• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC using Magpul PMAGS

navy09

None
^What he said. Buying stuff out of pocket is a slippery slope. If I were a ground pounder getting into firefights with some frequency I might be singing a different tune.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Got a free magpul mag at the modern Marine expo last fall. They are nice. The follower is rock solid, the cover concept is pretty freaking sweet, and the fact that you don't have to determine how many rounds are in your magazine by guessing at the weight is nice too.

If only they made them in 6.8...

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
^What he said. Buying stuff out of pocket is a slippery slope. If I were a ground pounder getting into firefights with some frequency I might be singing a different tune.

I think maybe the ground pounder thing does make a difference. There has been a tremendous amount of personal gear used on the ground in the sandbox. I don't think there has been too much thought given to it being a slippery slope. Every command is different but it seems to me the closer you get to the fire the less people care what is used vs what was issued. For the most part grunts on the ground only care about what works. Pistol and rifle mags, weapon slings, stocks and to a lesser degree (at least for the Marine Corps) sighting systems are good examples.

In Jimmy Carter's Marine Corps (pay attention gents hard times are coming again) we sometimes bought stuff with our own money just to keep our weapons up. We had a hell of a time keeping our M60's on line. Worn out parts were a constant problem. In Okinawa, new parts were hard as hell to come by thru normal channels. One day I found 6 brand new in the wrap M60 op rods at an Army-Navy Store out in Kinville. I bought them with my own money and didn't think anything about it.

We also bought ARVN rucksacks with our coin because what we were issued was shit. The ARVIN rucks were made in the US for the South Vietnamese but we had to buy them on the street. At the time we were still being issued the M1941 field pack. Yea 1941 means what you think it does and this was 1976.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
For the typical VBSS tasking, you look like an over the top gear queer with the standard kit as it is. I don't need to look like a fuckin MAGPUL billboard while I'm at it.

This makes me think that the VBSS teams out there don't really get into sticky situations very often. If it works, it works. Who gives a shit what you look like? I'd gladly look like a gear queer if that gear helped me kill the enemy and get home alive. It's going to be hard for the enemy to laugh when he's dead.

navy09

None
I don't think there has been too much thought given to it being a slippery slope.

If you're going to upgrade your mags ($75), you might as well upgrade your holster ($100), your boots ($150), your optics ($500), your stateroom mattress, etc, etc. Some guys do it- it's their money. It's just not a habit I want to get into.

BigRed389

None
This makes me think that the VBSS teams out there don't really get into sticky situations very often. If it works, it works. Who gives a shit what you look like? I'd gladly look like a gear queer if that gear helped me kill the enemy and get home alive. It's going to be hard for the enemy to laugh when he's dead.

This makes me think you didn't have a clue about the subject to begin with, and therefore shouldn't call people out with comments about being shot at. :)

Bevo16

pilot
So buying my own gear saves the government money in two ways: (1) they can buy cheaper gear for me, and (2) they're less likely to have to pay my SGLI.

SGLI is underwritten by a private insurance company. Uncle Sam is only on the hook for your $100K death gratuity payment (and funeral expenses). /casualtynerd

In the two years that I have been working in Casualty, we have not had a single (hostile) casualty report for a VBSS crew member. The guy that we did lose wishes that he had spent some of his own own money on a better life jacket.

The sailors who need the better gear are the SEALs (and they get whatever they want), and our FMF HM's. Outside of HM and SO, I can't think of a single rate that has been a combat casualty in over a year. We did have some medical corps folks get shot up, but that was not exactly "combat related".

I can say with 100% certainty that the helmet that the Marines works pretty damn well. I have had multiple PCR's over the past week were marines suffered a "gunshot wound to the head" and were treated for a "contusion and swelling around the eye". If you take an AK round to the grape, and only have a black eye and sore cheek bone, you are one lucky Mo-Fo (and you need a new helmet).

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
If you're going to upgrade your mags ($75), you might as well upgrade your holster ($100), your boots ($150), your optics ($500), your stateroom mattress, etc, etc. Some guys do it- it's their money. It's just not a habit I want to get into.

Mags yup. Holster maybe. Boots probably not. Optic? Nope, not if you have an ACOG in A'stan. Stateroom mattress? The people I'm talking about aren't sleeping in a stateroom or even on a mattress right now.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Plenty of guys already have PMAGs sitting around at home.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
This makes me think you didn't have a clue about the subject to begin with, and therefore shouldn't call people out with comments about being shot at. :)

You're right, to be fair I have never been shot at. But, I'm definitely one of those people that doesn't mind buying myself better gear if it keeps my ass alive.

navy09

None
You're right, to be fair I have never been shot at. But, I'm definitely one of those people that doesn't mind buying myself better gear if it keeps my ass alive.

Stay in your lane (wrt VBSS). I'm assuming your experience consists of TBS and Primary. Nothing against that, but you're not an authority on "being shot at" or MIO.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Stay in your lane (wrt VBSS). I'm assuming your experience consists of TBS and Primary. Nothing against that, but you're not an authority on "being shot at" or MIO.

cutting-back-on-salt-01-af.jpg