• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC/HQMC Procuring Lots of 1911's

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Looks like Marine Corps Systems Command is procuring lots of 1911's (A4s should be pleased!). Well, 1911 lower frames anyways.....

I'm guessing these are to rebuild the MEU(SOC) pistol. Are they out of WW2 era 1911 frames?

Link

Meusoc86.gif

FlyinRock

That delights hell out of me too! I'll have to check with some buds in the Distinguished Shooters Assoc and see if they have any additional info.
Semper Fi
Rocky

FlyinRock

Ummmmm, because it works and has for a century?
I'm all for modernization etc etc. But it seems to be like how to improve a knife?
No question I am biased having shot more than a million rounds through the 1911's and variants. It still works for me without benefit of whistles, bells, electronic enhancements, computer guidance, etc.
If I shoot at a target, there will be a hit scored. Misses Do Not count. Gee that sounds like a good title for a magazine article. What? You mean it was already written? Damn I forgot.
SWAT magazine circa 1982-83
Semper Fi
Rocky

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
So does that mean if we are supporting a MARSOC unit or on a MEU(SOC) float, we can pack that puppy in our survival vests as opposed to the 9mm?:icon_smil

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Why not use something more modern in .45? Glock, Sig, HK whatever?

What would the advantage be of something "more modern"?

Double action, more rounds in the mag, different caliber, etc...newer or different doesn't always translate to "better".

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Concur - what Hacker said!

Also remember that the primary job of the sidearm is to fight until you can get your rifle back up and working!

Training has also been historically around the single action 1911 and the associated controls. "It just works"

As a a competitive shooter myself, running a Kimber 1911 in .45 ACP, these little things mean a whole lot especially to real world folks.