• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN may add conformal fuel tanks to F/A-18E/F fleet

jmcquate

Contributor
I have never seen an F-15E without them, I think it is very rare they fly without them.

680px-F-15e.jpg
I think that they are a part of fuselage design and are not removable. FAST packs were developed for the F-15C but I don’t think that they were ever used.

Random Task

pilot
From an article that I can't seem to find right now...what the E/F/G conformal tanks increase in weight/drag is offset by the increase in lift from their positioning over the lex. Also the IRST that has been developed for the export model would be nice in addition to the extra muscle and fixing the pylon problem

jmcquate

Contributor
Of course, now that I think about it, the photo could be a FMS F-15D or something given the paint. No idea really.
I remember seeing photos of eary Es used for weapons tests at Tyndall painted in light grey.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
From an article that I can't seem to find right now...what the E/F/G conformal tanks increase in weight/drag is offset by the increase in lift from their positioning over the lex. Also the IRST that has been developed for the export model would be nice in addition to the extra muscle and fixing the pylon problem
eppsdedude, where you beeeen hiding, you haven't posted in a coon's age? Welcome back!;)
BzB

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Isn't that the Stars and Bars in low-vis in front of the intake?

I would need a photoshop with a circle over what you are talking about as I have had too much woodford to see such minutia. I would put money on the apparent era of the photo being late 1980's/early 1990's and either a developmental E or possibly a test D used for the same purpose.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
The paintjob is wrong, but you can make out a second canopy rail aft of the place the one on the chuck would be.....so I'm guessing E

F-15C's have two canopy rails. The F-15E conformal tanks are removable, but they seem to pretty much always be attached. They have a lot of hardpoints for bombs. On that note, I bet the F-15 in that picture isn't an E. It seems set up for missiles, not bombs. The tanks on the C seem to have only one row of racks for AMRAAM's. The E in the earlier picture has more racks on the conformal tanks meant for bombs. Here's a C with tanks. http://www.airliners.net/photo/0766781/M/