• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC app

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyTucson

Is there a physical Fitness Test that I will need to pass when I applying for a USMC pilot slot?
What is the age waiver process like (I'm 28).
Thanks.

O-man

Yes, but its not for the pilot slot so much as just OCS. as for being 28, that could be a problem. some one else here know more. Look for the topic in older posts. LCpl O-man

Raptor2216

You need to do a few things. First off, start running and run as much as you can. Start doing push-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups. Since you are 28, the physical requirement's will be slightly easier since age is taken into consideration. The push-ups will help your with the pull-ups and you can take my word for that. I'm 19 and they I was required to do atleast 10 pull-ups, 65 sit-ups and 3miles within 24 mins just to forward my application to headquarters. You should speak with an officer recruiter and officer recruiter only. Good luck.

Ghish

The PFT for the Marine Corps is based upon 3 exercises. Pull-ups, sit-ups, and a 3 mile run. To pass OCS you need to achieve at least a 225 out of 300 pts. You receive 5 pts per pull-up, 1 pt per sit-up, and -1 pt for every 10 seconds over 18 minutes on the run (you start off at 100 points on the run). My recruiter wants everyone to achieve at least 225 before even going to OCS, but from everyone I have talked to you should have at least 250 or more before you go. I have even heard of some recruiters wanting their candidates to have over 275 before they go.

I recommend a lot of running, at least 30 to 40 miles a week. And lots of upper body work (ie pull-ups, dips, push-ups, etc...)

**A 225 is a first class PFT minimum for the age group 17-26. I believe you would have to receive a minimum of 200 for the age group 27-39 to complete OCS.

Edited by - ghish on 04/05/2002 09:53:46

Edited by - ghish on 04/05/2002 09:55:01

Gator

As far as the PFT goes I would be in the best possible shape that you can be. I went to boot camp with a score of 290 out of 300 and still found it challenging. If you want accurate info on the requirements for being a naval aviator for the Corps then go to
http://www.usmc.mil/directiv.nsf/df51342d91236d2685256517004eb026/a1d248038de3ebf5852564970041b9eb?OpenDocument
Good luck!

Edited by - gator on 04/05/2002 12:41:17

Edited by - gator on 04/05/2002 12:41:49

53EDriver

Hello Sonny,
I can answer your question as I am currently a Marine OSO. Despite your advanced age, you may still possibly qualify for selection to attend OCS, HOWEVER, you will need to be in BETTER shape than the young folks. Why? An older person is more susceptible to injuries and historically has a higher attrition rate at OCS than a person in his or her early 20s. If we are convinced you will have a good chance to make it through the physical trials of OCS, then you might have a chance. This is how USMC OCS differs from Navy OCS. Our last attrition rate was 45% and most of that was due to physical injuries directly related to people arriving out of shape. What do I mean by out of shape? A 240 or less PFT with someone running over 22:00 3 miles is out of shape. Trust me. You had better be at 250 by the application deadline and looking at 270 by OCS if you need an age waiver. I want to see everyone succeed at OCS and make it to flight school. But, we don't want you to waste your or our time. USMC OCS is TOUGH, but if you are prepared you will do well. Good luck.

pilothoward

Hey, since were on the topic- I ship out for USMC OCS in June (the 10 week program). Anyone got any advice or preperation tactics? Yes, Im in at least 250 PFT shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.