• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC PLC Aviator Applicant

calbear627

Hey guys,

I just stumbled upon this site recently and I figured that there would be no better place to ask.

As of right now, I'm a junior at the University of California-Berkeley. I'm studying Economics/Environmental Econ and am on track to graduate in the Fall of 2011. During this past summer I contacted the USMC office and talked to the OSO who informed me that I could in fact pursue a aviator contract in the corps despite being a junior. I've almost completed the application packet, pending a few letters of rec and other paperwork items.

My question comes here, how competitive is it to get a contract for PLC Aviation? My GPA is respectable, ~3.0, my letters of rec will definitely help my case and my PFT/PFA will be around 285 (Max pull up, max sit up, around a 20 minute 3 mile). Quick question for the aptitude test, I realize the better you do, the more competitive you'll be, but what is a "good" score to strive for?

How do my numbers look? I'm hoping to get a slot for this summers 10 week course and upon finishing that, finish school and agree to a aviation contract. I've been attending PT sessions with the Captain himself, along with other OCS and PLC recruits.

NOTE: I attended the USAFA for 40 days, completing Basic Cadet Training (BCT), but several issues at home caused for an unbecoming situation. I left, went to community college; applied for an AFROTC scholarship, got it, and then went to Cal. After a year of AFROTC, I felt that my needs were not being met. I wasn’t being pushed, I felt that the AF didn’t allow me to be the person I was meant to become and therefore left that program as well. UNDER BOTH PROGRAMS- I left voluntarily and have the paperwork to prove it. I feel that in my personal statement I will have a chance to portray my feelings as to why I wasn’t satisfied with the AF and why I feel the USMC is right for me.

If you guys can please help me out and give your opinions on the matter I would greatly appreciate it. I'm in no way promoting or deliberately hating on any of the branches of our military. Each has a specific mission and is justifiably tailored to the needs of that specific branch.

Thank you for your time,

Nickolas

81montedriver

pilot
Nick, good on you for pursuing your dream. Just a word of advice about this site, it's been around for over 10 years and you can imagine that there have been many other folks like yourself asking the same questions. Before you post again, be sure to use the search function as many people have asked the same questions as yourself and there have been threads already written on those topics that you ask about.

If search or separate research does not answer your questions, then we will happily answer your questions. You can imagine things get somewhat redundant after a while. Good luck.

J

JJax107

Hey guys,

I just stumbled upon this site recently and I figured that there would be no better place to ask.

As of right now, I'm a junior at the University of California-Berkeley. I'm studying Economics/Environmental Econ and am on track to graduate in the Fall of 2011. During this past summer I contacted the USMC office and talked to the OSO who informed me that I could in fact pursue a aviator contract in the corps despite being a junior. I've almost completed the application packet, pending a few letters of rec and other paperwork items.

My question comes here, how competitive is it to get a contract for PLC Aviation? My GPA is respectable, ~3.0, my letters of rec will definitely help my case and my PFT/PFA will be around 285 (Max pull up, max sit up, around a 20 minute 3 mile). Quick question for the aptitude test, I realize the better you do, the more competitive you'll be, but what is a "good" score to strive for?

How do my numbers look? I'm hoping to get a slot for this summers 10 week course and upon finishing that, finish school and agree to a aviation contract. I've been attending PT sessions with the Captain himself, along with other OCS and PLC recruits.

NOTE: I attended the USAFA for 40 days, completing Basic Cadet Training (BCT), but several issues at home caused for an unbecoming situation. I left, went to community college; applied for an AFROTC scholarship, got it, and then went to Cal. After a year of AFROTC, I felt that my needs were not being met. I wasn’t being pushed, I felt that the AF didn’t allow me to be the person I was meant to become and therefore left that program as well. UNDER BOTH PROGRAMS- I left voluntarily and have the paperwork to prove it. I feel that in my personal statement I will have a chance to portray my feelings as to why I wasn’t satisfied with the AF and why I feel the USMC is right for me.

If you guys can please help me out and give your opinions on the matter I would greatly appreciate it. I'm in no way promoting or deliberately hating on any of the branches of our military. Each has a specific mission and is justifiably tailored to the needs of that specific branch.

Thank you for your time,

Nickolas

Those are great question Nick. Many i want to know for myself

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Your main issue will probably be timing, both now and throughout your career. Depends on how many air contracts your district has for that class and a whole bunch of other issues. Four years ago I was told to either wait a year, or go in as a ground contract and try my luck at competitive air at TBS. It worked out and now I'm flying F-18s, but I would have been very pleased if I had gotten any ground MOS.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Its good to see fellow Cal alum on the forum... I graduated in '03 with similar stats (slightly lower PFT). Like was mentioned above, your numbers seem more than competitive, and success or failure (at least initially) will more than likely come down to timing. Your OSO should be able to give you some insight with regard to how any spots are forecasted to become available. Assuming you're 21 or so, i would say that time is definitely on your side, so submit your application and see what happens! Go Bears...

nukon

pilot
I realize this thread is a bit old, but in case you're still around, this may help some.

I notice that nasty "will be" in front of your PFT score, so here's some info I figure I'll pass along, from my friends at MarineOCS.com (great resource if you haven't been there yet)

Class 205 - Average PFT was 292

Class 206 - Average PFT was 288

Acceptance to PLC-C and especially OCC tend to be way more competitive than PLC Jr/Sr, never be content with your PFT/GPA. As for the ASTB, from my understanding, for us Marine wannabe's it's pass/fail -- 6/5/5 or something like that, I'm afraid I'm not sure of the actual numbers, but it's something like that. Definitely keep up the PT with your OSO, something great that I wish I could do.