• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC Marathon

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I ran it with my wife back in the 80’s. My training was running 3 miles around 4 times a week to maintain my 300 PFT. I was able to hang with her for about 5 Miles but ended up finishing about an hour behind her. Old lady’s were passing me by the end. One of the dumbest things I have ever done.
Some people just weren't made to run long distances, but end up doing just fine and make it to the HOF. Case in point:

USMC was too humid to race, so I basically used it as a training run for Philadelphia in a few weeks. I came in just under 4 hours at Marines and hope to get 3:20 at Philly (I got 3:28 in Philly last year).

Anyone have any tips on running two marathons 3 weeks apart? I am still a bit sore from Marines.

Reactions: IKE

taxi1

pilot
My 2004 MCM was my first and so far only official marathon. Ran it at age 44, and followed the training protocol recommended on the MCM site pretty closely. Did it in 3:57, was a zombie at the finish line.

I also ran Bald Eagle Megatransect in 2007, 26 miles and over 5000' of elevation gain. Did not train specifically for it, and suffered badly. Thus ending my super-long running career.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
F marathons and ultras. I have done a couple of half marathons (not consecutively, mind you ;)) and that was enough for me.

A 10K is the limit of how far I think I'd ever want to run again. At the tender age of 40, I'm more into biking, climbing, and rucking.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
I ran my first, last, and only marathon at the ripe old age of 53 (almost 54) in 2004 when I ran the Dallas White Rock, because I wanted to be able to say I ran a marathon. When I crossed the finish line, my wife was there waiting. She ran up to me and asked how it was. My response: "That was the dumbest thing I've ever done."

I ran my first, last, and only marathon at the ripe old age of 53 (almost 54) in 2004 when I ran the Dallas White Rock, because I wanted to be able to say I ran a marathon. When I crossed the finish line, my wife was there waiting. She ran up to me and asked how it was. My response: "That was the dumbest thing I've ever done."
LOL! I love the half: it is much, much easier to trainf for than the full, and the recovery time is faster than from the full. But, I did better than expected at the Philly Marathon last year, and so I thought I might have a chance to qualify for Boston when I signed up for Marines. Marines is definitely not the race if one wants a BQ. But, it is still a fun race. Curious to see how I do in Philly in a few weeks in the freezing cold.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
LOL! I love the half: it is much, much easier to trainf for than the full, and the recovery time is faster than from the full. But, I did better than expected at the Philly Marathon last year, and so I thought I might have a chance to qualify for Boston when I signed up for Marines. Marines is definitely not the race if one wants a BQ. But, it is still a fun race. Curious to see how I do in Philly in a few weeks in the freezing cold.
I was supposed to run the Baltimore Marathon two weeks ago and had plans to BQ in Newport, RI in April (flat course, good temps), but I ruptured my Achilles on an easy run in early August. I ended up deferring Bmore to next year and canceled Newport. I might need to cancel Bmore '24 and look at USMC. It isn't the flattest, but is much more so than Baltimore.

I was supposed to run the Baltimore Marathon two weeks ago and had plans to BQ in Newport, RI in April (flat course, good temps), but I ruptured my Achilles on an easy run in early August. I ended up deferring Bmore to next year and canceled Newport. I might need to cancel Bmore '24 and look at USMC. It isn't the flattest, but is much more so than Baltimore.
I had a partial tear on my Achilles after running the Albuquerque half. It never completely healed, even after years of different treatments. However, I can still run. By contrast, I broke 4 bones in my foot once and they completelty healed.

I don't consider the USMC flat at all. It is not as hilly as other races I have run, but it is definitely not flat.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I had a partial tear on my Achilles after running the Albuquerque half. It never completely healed, even after years of different treatments. However, I can still run. By contrast, I broke 4 bones in my foot once and they completelty healed.
This is why I'm sorta glad I had a full rupture along with calcaneal avulsion fracture. It means the doc had to cut me open, and once they do that, they can put it back to together completely, albeit with extra hardware and lengthy recovery.

This is why I'm sorta glad I had a full rupture along with calcaneal avulsion fracture. It means the doc had to cut me open, and once they do that, they can put it back to together completely, albeit with extra hardware and lengthy recovery.
How long was the recovery? I hear you can't walk for weeks after a surgery like that.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
How long was the recovery? I hear you can't walk for weeks after a surgery like that.
YMMV. I hear Aaron Rodgers was tossing the ball around after 3 weeks.

I had a good amount of Achilles repair after a "chronic" tear: hardware to anchor tendon to heel, and an FHL transfer (big toe tendon to heel). My doc let me walk in a boot with heel lifts and crutches after 6 weeks. I should be in my own shoes again around 8 weeks. TBD on jogging/running, but 6-9 months is what I hear.

YMMV. I hear Aaron Rodgers was tossing the ball around after 3 weeks.

I had a good amount of Achilles repair after a "chronic" tear: hardware to anchor tendon to heel, and an FHL transfer (big toe tendon to heel). My doc let me walk in a boot with heel lifts and crutches after 6 weeks. I should be in my own shoes again around 8 weeks. TBD on jogging/running, but 6-9 months is what I hear.
Get better soon!

Reactions: IKE