• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN USN/CNATRA Naval Aviation Summer Flight Academy for HS Students

robav8r

None
Contributor
“The primary goal of the CNAF Flight Academy is to expose diverse, young talent to Naval Aviation, and inspire them to join the profession,” says LT Olivia Barrau, E-2C Hawkeye Naval Flight Officer, CNAF Operations Officer for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, and CNAF Flight Academy Program Manager. “For these motivated students, flying a plane and completing this program can empower them to consider Naval Aviation as a viable career choice. While we hope all our Cadets join Naval Aviation, we proudly contribute to their dreams of becoming aviators in any capacity.”

So caucasians need not apply?

And don't get all wiggy on me, i'm genuinely curious - is this an effort to attract more minority candidates for Naval Aviation?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
On the AF side, "Rated Diversity" is a program of record and encompasses a number of GA pilot training initiatives at HS, college and even post collegiate level - outside of formal officer/pilot accession programs. But with goals of feeding these tracks. I think the annual spend on the AF side is approaching $80mm/year.

And its refresing to see AF and Navy throwing things against a wall and seeing what sticks. When i look at young military pilots and emerging FO's at regionals and majors, the common thread is these young people are predominately the product of two-parent, upper middle class and above households. I don't know how you ultimately crack the nut diversity wise, but you have to try. There is a virtuous pursuit to make military pilots reflect America.

As a principal in a GA pilot training scholarship program, I tried for months to identify candidates from marginal/urban schools and I could not get a return call from guidance counselors, science teachers, etc to identify a youngster from a "DEI" background who was remotely interested in aviation. We ended up awarding our two PPL schoalrship slots to - surprise - young white males from nice familiies, who prepared well and submitted amazing application packages and were just nice kids - from big familes with two hard working parents. Both are doing great - but it speaks to the societal challenges.

On a nice note - I am humbled at the support I have seen from retired Airline/Mil guys at opening ther wallets to help youngsters - in this case scholarship programs. The vibe of "pay it forward" is alive and well with you grumpy old fuckers and otherwise cheap bastards :). Its wonderful to see. A lot of you guys are big softies.

Last edited:

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Those lucky kids. I would have given anything at their age to attend something like this. As someone who grew up thinking a pilot job was out of reach (glad I was wrong), I think it’s a worthwhile effort.

Knowing how to support aspiring pilots can be a struggle in industry. You don’t have to be a CFI or uncommonly wealthy to help- there are lots of good efforts worth contributing to, and organizations like AOPA and EAA are doing their part. However, connection and mentorship can be a struggle for newcomers to aviation.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Knowing how to support aspiring pilots can be a struggle in industry. You don’t have to be a CFI or uncommonly wealthy to help- there are lots of good efforts worth contributing to, and organizations like AOPA and EAA are doing their part. However, connection and mentorship can be a struggle for newcomers to aviation.

As some know, I did a year on a medical leave teaching at a high shcool avation program, and to this day still substitute teach, involve them in the AAHF, and mentor. Most large cities have at least one avation magnet high school and some a coummity college avation program. They are always looking for guest speakers, donated articles like timed out parts and more formal mentors. It is as easy as Googling to get a vector.

Notanaviator

Contributor

Had the opportunity to bring one of this years grads out to NAS JRB New Orleans to visit VFC-204 - great experience for the kid, who's clearly very sharp and starting up at Duke and participating in their NROTC program. Best part was the young man's dad was an AO with VA-27 back in the day, and was rightfully proud of his son. Stopped at a static display A-7 on the way off base and got to show his son around 'his' jet. Pretty neat moment.