have the heart to tell them he was a RIO and since they never asked, he didn't volunteer that info.

Clux4

Banned
I knew a Tomcat guy who was a TPS grad in DC back in late 70s who got an invite to visit St Louis to fly the F-15B at the factory so naturally he went and did the deed. They offered him the front cockpit and after a detailed brief, they asked if he wanted to do a unrestricted max performance climb on takeoff at the controls figuring that as a TPS grad he'd like to really wring out the aircraft. So he did exactly that and had a great time. He didn't have the heart to tell them he was a RIO and since they never asked, he didn't volunteer that info.

How do you react when you hear this at the O Club? You only live life once, why not.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

This is amazing. Any fallout?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Wow, that is about the most amazing awesome thing I have ever heard :)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How do you react when you hear this at the O Club? You only live life once, why not.

It was in an office where we both worked as he told his tale. He actually put it in his trip report.

This is amazing. Any fallout?

He was pretty pleased with himself and got a nice plaque and certificate. He retired as a Captain many moons later

Wow, that is about the most amazing awesome thing I have ever heard :)

I'd almost forgotten about it, but can still see the grin on his face. He went from there to squadron command tour of the Black Lions.