• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC PLC- GPA Waiver?

StarDust

Hi there, my GPA has been very good for the last 3 semesters. However, over the last 5 semesters (including summers), my cumulative GPA is a 1.97. I have a very good reason for why it is so low. However, the full details are a bit personal. But either way, I barely missed the 2.0 requirement. Is it possible I could still get selected for PLC this summer? Since I am a sophomore in college and there is a freeze on PLC - Juniors, this would be my only option. I can get my GPA to a 2.36 after having another good performance this semester. But is there any way I can still get selected for PLC?

Would taking the ASTB and scoring well on it have any effect for my application into PLC-Ground? I do plan to supplement for Air, but I have to get my vision fixed before I do that. Right now there is a freeze on PLC-Juniors so it would be better for me to go into ground and complete PLC this summer. On the other hand, if I end up unable to supplement into Air, then I would be happy to serve as a ground officer. I do like the linguist and combat engineer positions (we'll find out in basic).

Here are my other scores
ACT: 29
-English: 32
-Math: 32
-Reading: 22
-Science: 29

Thank you for your help.

StarDust

1 more thing, would it be beneficial to take the ASVAB? I have done a practice of it at the recruiters office and I can get in the high 90's range. Would this help with the PLC application? Thanks.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Have you talked to your OSO? He is the one who is going to be able to best guide you on that. I'd say that it is pretty competitive right now, so waivers for anything might be more difficult than usual - depending on how PLC works for you, the other option might be to get your grades up, graduate with a higher GPA, and then go to OCC.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The OSO will give you specifics. I don't think anyone's going to care about the reason you had a low GPA. It's not as if you went from 3.8 to 3.0. 1.96 is in academic probation range at many institutions. Bring it up and you'll have a much better chance.

StarDust

The OSO will give you specifics. I don't think anyone's going to care about the reason you had a low GPA. It's not as if you went from 3.8 to 3.0. 1.96 is in academic probation range at many institutions. Bring it up and you'll have a much better chance.

If I continue my current performance, I will have a 3.3 by the time I graduate. Next semester I can get it to a 2.36. But the PLC Board is meeting up in March or April sometime, before my grades come in for next semester. Would they wait and put me on hold until my grades come in? Thank you for your help.

exNavyOffRec

If I continue my current performance, I will have a 3.3 by the time I graduate. Next semester I can get it to a 2.36. But the PLC Board is meeting up in March or April sometime, before my grades come in for next semester. Would they wait and put me on hold until my grades come in? Thank you for your help.

You really need to talk to an OSO, he will be up to speed on all the current stats, I will say from doing college career fairs where I would be next to the USMC (they put all military together in a dark corner), your current grades are such you would be directed to the Army recruiters

StarDust

You really need to talk to an OSO, he will be up to speed on all the current stats, I will say from doing college career fairs where I would be next to the USMC (they put all military together in a dark corner), your current grades are such you would be directed to the Army recruiters

I had one semester where I did really bad, that is bringing my cumulative down. I have a reason, like I said. Do you think taking the ASTB and maybe even the ASVAB and scoring well on them would help my chances? I have no speeding tickets / any trouble of that sort. I also have good leadership experience (what someone from the OSO office told me). The OSO was busy at the moment and I was told he would get back with me. But he never did. I am going to call again and find out. Thank you for your reply and help.

exNavyOffRec

I had one semester where I did really bad, that is bringing my cumulative down. I have a reason, like I said. Do you think taking the ASTB and maybe even the ASVAB and scoring well on them would help my chances? I have no speeding tickets / any trouble of that sort. I also have good leadership experience (what someone from the OSO office told me). The OSO was busy at the moment and I was told he would get back with me. But he never did. I am going to call again and find out. Thank you for your reply and help.

The way the USN and the USMC do things is a bit different, there are some similarities though. I do not think the ASVAB comes into play for USMC air, if it does all the years chatting with the OSO at career fairs it never came up.

I do know that getting a 300 or as close to it on the PFT says quite a bit, but so does GPA, no matter what the reason the GPA is the GPA, for the USN the hard minimum is 2.5 but now it is rare to see anyone selected under 3.0, even rarer under 2.8

The fact the OSO hasn't called you back may be the biggest indicator, if he is getting calls from people that want to apply with GPA's in the 3's he would call them back first, the last career fair I did where I talked to OSO most of his applicants were 3.4 and higher, one that I know of wasn't selected, he had 3.7 and 7 or 8 on the ASTB, he was picked up SNA for USN though.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I had one semester where I did really bad, that is bringing my cumulative down. I have a reason, like I said.

No offense, but everyone here knows the reason your GPA sucks: you got bad grades. Other than that it doesn't matter what your reason is, even if you legitimately have a hard luck story. I think you will have a hard time getting selected. When I first walked into my OSO's office I was coming off a semester with a sub 2.0 GPA, and was told I could not go to OCS until having a non-failing semester.

StarDust

The way the USN and the USMC do things is a bit different, there are some similarities though. I do not think the ASVAB comes into play for USMC air, if it does all the years chatting with the OSO at career fairs it never came up.

I do know that getting a 300 or as close to it on the PFT says quite a bit, but so does GPA, no matter what the reason the GPA is the GPA, for the USN the hard minimum is 2.5 but now it is rare to see anyone selected under 3.0, even rarer under 2.8

The fact the OSO hasn't called you back may be the biggest indicator, if he is getting calls from people that want to apply with GPA's in the 3's he would call them back first, the last career fair I did where I talked to OSO most of his applicants were 3.4 and higher, one that I know of wasn't selected, he had 3.7 and 7 or 8 on the ASTB, he was picked up SNA for USN though.

I'm trying to get into PLC-Ground. I would go for linguist if I was not able to transition into air. You said ASVAB does not matter for PLC-Air, what about for Ground? 1 thing I have going for me in Ground is that I speak 2 languages on the critical language list. Also, about the guy with the 3.7 and a good ASTB, why wasn't he selected? Do you remember what his major was also and if major taken into consideration when we apply?

Also about my reason for getting bad grades, I still want to keep the details personal. But its not as simple as I just got bad grades. I appealed for my scholarship and it was considered an extenuating circumstance, and it was. It's not like I went around partying that first semester of college and goofing up my GPA. I study very hard and always have, just wanted to clarify, so that others don't think I am a waste of time too.

Thanks again for your help.

exNavyOffRec

I don't know about the difference between ground and air, the OSO would know.

He had an electrical engineering degree from a tier 1 school, the OSO said he had a 300 PFT, the OSO was amazed he wasn't selected but the OSO said the competition is fierce, the OSO thought enough of him to call me and have me talk to him.

It may be a good reason that resulted in your GPA dropping, each board member will view it differently, but they have to get to the point of reading your statement, if the GPA is too low you may not get to that point.

You may be one of those people that will have to spend your entire college career getting your GPA to a decent point where you can be competitive, if you came into my office I would say you need to come back when your GPA is 3 or better.

StarDust

I don't know about the difference between ground and air, the OSO would know.

He had an electrical engineering degree from a tier 1 school, the OSO said he had a 300 PFT, the OSO was amazed he wasn't selected but the OSO said the competition is fierce, the OSO thought enough of him to call me and have me talk to him.

It may be a good reason that resulted in your GPA dropping, each board member will view it differently, but they have to get to the point of reading your statement, if the GPA is too low you may not get to that point.

You may be one of those people that will have to spend your entire college career getting your GPA to a decent point where you can be competitive, if you came into my office I would say you need to come back when your GPA is 3 or better.

I see. Can you also tell me what a Tier 1 school is? I'm also doing Computer Engineering, which is very close to Electrical.

exNavyOffRec

I see. Can you also tell me what a Tier 1 school is? I'm also doing Computer Engineering, which is very close to Electrical.

Everyone ranks schools, the cutoffs between tiers get fuzzy sometimes but for ease of example, MIT would be Tier 1 and University of Phoenix would be a Tier 5

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Would Joe Schmoe from across the country recognize your school as a really good one? Yes- Tier 1. No- Not tier 1.

StarDust

Everyone ranks schools, the cutoffs between tiers get fuzzy sometimes but for ease of example, MIT would be Tier 1 and University of Phoenix would be a Tier 5

I see. I only called the OSO once, but he did drive down to our school to come talk with everyone. There recruit quite a bit of PLC candidates from my school. It is apparently a Tier 1 (According to Us News / World Report) or whatnot, if that matters. Do you mind if I message you via email or a PM using AirWarriors?