• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC Tailhook drops (Serious Answer?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarDust

Hi there,

Does anyone know if there are usually tailhook drops for USMC aviators at the end of Primary. With the Navy / Air Force, there is at least a chance to work hard and attain a jet because they always have drops for them. Does anyone know how drops for the USMC work and how frequent they are? I was watching this video:
and all the Marines seemed to get ospreys and helos.

Thanks for your help.

StarDust

What the hell is a drop? Also, Marines don't select "tailhook".

Over in the Air Force we referred to them as drops. In UPT, USAF guys either go t-38 or t-1 and the slots are called drops.

I didn't know they didn't select tailhook, I meant jets then.

Sorry about the confusion.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Yea this is a repost. Last time all I got was a fake phone number....

How do you think that guys like me, TreeTopFlyer, Jarhead, and a crap ton of others wound up flying jets for the Marine Corps? Correspondence school?

To bluntly answer your question: yes, Marines get jets. Generally every week at least one guy gets them. Sometimes more, sometimes none. It varies.

Now, you have about 10,000 steps between where you are and the point that any of that will matter. Concentrate on the task at hand.

StarDust

How do you think that guys like me, TreeTopFlyer, Jarhead, and a crap ton of others wound up flying jets for the Marine Corps? Correspondence school?

To bluntly answer your question: yes, Marines get jets. Generally every week at least one guy gets them. Sometimes more, sometimes none. It varies.

Now, you have about 10,000 steps between where you are and the point that any of that will matter. Concentrate on the task at hand.

Alright, well I just wanted to know the chances of getting them, because in the video none got them. Just wondering how often that happened. I am going to be leaving AFROTC and going to the PLC program cause I like the idea of being deployed on a ship and all. So I just wanted to make sure and all.

StarDust

I'm not going to ban you. Eyes and ears open. Mouth shut until the search function has been exhausted. Then come back with questions. Ok?

Btw...how much did that phone call end up costing you?

Haha you guys got me good. I was so excited to call them too.

I did try searching for this. I didn't realize the selection process worked differently. In the AF, everyone choose from a list depending on ranking whether they go t38 or t1, but I didn't realize that in Naval Training selection times vary.

Thanks for your help. This is really all I wanted to hear. So I'll take your advice now and concentrate on getting into PLC and getting through it this summer! Happy New Year!

81montedriver

pilot
Alright, well I just wanted to know the chances of getting them, because in the video none got them. Just wondering how often that happened. I am going to be leaving AFROTC and going to the PLC program cause I like the idea of being deployed on a ship and all. So I just wanted to make sure and all.

You don't have to select jets to deploy on a ship brother. Everything except for Herks can deploy to a ship. If you are looking for the big deck experience, then our single seat Hornets get attached to a Navy carrier air wing from time to time. Everything else goes to LHD's or LPD's. If you want better odds for big decks, go Navy.

For now though, what everyone else said is right. Get used to hearing about "the closest alligator to the boat." Your focus should be on PT and getting that GPA up as you wrote in one of your other threads.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
If you want to deploy on ships, brother have I got a deal for you. It's called SWO. You'll be a badass, can do VBSS, AND get to sleep on Sundays. Boom.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Also, from talking to some family friends who went through USAF UPT in recent years, they also tend to have very few T-38 slots. Some classes (although this is rare) had none, but that might just be rumored as it wasn't the case for anyone I knew personally. The other thing to consider is that the navy has nothing like the ENJPT (spelling?) program, which sucks up some T-38 drops. I do get the impression that there is less variability in the Air Force when it comes to how each UPT class is divided up. Also, drones are a separate designator (or whatever the AF calls that) and so you don't need to worry about that if you get UPT.

The "what are my chances?" questions are less frowned upon on baseops.net (USAF forum), go over there and get a feel for what's going on the AF right now before you do something drastic like drop out of ROTC. Also realize that as a Marine officer there are certain tours that you are expected to do that don't happen in the AF, so probe around the Marine Corps related subforums on here to learn about that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.