• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC shooting badges to USN shooting ribbons

gaj29

Hi,
I'm a former enlisted Marine that was just selected for a Navy reserve commission. I know that all my ribbons/medals from the Marine Corps transfer but how do my Marine Corps shooting badges transfer? Do I simply wear the Navy equivalent of my USMC shooting badges? I was an expert rifle and expert pistol in the Marines--does that mean I can simply wear the Navy expert rifle and pistol shooting ribbons? Is there a specific policy on this or any paperwork I need to do?

Thanks

gaj29

Thanks Matthew. That provided some clarification. Got another question:

Pursuant to OPNAVINST 3591.1, current Sailors who qualify on a small arms qualification course with any other branch of the Armed Forces may wear the appropriate Navy ribbon/medal corresponding to that service qualification designation and the Navy marksmanship ribbons never expire or require requalification.

In the Marines, we had to qualify every year. Over two separate years, I qualified as an expert on the rifle 1 times, sharpshooter on the rifle 1 time, expert on the pistol 1 time, and sharpshooter on the pistol 1 time. My DD214 only shows my last qualification badges that I earned, which was rifle sharpshooter and pistol sharpshooter, whereas my previous years' qualification was expert for both. Since I did previously qualify as an expert for both, it was just not my most recent qual for the Marines, do I still rate the Navy expert badge? I have Marine FITREPs showing I qual'ed expert for both, but because it was not the most recent my DD214 reflects sharpshooter. Thanks.

When I went to the Air Force, they didn't take any of my Marine shooting badges. But back to the DON I go!

Last edited:

azguy

None
FWIW, for pure Navy guys, if we shoot Expert (rifle or pistol) one time, we have earned the Expert (rifle or pistol) Medal forever.

gaj29

FWIW, for pure Navy guys, if we shoot Expert (rifle or pistol) one time, we have earned the Expert (rifle or pistol) Medal forever.
This is where I get confused. Does it work that way for prior service marksmanship awards that transfer? For example, I previously shot expert and have Marine FITREPs proving this, but my most recent qual before I left the Marines that is on my DD214 is sharpshooter. Is my Marine expert qual good for life when transferred to the Navy (so long as I can show proof of this on previous FITREPs beyond the DD214 where it is not reflected)?

azguy

None
In terms of the letter of the law, you need to call PERS. By the spirit of the law, you have definitely earned the right to wear the Navy Expert medal.

In reality, you're not in the Marines anymore; no one is going to have much heartache over whether you wear an "E" or an "S" on your ribbon.

gaj29

In terms of the letter of the law, you need to call PERS. By the spirit of the law, you have definitely earned the right to wear the Navy Expert medal.

In reality, you're not in the Marines anymore; no one is going to have much heartache over whether you wear an "E" or an "S" on your ribbon.
Would that be the 866-U-ASK-NPC phone number? (I'm clearly new to this!)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Enough with the uniform geek stuff. Congrats on the commission!! Glad you are still serving.

AQ-AT-NAVCIV

Citizen Sailor, Gentleman Farmer
Interesting question. I know when we qualified for M1911 for base security, us Sailors were given expert, sharp shooter and such, but I do not believe it affected the marines in our group at all. They still qualified with their MALS or Squadron.

My page 4 was not complete when I left the Navy as I left right after deployment and a few of the campaign and other stuff the whole command gets was not sorted out. So I think I might need to contact my old command and get it sorted. For example the Kosovo medal was created after I left service, so its not in my page 4.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

What he said. The Navy doesn't really get heartburn over ribbons, let alone shooting ribbons. We do get persnickety over insignia/badges...dudes wearing their Air Force Space Cadet wings or whatever.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I have no idea what the Navy policy is, but if you don't rate expert badges in the Marine Corps I don't see why you would rate the ribbons in the Navy.