• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC to USN

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhatFarmer35

Hello:

If I became a USMC pilot and flew for the USMC for 8 years and finished my commitment and flew say the F/A-18, would I be able to transfer over to the USN or Naval Reserve and fly F/A-18s? If so, would my rank and everything transfer over? I had the same question about being a Naval Flight Officer too.

Basicly what I'm asking is, if you were a USMC pilot (or NFO) and your commitment was over, could you transfer to the Navy and become a Navy pilot (or NFO), and if so, would your rank transfer over?

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
PhatFarmer35 said:
Hello:

If I became a USMC pilot and flew for the USMC for 8 years and finished my commitment and flew say the F/A-18, would I be able to transfer over to the USN or Naval Reserve and fly F/A-18s? If so, would my rank and everything transfer over? I had the same question about being a Naval Flight Officer too.

Basicly what I'm asking is, if you were a USMC pilot (or NFO) and your commitment was over, could you transfer to the Navy and become a Navy pilot (or NFO), and if so, would your rank transfer over?

Yes, and Yes. For example, about 1/3 of the reserve flight instructors in PCola are Active Duty Marines who switched to the Navy Reserves to stay on the Gulf Coast.

However, if you transfer to the Coast Guard, you will be demoted back to LtJg which could put you in the odd spot of being junior to some of your students.

PhatFarmer35

Thank you for replying.

If I was a USMC helicopter pilot and flew the AH-1, and crossed over into the Navy when my commitment was over, since the Navy doesn't have AH-1s, would I still be able to transfer over? And if so would I just start training to fly another helicopter?

Also, if I was a USMC helicopter pilot, when my commitment was over would I be able to become a Navy jet pilot? If so how and would I need to go threw another selection process?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
PhatFarmer35 said:
Thank you for replying.

If I was a USMC helicopter pilot and flew the AH-1, and crossed over into the Navy when my commitment was over, since the Navy doesn't have AH-1s, would I still be able to transfer over? And if so would I just start training to fly another helicopter?

Also, if I was a USMC helicopter pilot, when my commitment was over would I be able to become a Navy jet pilot? If so how and would I need to go threw another selection process?

For the situation you described, you could apply, and odds are the Navy would say no. Most community switches similar to what you described (finish initial commitment, then go to other service/airframe) are guys getting out, then transferring to the Naval Reserve for transport slots (C-9s, whatever that C-9 replacement is, C-20s, C -130s).

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
PhatFarmer35 said:
Thank you for replying.

Lots of questions here so here goes:
1. If you are a Marine Cobra pilot the thought of transfering to another helicopter and starting over without any credibility wont be that appealing.
2. Good chance the Navy wont take the transfer at the level of experience you will be they need dept heads who know how that TMS squadron runs.
3. Chances for Navy jets is almost non existant, Marine Jets are a possibility or you could go from Cobras to Air National guard fighters/attack particularly A-10s, quite a few guys do that.
4. By the time your commitment is up you are 30 or 31 getting old to start another services training from scratch

PhatFarmer35

Thank you for the replies.

If I was a cobra pilot and wanted to fly jets in the ANG would the application and selection process be the same as if I was a civilian applying for a pilot slot at a specfic ANG unit? Also, would I need to go threw AF UPT or just start with jet training, and then training for the specfic aircraft?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Go to www.baseops.net forums for ANG transfer stuff.

just make sure to spell it "through", not 'threw'- :)

From what I hear, they make all ANG applicants go through the same process, but your app would be considered with all your prior training.

You do not go through a complete UPT. Just whatever they need to get you up to speed for the platform you would fly for them.

46Driver

When you switch from active duty to the reserves, its a whole new ball game. Shop around until you find what you want. I've had Marine Cobra buds switch to Navy C-130s and are in the process of switching to ANG F-16's, I've had some Marine 46 buds switch to Cobras as well as C-5's in the reserves.

PhatFarmer35

Thanks for the replies.

How difficult is it to go from a Marine Cobra pilot to a Navy jet or helo pilot? With the ANG you would apply to a specfic unit right? Is it the same with the USAFR and the USNR? And would a helo pilot applying to a be a jet pilot have a better chance of getting selected as opposed to someone just out of college with little flight time? Or would that helo time look bad for someone applying to fly jets?

If I was a Marine Cobra pilot and was selected to become an F-16 pilot at an ANG unit, what type of training would I need to go threw to go from AH-1 pilot to F-16 pilot?

Also, if you went into the USMC as a CH-47 pilot, would you need to fly that during your entire 6 year contract, or would you be able to transfer to another helicopter during that 6 year time period?

46Driver

1) Its all timing - like everything else.
2) Yes
3) Don't know
4) Yes
5) Some Air Force units think that, but usually its on a unit by unit basis in
the reserves / guard.
6) I'm not sure but Air Force Primary (I doubt it) but everything else.
7) We have no CH-47's, only CH-46's. More than likely, the same aircraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.