• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMMA (Kings Point, NY)

altuc

Evening Everyone,

My name is Alex, Im 14, and a cadet in the US Navy Sea Cadet Corps. Ive always wanted to join the Navy, but as like any other teenager, my hopeful careers have changed according to the day of the week. ;) But anyway, I was looking into Aviation. It seemed really appealing. Some intriguing aspects being the close bond that Aviators share. I mean, it doesnt take a genius to see that. Im not to good in Math, and ive read on here that you dont need to major in Aeronautical Engineering to become an Aviator, which takes a load off my back. But I was looking into Helicopters, they seem like a better fit for me.

Basically what I would like to know is, can I get a direct commission to flight school upon graduation of the Merchant Marine Academy? I know they dont have an ROTC program, but as it is considered a Federal Service academy, and the Physical Fitness Reqs is the same as the USNA, I figured it acted in the same way.

Can anyone shed some light on this path to a commission?

V/r
Cadet Alex T.

altuc

Warface - Im sorry If I offended you in anyway, I didnt mean to add NFO as a side-note, I was just more focusing on my USMMA Commissioning question.

Flugelman

Contributor
An old shipmate's son and a kid I used to take out to NAS Dallas to watch airplanes graduated USMMA and is flying helos out in San Diego now. As far as I know your progression is similar to USNA graduates.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
To answer your question: yes. It is possible. Check out this notable USMMA grad sportin' a sweet mustache to go with his Wings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_E._Kelly

As far as the process, someone at their admissions office could probably give you a better idea. Since you're probably a high school freshman at the oldest, it'd be a solid idea to let your guidance counselor know a commission in the Navy is your ultimate goal, more specifically through an appointment to the Merchant Marine Academy.

They may have more resources available to guide them, or, if they were like mine, they might be completely clueless about the appointment process to NROTC/Federal Service Academies. Go into their office armed with at least a pamphlet or a number for their admissions department, and let them know what you want to do, and then they can do their job and find out more about how you should pursue it.

As far as math, I'm certain the USMMA is at least as stringent as NROTC was about math. You may want to work on that while you've still got time in high school. I'm not sure if everyone has to come out of Kings Point with a B.S. like they do at USNA, but even if that's not the case, you will more than likely still be expected to take 2 semesters of Calculus, as well as calculus based Physics. Having at least an idea about it before you get to college level classes can help tremendously.

Other than that, I can't help you. I'm not a USMMA grad, but I've met a few in the Navy so far. I went through NROTC, but digging around on the internets can be a pretty good place to start when you figure out what you want to do.

I am curious though, why the USMMA if becoming a Naval Aviator is your goal? There are more efficient ways to go about it than going to a school designed to crank out Mariners.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Just a quick question, have you ruled out the Naval Academy?

And for the record, let's give this kid some credit and help. He's done everything right - searched the forums, done some research about Naval Aviation/commissioning on his own and wrote in a coherent way.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
Evening Everyone,

My name is Alex, Im 14, and a cadet in the US Navy Sea Cadet Corps. Ive always wanted to join the Navy, but as like any other teenager, my hopeful careers have changed according to the day of the week. ;) But anyway, I was looking into Aviation. It seemed really appealing. Some intriguing aspects being the close bond that Aviators share. I mean, it doesnt take a genius to see that. Im not to good in Math, and ive read on here that you dont need to major in Aeronautical Engineering to become an Aviator, which takes a load off my back. But I was looking into Helicopters, they seem like a better fit for me.

Basically what I would like to know is, can I get a direct commission to flight school upon graduation of the Merchant Marine Academy? I know they dont have an ROTC program, but as it is considered a Federal Service academy, and the Physical Fitness Reqs is the same as the USNA, I figured it acted in the same way.

Can anyone shed some light on this path to a commission?

V/r
Cadet Alex T.

I commend you on looking at career paths at 14!! Ignore the people that automatically criticize you for random reasons - they're usually jaded because they didn't think ahead like you are right now!

Yes, you can go pilot from Kings Point. I was on two USNS ships, so I've talked with a few MSC guys. From what one told me....their class didn't even fill all the military slots - people didn't want them. That was a few years ago though.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

careerO-3

pilot
I'm a Kings Pointer that took an active duty commission for flight school. It is done every year, as well as guys wanting to go active duty in the other branches. Everybody that graduates is supposed to get a commission in the naval reserve, so the ROTC classes for the Navy are already built into your curriculum. If you decide you want to be a marine, however, you have to take special courses over the summer not offered at the academy. At least this is how I remember it when I was there.

I commend you on looking at career paths at 14!! Ignore the people that automatically criticize you for random reasons - they're usually jaded because they didn't think ahead like you are right now!

Yes, you can go pilot from Kings Point. I was on two USNS ships, so I've talked with a few MSC guys. From what one told me....their class didn't even fill all the military slots - people didn't want them. That was a few years ago though.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

What he's saying was true when I graduated in 2001. We had about 25 aviation billets and they only used about 19 the year I graduated. So there was virtually no competition within the school to get a slot, you just had to meet the minimums. That explains how I got where I am today. I heard that after september 11th, a lot more people were trying to go active duty. I'm not sure what it is like lately.

If you have any questions, fire away. If you go and visit the school you can talk to the Dept. of Naval Science guys and they can give you the most current info. They usually have a handful of LTs and a CDR OIC that would be happy to help you out.

altuc

schoolbubba - I'm graduating 8th grade this year, Im going up to the highschool next school year. The way my highschool works is that our guidance counselor stays with us as we go up the gradescale (9th -> 10th -> 11th -> 12th), so as a Freshman, the first 3 weeks or so, the Guidance counselor sits down individually with every single 9th grader about their goals, and how to achieve them. This summer, I will put together a folder of all my research, ideas and questions, and my goal in life. Because the highschool has an AFJROTC program (which Im going to be a part in as well), Im sure he knows something about admissions to ROTC//Federal Service Academies, and I can be thankful for that. ;) About the Math, I guess I do have 4 years to develop a good study-habit, and get those math test scores up. Yes, you need a B.S from the MMA to graduate, there are no B.A programs. To your last question, one of my shipmates in the Sea Cadet Corps' sister went to the Merchant Marine Academy and loved it. She loved the Sea Tour (which hey, even if I'd like to go to the Aviation side of things, tell me thats not an excellent life experience). She also loved the ability to choose what branch you want to go into when you graduate. I've always wanted to go Navy, but if something comes up, or god-knows-what, I'll always have that option. The next thing, is what 60flyer said; Their classes dont usually fill up their Military slots, which is a good thing, because less competition means more time for studying, and maintaining the 3.5 GPA I need. But no, the Naval Academy is not out of the question, im going to bring that up to my Counselor as well.

Thank you for all the very detailed and helpful responses, you guys have helped me in more ways then not. Im sure Ill have more questions in the future ;)

- Cadet Alex T.

warface

Banned
schoolbubba - I'm graduating 8th grade this year, Im going up to the highschool next school year. The way my highschool works is that our guidance counselor stays with us as we go up the gradescale (9th -> 10th -> 11th -> 12th), so as a Freshman, the first 3 weeks or so, the Guidance counselor sits down individually with every single 9th grader about their goals, and how to achieve them. This summer, I will put together a folder of all my research, ideas and questions, and my goal in life. Because the highschool has an AFJROTC program (which Im going to be a part in as well), Im sure he knows something about admissions to ROTC//Federal Service Academies, and I can be thankful for that. ;) About the Math, I guess I do have 4 years to develop a good study-habit, and get those math test scores up. Yes, you need a B.S from the MMA to graduate, there are no B.A programs. To your last question, one of my shipmates in the Sea Cadet Corps' sister went to the Merchant Marine Academy and loved it. She loved the Sea Tour (which hey, even if I'd like to go to the Aviation side of things, tell me thats not an excellent life experience). She also loved the ability to choose what branch you want to go into when you graduate. I've always wanted to go Navy, but if something comes up, or god-knows-what, I'll always have that option. The next thing, is what 60flyer said; Their classes dont usually fill up their Military slots, which is a good thing, because less competition means more time for studying, and maintaining the 3.5 GPA I need. But no, the Naval Academy is not out of the question, im going to bring that up to my Counselor as well.

Thank you for all the very detailed and helpful responses, you guys have helped me in more ways then not. Im sure Ill have more questions in the future ;)

- Cadet Alex T.

this could help
has stats for applicants and other information too

http://nyusn.blogspot.com/

EDIT: and I apologize for misreading your post

altuc

Warface - It's all good, I bookmarked it.
career03 - That really gets my hopes up, thank you. I have two questions; 1) What rank are you? 2) What do you fly currently?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Warface - It's all good, I bookmarked it.
career03 - That really gets my hopes up, thank you. I have two questions; 1) What rank are you? 2) What do you fly currently?

He's probably an O-3. And in Oklahoma I would guess it's either E-6's or T-6's. I'm sure he will answer himself, but I also have a question. If you go to the Marines after Kings Point, do you still go to OCS or is it like the Naval Academy?