• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC Executive Flight Detachment (HMX-1 and Presidential Helo)

MettGT

pilot
I know that you knew it. That was for all the rest.

I wasn't sure if they had Hueys, but I know that they don't have Cobras. They do still take Cobra guys into the squadron though. I think that they'll get you qualled on two aircraft while you're there. Typically it's the one that you normally fly and one other specialty chopper like the 60 or the 3.

By the way, all of these knowledges, such that they are, are proof that I did in fact listen to some of my MEU brethren in the wardroom from time to time. The HMX guys have some pretty interesting tales of different VIPs and cool places that they got to fly. They're probably the only chopper stories worth listening to outside of the skid kids.:D

For our helo capabilities class here at TBS, one of the pilots that flew into LZ-6 with a shitter was a Cobra guy. So I guess they take Cobra guys unless there was a recent change.

On a side note, for the CAS portion of R-7/Call for Fire we had a Cobra section fly in from Johnstown, PA (HMLA-775, I think) for about an hour of play time, which was pretty motivating.

limeyfish

I'm just wondering why anyone who uses Michael Bolton as his avatar would be asking the question. :icon_tong

Be happy I spared everyone the Tom Jones and David Hasselhoff avatars! Actually, just a huge Office Space fan...

And thanks for satisfying my idle curiosity.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The "White Top" side of HMX-1 is called the Executive Flight Detachment.

efd_patch.gif

The "Green Top" side does Operational Test and Evaluation reporting to COMOPTEVFOR. Currently, HMX-1 is responsible for the CH-46, CH-53 and UH-1N/Y programs and initially did all the work on the MV-22 before a separate MV-22 OT squadron was created. I'm surprised, however, that a VH-71 POC is not listed.

hmx1sq.JPG

snake020

Contributor
What is the patch that Major Jack Bauer is wearing during his brief time at HMX-1, or is it fabricated?

24s05e24-02.jpg

24s05e24-03.jpg

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
^^ I don't recognize it, but I'm too lazy too search. He looks like "lieutenant commander" Jack Bauer, since he has rank insignia on his shoulders (which Marines don't) and they're bright colored (AF flight suit rank insignia are generally subdued).

Screamtruth

นักมวย
Just for clarity, it's only Marine One when the President is on board. Otherwise it's just another chopper whose late for the wrong zone.:D

The other HMX aircraft (phrogs, shitters, 60's, and I think Hueys) do a lot more than just executive transport, and most of it isn't as moto, but you're right that there's a lot of flying involved. The vast majority of the helo lifts that you do at TBS are done by HMX-1, for example. Other than that, I'm not sure exactly why they fly so much. I guess because they can.

Where is that signature from? Funny as hell.

Threadjack out.