• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMMA

Chris94

CWO selected
I've started my application for the USMMA and I've searched on here for a while to get as much info on it as possible. I'm just wondering if it's a common thing for graduates from there to go into Naval Aviation? Also, just out of curiosity, at graduation, do you where your dress uniform for the active duty service you're going into, or the dress uniform for the Merchant Marines?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've started my application for the USMMA and I've searched on here for a while to get as much info on it as possible. I'm just wondering if it's a common thing for graduates from there to go into Naval Aviation? Also, just out of curiosity, at graduation, do you where your dress uniform for the active duty service you're going into, or the dress uniform for the Merchant Marines?
Chris94, go to the source... the USMMA website. Has all kinds of info available, FAQs, and a list of area contact points, with phone numbers for specific questions.:)
BzB

Chris94

CWO selected
Chris94, go to the source... the USMMA website. Has all kinds of info available, FAQs, and a list of area contact points, with phone numbers for specific questions.:)
BzB

definitely noted, I was just looking for some experiences, tips, etc. with the academy off of here

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
10 pilots and 4 NFOs were accessed from the different MMAs in FY13. Should have about that same number in FY14.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BzB
Ditto. And you will be able to get all those answers and more from your admissions liaison officer.

Renegade One

None
I've started my application for the USMMA...just out of curiosity, at graduation, do you where your dress uniform for the active duty service you're going into, or the dress uniform for the Merchant Marines?
'T'would seem that decision point is some years away, but it's never inappropriate to wear the uniform of "the one what brung you to the dance". But I dunno…guess it depends on which service you're being commissioned into at graduation.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
When I got commissioned at Mass Maritime, I was wearing USN Ensign boards vice the midshipman boards my classmates who didn't join the Navy wore.

But at Kings Point, everyone gets commissioned since that's the price of a free education.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Yes, a group of Kings Pointers gets selected for Naval Aviation every year.

The reason most people go to Kings Point is not to fly, but with guaranteed spots every year it is a little known access hatch into Naval Aviation. However, keep in mind you have to "play the game" and get through what is a very challenging program. That said, you get to spend a year at sea, which is more practical education than you can cram into the remaining 3 years in the classroom, you'll have more sea time than any of your friends at Canoe U- and on better ships. In return, you enjoy an 11 month academic year, no stipend, do-it-yourself everything, endless parades, horrible campus food, and beastly weather, all while taking credit loads that would send any "normal college" student fumbling for their Ritalin stash.

As for uniforms, it's a fair match to the Naval Academy with summer whites, winter blues, khakis, and those terrible winter working blues which make you depressed and irritable during the long, cold, New York winters (my solution? Go to sea!) On graduation day, >90% of your class will be wearing choker whites (Navy active and reserve commissions). A few will have a mix of Marine, Coast Guard, and even a couple of Army and USAF dress uniforms in the mainly Navy starch crowd. By default, you have to take a Navy Reserve commission as an ensign (Merchant Marine Reserve component) as payment for your education. It's actually a great deal for the guys who want to sail, but aren't into the military end of things.

Historically, Naval Aviation selects 10-20 in a class of roughly 200. In 2005 we graduated about 180, and 10 of us went Navy flight. That was the majority of applicants my class year. In fact, I only recall a couple of guys who didn't get it and both of them wound up going Marine Air- one is flying Hornets now. The rest of my buddies went into the Maritime industry. Most enjoy great lives and some are making salaries that make my head spin, but I still wouldn't trade places with any of them.

Bottom line: Kings Point is a great place to be from, and more than worth the experience. Even if Navy flight doesn't work out, you have a hell of a backup plan- everyone who applies themselves gets hired somewhere. I am damn glad to have gone there and gotten my degree and commission. If you ever have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

-Sevenhelmet
USMMA class of 2005