• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC RW - Strike Transition / Conversion

xmid

pilot
Contributor
You can repeat off the students MFD's and switch them to night mode, which makes them go black. The student can just turn their brightness up (if they realize what happened), but it was good for giving them an oh shit moment. The BFI is actually extremely good in the T-6. Pretty much the only thing the PFD has that the BFI doesn't is a CDI. You could fly a PAR off of it in a pinch.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Quantity has a quality all its own, including quantity of flight time. Ass time in the cockpit doing pilot stuff.

Wonder if you couldn't expand the T6 time with much more solo ops, independent ops, X-countries. Bomb dropping. Form acro. Can it do BFM-lite? I never flew it, so completely spit-balling.
You also run into the issue of who's going to teach all that stuff. Not many VFA guys instructing in the T-6.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
We tried doing some of this. Shifting some intermediate flights to the T-6 and changing our approach speeds to mimic the T-45. Advanced eliminated some BI/RI events and their students struggled.

They played around with making a T-34 "Printermediate" syllabus as I was leaving, as well. I can't remember if it actually went anywhere or if it was just a working idea that was shelved, but it involved some RI stuff but at faster speeds and i think one or two other things I can't remember.

The BFI is actually extremely good in the T-6. Pretty much the only thing the PFD has that the BFI doesn't is a CDI.

My first "fleet" Part 135 checkride (after new hire) it was briefed that we'd go up and do a little partial panel. I was kind of nervous, as our backup AI is smaller than the -60s, about as far away, and barely lit (worse than the -60). Once we were flying and got to that part, he just reached over and turned off one of my PFDs, which then makes the other PFD revert to showing a tape like compass. Basically nothing really changes and it's not a big deal. Me: "Oh, that's what you meant." Check item complete.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
My first "fleet" Part 135 checkride (after new hire) it was briefed that we'd go up and do a little partial panel. I was kind of nervous, as our backup AI is smaller than the -60s, about as far away, and barely lit (worse than the -60). Once we were flying and got to that part, he just reached over and turned off one of my PFDs, which then makes the other PFD revert to showing a tape like compass. Basically nothing really changes and it's not a big deal. Me: "Oh, that's what you meant." Check item complete.

hah.....that is what they did on the A320 sim when I was doing my ATP practical stuff. "uhhh ok, I guess this is partial". I also remember 18 years before that, doing a pre-PPL checkride stage check in a Cessna where all instruments were covered, and I was told to beat up the pattern by reference of engine sound and how far above or below the top of the engine cowling was from the actual horizon. No 6 pack, no 4 pack, no 2 pack, no 1 pack.......just look outside and land, both normal and short field. Never know what you can do until you are asked to do it I guess. Guess that is "no panel" :)

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I was an E2 guy but I taught OCF, which is pretty much BFM when you are by yourself.

Isn’t it?
qVZ3eIy.gif

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
For what it's worth, when I did flight school the first time around at VT-10 we did both TACFORM and section lows in the T-6 with mostly Maritime/Helo IPs as part of the UMFO syllabus for Tailhook guys.

Last edited: