• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMMA (Kings Point, NY)

Bergers2short

None
I may 'double-up', which means take two classes of the same subject. Meaning Junior year I could take Alg. II and Trig, and then take Pre-Calc as a Senior.

Just another option to think about, if you can afford it, you could take a class during summer. If you do some research, I remember reading about a couple military schools offering summer programs with credit for high school courses. I'm sure it'd look great on that application and it would give you a good idea of the type of schedule you would have at an academy.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Just another option to think about, if you can afford it, you could take a class during summer. If you do some research, I remember reading about a couple military schools offering summer programs with credit for high school courses. I'm sure it'd look great on that application and it would give you a good idea of the type of schedule you would have at an academy.

Nice avatar. Already wanna be an aviator as a SWO BDCP eh? Also, Barney Stinson is the man.

altuc

Really? Ill google it, but is there specific Military schools you know that do this?

STOVLer

pilot
when i graduated from KP in 2006 we had to go to full OCS, i think a year later they modified it so its only the 6 week. softbodies.

altuc, when i was in school it seemed like getting a Marine flight spot was a little less competitive than getting a Navy one. i didn't have astounding grades and i got one. I can't remember if it was just a numbers thing that year with the amount of people competing or if its always like that. just something to consider.

hawkeyeHandler

Sergio Kontek
pilot
Lets not write off the State Maritime Academy's. Compete against even fewer people for flight slots, and if you get cold feet, no commitment until after commissioning.

R/
Joe
Cal Maritime 2009

But at least at KP you'll learn the proper use of apostrophies.. *Academies.. lol
Couldn't resist, Joe

Altuc, my GPA out of KP was about a 3.1 and I graduated cum laude, believe it or not. I wouldn't go so far as to say we were all dumb-asses, but the place is rather hard because of all the classes they compress in an acedemic year to make room for the sea year. It'll keep you busy. Joe is right though. The state maritime schools will not incur a commitment until after graduating, but you're paying out of pocket if I am not mistaken. Pick your poison... relatively inexpensive but requires selection and a commitment if you drop out (KP).. or pay a bunch but you're somewhat flexible in case you change your mind. I'll be honest.. i put all my eggs in one basket.. I was either going to make it or not.
I don't think there was too much competition for flight slots at KP.. everyone who wanted one got one, but that was 10 years ago. I don't know if the state schools candidates for flight come from a different pool of people than KP, so I can't say if KP and state guys are competing per se... hope that makes sense. If it doesn't, don't worry about it. Just don't suck and you'll be fine!

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Lets not write off the State Maritime Academy's. Compete against even fewer people for flight slots, and if you get cold feet, no commitment until after commissioning.

R/
Joe
Cal Maritime 2009

I graduated Mass Maritime and we don't have ROTC. I was a direct procurement from the Merchant Marine Reserve.
If someone is interested in recent numbers of grads getting into flight school, I'll have to make a call so PM me.
Can't speak to non-ROTC guys from Mainte, SUNY or KPS since they have ROTC on campus.
Don't know if can do Texas A&M ROTC at A&M Galveston.

altuc

Wow, thanks for the informative answers. V/STOLER, can you check for sure if it's still just 6 weeks?