• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC using Magpul PMAGS

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
6a00d8341ceee153ef01310f34e69b970c-pi

Picture speaks for itself. Pic of Designated Marksman with PMAG (maglevel model) from Marjah.

Nice to see Marine Corps innovative enough to dump standard "approved" magazine for something that is clearly better.

http://kitup.military.com/2010/02/jarheads-and-pmags-a-match-made-in-marjah.html

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Yeah almost every picture I've seen on marines.mil of guys in the field has PMAGs. My Marine buddy said it's extremely common to buy a bunch when they deploy.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Are they just stronger, or do they improve feed or something (for the unwashed)?

BigRed389

None
Are they just stronger, or do they improve feed or something (for the unwashed)?

There are countless videos of crazy shit happening to them and they continue to function (shot by a 5.56 round, run over by a truck, etc). Supposedly they also improve feed.

I've also yet to see one a PMAG come apart during normal use(not that I really put them to the test)...have seen a USN issue GI mag self destruct.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
So this explains why they're so damn hard to find. At least they're going to the dues in the fight.

There are countless videos of crazy shit happening to them and they continue to function (shot by a 5.56 round, run over by a truck, etc). Supposedly they also improve feed.

I've also yet to see one a PMAG come apart during normal use(not that I really put them to the test)...have seen a USN issue GI mag self destruct.

Can you opt to use them on the boat for VBSS and such? Or only GI mags?

BigRed389

None
So this explains why they're so damn hard to find. At least they're going to the dues in the fight.

Depends, but unlikely. Pretty much everything in the VBSS kit is specified and issued to you, but it's not uncommon for guys to bring their own gloves. One of the older guys put an EOTech on his Mk18/M4 instead of the issue Aimpoints, and there's a story about a GMC who decided to bring his own sniper rifle to the HOA.

A lot of BO's don't even carry M4s anyway (not enough on the ship to always go around).

PS: http://dynamicarmament.com/items/ma...-green-no-window-magpulpmagodgreen-detail.htm
I remember they were damn near sold out at one point about a year back, but things seem to have evened out now.

navy09

None

I doubt anyone would care, but I'm not into spending my money at work. At the schoolhouse I burned 1k+ rds through the M4 using their worn .gov mags without an issue. Doesn't mean they don't break though. Doesn't mean magpulls don't ever fail either. That's why we carry a pistol.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor

Aside from being rugged as hell my kid liked them because of the dust cover. His primary weapon was an M2 but he was also issued an A4. He kept a few up in the turret, but most of his Pmags stayed in his go bag down in the HMMWV. They all got dusty as hell and the covers helped with that. His weren't issued. They were a Christmas present.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
I doubt anyone would care, but I'm not into spending my money at work. At the schoolhouse I burned 1k+ rds through the M4 using their worn .gov mags without an issue. Doesn't mean they don't break though. Doesn't mean magpulls don't ever fail either. That's why we carry a pistol.

Spoken like someone who has never been shot at.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I doubt anyone would care, but I'm not into spending my money at work.

If it comes down to protecting my pink ass, I'll gladly shell out some extra cash for better survival gear, weaponry, etc. Never forget that your shit is made by the lowest bidder.

ryan1234

If it comes down to protecting my pink ass, I'll gladly shell out some extra cash for better survival gear, weaponry, etc. Never forget that your shit is made by the lowest bidder.

Exactly... not to mention they're only like $15 online. Why not?

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
So buying my own gear saves the government money in two ways: (1) they can buy cheaper gear for me, and (2) they're less likely to have to pay my SGLI.

BigRed389

None
Exactly... not to mention they're only like $15 online. Why not?

Because as a matter of principle, the E-4s/5s actually carrying those weapons, shouldn't have to spend their money on gear.
Because ships don't have the ready ammo to spare to just set aside mags for an indvidual team member.
Because if I were that E-4/5 I'd rather spend that $60 on gloves that fit right so I don't fall off the ladder and get chomped on by the great white that's been following my RHIB over to the ship.

VBSS =/= SEALs or Marines.
For the typical VBSS tasking, you look like an over the top gear queer with the standard kit as it is. I don't need to look like a fuckin MAGPUL billboard while I'm at it.