• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC Intel

mrh001

If you get selected for Marine Corps Intel, what can you expect a typical career to path to be? I've looked at the MOS manual, but I was wondering if anyone could provide a little more insight.

How does Marine Corps Intel differ from USN Intel? I know that may seem like an obvious question, but I think it's legitimate. Is USMC Intel more about collection in the field whereas Navy Intel is more about analysis or vice-versa? Does one or the other provide a greater range of opportunities and billets?

Also, does USMC provide the opportunity for graduate education such as the Naval War College? How do Marine Intel Officers gain JPME credit?

Do Marine Intel Officers have the chance to earn a Secondary MOS. If so, how and which ones are available?

If these have been answered somewhere else, I apologize. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
mrh

oztin79

I'm just an OC, so obviously don't make any career decisions based on the following...but it's been enough to help me make some decisions:

I was just selected for USN Intel, but was originally going for Marine PLC. From what I've gathered and what made me change service applications is that USN Intel is much more extensive in what it covers. I've heard it referred to (by Navy and others) as the most sophisticated military intel apparatus in the US, and by extension, the world. I'm going to aim with everything I've got for a Marine combat unit integrated with USN Intel. These purple ventures happens from time to time and I hope to take part of them on the ground with the greatest infantry force in the world: The Marines!

bennett4362

deployment sucks
navy intel doesn't have specific designators like humint, sigint, etc. it's just intel. you may have particular jobs where you're focusing on one more than the other, but you're trained in and expected to perform in all avenues.

up until about 6 months ago all navy and marine intel officers went through the same basic intel courses together; not sure why the split or what/if anything is covered in the different classes now.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
oztin79 said:
From what I've gathered and what made me change service applications is that USN Intel is much more extensive in what it covers. I've heard it referred to (by Navy and others) as the most sophisticated military intel apparatus in the US, and by extension, the world. I'm going to aim with everything I've got for a Marine combat unit integrated with USN Intel. These purple ventures happens from time to time and I hope to take part of them on the ground with the greatest infantry force in the world: The Marines!

Naval Intelligence does cast a very broad net at the upper echelons, much more than MCIA (Marine Corps Intel Activity). However, at the JO/Co grade level, the focus will be fairly narrow for both. If assigned to an aviation unit, you'll do the same thing in either service--keep the squadron apprised of world events by sending pilots endless e-mails of news stories, and briefing pilots about threats they already know about during flt briefs. Obviously, the Corps also has ground intel, in which your living conditions will vary dramatically from those in the Navy.

bennett4362

deployment sucks
phrogdriver said:
keep the squadron apprised of world events by sending pilots endless e-mails of news stories, and briefing pilots about threats they already know about during flt briefs.

cause pilots know everything? and intel guys only waste your time?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
bennett4362 said:
Mostly - they are good for making copies and Starbucks runs.

Brett

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
bennett4362 said:

Well, since you asked, yes.

Whew, a little sensitive, huh? Anyway, I was trying to be a little light-hearted on the matter. I've seen both ends of the S-2 quality spread. A lot of them do see their jobs as keeping us apprised on current events, vice mission intelligence--to those intel Os, I say, "Please stop spamming me with clippings from the New York Times. I read the paper before I came in."

What I would like is information about the threat. Where we think the enemy is and what weapons he has. When giving a threat brief, I don't need to know how many pounds the battery of an SA-7 weighs. I need to know how the enemy is planning to employ it.

I won't denigrate those O and E intel types who do their jobs the way they were intended. However, many see their jobs as being conduits for message traffic. If you aspire to be in intel, don't be those guys. Distill the data into a usable product. Ask pilots what they are interested in so you can tailor your brief/product to the audience.

bennett4362

deployment sucks
phrogdriver said:
Well, since you asked, yes.

Whew, a little sensitive, huh? Anyway, I was trying to be a little light-hearted on the matter. I've seen both ends of the S-2 quality spread. A lot of them do see their jobs as keeping us apprised on current events, vice mission intelligence--to those intel Os, I say, "Please stop spamming me with clippings from the New York Times. I read the paper before I came in."

What I would like is information about the threat. Where we think the enemy is and what weapons he has. When giving a threat brief, I don't need to know how many pounds the battery of an SA-7 weighs. I need to know how the enemy is planning to employ it.

I won't denigrate those O and E intel types who do their jobs the way they were intended. However, many see their jobs as being conduits for message traffic. If you aspire to be in intel, don't be those guys. Distill the data into a usable product. Ask pilots what they are interested in so you can tailor your brief/product to the audience.

now this is an informative and helpful post. why couldn't you just say this to begin with instead of giving off the omnipresent "aviators know everything and everyone else is useless" vibe?

Tulman737

There are four types of Marine Intel : Ground, Human, Signal, and Air(if i remember correctly). Marine Intel is very hard to get into and you need to be at the top your class at TBS to get it. I am not exactly sure on the career path, but google TBS and you will run into there website. Then just look at the different companies and I know one of them has a slide show of all of the MOS's.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
bennett4362 said:
now this is an informative and helpful post. why couldn't you just say this to begin with instead of giving off the omnipresent "aviators know everything and everyone else is useless" vibe?
Get used to it, especially in 133. ;)

Brett