• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC M249 SAW Substitute

sodajones

Combat Engineer
+1 Completely agree. Switch to a composite stock to reduce some weight and you've got great battle rifle. If I wanted to break down doors I might opt for an M4 or a shotgun. The M-14 is dependable and tough. That .308 round will drop em from pretty far out too. That's why I like it. I can keep dreaming.

USGI synthetic stocks, springfield armory inc. synthetic stocks, and of course McM synthetic stocks are all heavier than a standard walnut stock.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Any future M-16/AR-type future development has GOT to be gas piston or something "newer & better" ... cleaner & cooler ... otherwise, why even go there??

And then there's still that pesky question of a .22 bullet for combat ... ?? :)

I wasn't clear I don't think. I was commenting on the Colt IAR and HOW STUPID it is that we're talking about an automatic rifle with a direct gas system; probably in the name of weight, but at a pretty big price in reliability and maintenance time I would imagine.

And com'on! It's .223!:icon_wink

sodajones

Combat Engineer
We're trying to make it lighter, not heavier. It also has to fire from the closed bolt, and in full auto without knocking rifleman jimmy on his ass.

Stop with this 'logic' nonsense.

I'm sick of carrying the bravo. I was wrong though, it's the minimi240 that weighs significantly less. The echo six is only 3 or 4 lbs lighter because of a titanium receiver.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Well, one of the appeals of the M60 is that it's balanced for offhand firing. I'm skeptical about how accurate it is from the shoulder, but you can realistically fire it. The M240, as reliable as it is......not so much.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor

You mean open bolt...

One of the complaints of the SAW is that an open weapon is believed to be unsuitable for room clearing. The LWRC entry is closed-bolt from semi and open from auto.

The other entries, IIRC (and definitely the Colt) are open-bolt though, so that was probably not a key requirement.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
ACTUALLY ... it's a .224 bullet ... but who's counting??

It's still closer to a .22 than a .30 ... :D

Well I think the 5.56mm/.223 will be "it" - practical results, history, and small arms experts around the world have rallied around this cartridge. I don't think DOD or NATO will ever move from this caliber - not in our lifetime anyway. Even anecdotes from Mesopotamia and Afghanistan have proven this cartridge does the job. And now as the MK262 77 Grain version becomes the standard...

Will .30 Caliber cartridges have a place? Sure. Just not in the rifle of the basic infantry Soldier/Marine

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
You mean open bolt...

I mean closed. I was arguing why a mini 240 wouldn't fit the profile for the new IAR. I suppose we're both right though, since somebody mandated it fire from the open and closed bolt positions.

BTW, the SCAR entry that automatically figures out which position to fire from mechanically by the temperature...yeah sounds like a lot of parts to lose.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
BTW, I still need/want/require/desire one of those ... too bad the civie-street version will not have all the whistles & bells ... :)

What whistles and bells do you desire ? I thought other than 16" barrel and semi auto only it was still the SCAR (in both .308 and .223)