• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMMA to Marine Corps

Renegade One

None
I know it's possible but does it happen often? Whats the probability that I'd get stuck in the Merchant fleet?
Um..if you go to the US MERCHANT MARINE Academy…maybe pretty high? Think it through…choose wisely…rock at whatever you do and wherever you go.

That said, the US Merchant Fleet has much to recommend it. I've known many retired Navy officers (some aviators, some SWOs) who went that route later in life. Don't dismiss it out of hand.

The New Yorker

Um..if you go to the US MERCHANT MARINE Academy…maybe pretty high? Think it through…choose wisely…rock at whatever you do and wherever you go.

That said, the US Merchant Fleet has much to recommend it. I've known many retired Navy officers (some aviators, some SWOs) who went that route later in life. Don't dismiss it out of hand.
I also know people personally who have gone there and had good things to say about it. So cross commisioning out of there would be pretty difficult?

Ryan Hanna

pilot
I also know people personally who have gone there and had good things to say about it. So cross commisioning out of there would be pretty difficult?

I wouldn't really say that its a cross commission from the Merchant Marine Academy into the Marine Corps. Everyone is commissioned and has a service commitment either in the Reserves or Active Duty. When I was visiting there they said that you basically have the option of commissioning into any branch of the Military or going into the Maritime industy. Also, though its not for the Corps, they really emphasized to me that they have a "100%" success rate for getting slots as SNAs in the Navy. I believe they typically have more slots to flight school available than people who want them. I would certainly look into it, there is reason its called the "best kept secret" of all the Service Academies.

Renegade One

None
As to that…I have no idea. Many years ago, when I was considering a transfer to the Texas Maritime Academy, I was let to believe that all MMA grads would also receive as commission in the USNR. Have no idea as to the validity of that perception...then or now. Would make sense…but no idea.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did you miss what I wrote under my G?

KP '85

Aka USMMA 1985 graduate.