• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Using the GI Bill on active duty

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Since I'm in a hellhole known as China Lake and I've got every other Friday off, I figured I had some time on my hands. I was kicking around the idea of getting an online MBA, and was wondering if anybody has used the GI Bill while on active duty for something of this nature.

Specifically, I was wondering what paperwork needs to be filled out to use the GI Bill, how to coordinate with the school, and during an online course if you were classified as a full or part time student.

Thanks.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Use tuition assistance and pay the rest out of pocket. Save your GI Bill for when you're out of the Navy. Benefits for folks on active duty are less than those who are not.

However, if you insist on using it, every school has somebody that handles VA paperwork. You'll need to get in touch with them. Also, you'll need to fill out form 22-1990 and send that in to the VA along with a statement of service and/or any DD-214's you have. All this is on their web page at:

GI Bill Education Benefits

Helo Guy

I used it a long time ago when TA wouldn’t cover some classes because of a CAP. When I used it full time and part time didn’t matter because I was on active duty they just covered tuition and books. It was fairly simple. The school will know what to do, they just want your money, especially online. If your just looking for something to kill time JPME is fairly easy and it will also count for elective credits at some schools.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Steve Wilkins said:
Use tuition assistance and pay the rest out of pocket. Save your GI Bill for when you're out of the Navy. Benefits for folks on active duty are less than those who are not.

[/URL]

Steve,

What's the current going rate for tuition assistance?

The program I'm interested in is six 4-credit courses a year, for 2 years, with each class lasting for six weeks.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I used it on active duty for commercial pilot's license rating training. Already had the ppl.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Steve Wilkins said:
Benefits for folks on active duty are less than those who are not.

Seeing as how TA only pays $250 per credit with a max of 12 credits a year, that's a whole lot of out of pocket expense. Are you saying that active duty can't draw the full $1034/mo that the GI Bill currently pays?

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It semester credits. Your classes are not full semesters. One month of benefits for AD folks is less than one month of benefits for folks not on active duty.

You need to call the VA and talk to someone about this.

KimberlyD

Steve, I'm not debating w/ you b/c I don't have a directive to point to but I do budget counseling for NMCRS & I see a lot of AD who are using TA w/ their MGIB (Top Up) & are receiving the full $1034 monthly.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Thisguy said:
Seeing as how TA only pays $250 per credit with a max of 12 credits a year, that's a whole lot of out of pocket expense. Are you saying that active duty can't draw the full $1034/mo that the GI Bill currently pays?
I beleive that the $1034/month is based on being a full time student. If you are on active duty, you probably would not be a fulltime student. You would get a prorated amount based on the number of credits you are taking. (At least that is how it worked in 1995.)

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Here's an email I received regarding full-time status:

Thank you for your interest in the W. P. Carey MBA at Arizona State University.

We do accept the GI Bill and have several active duty service personnel in our Online Program. Students are registered for 12 credit hours in each semester (9 credit hours is considered full-time at ASU).

(NMCI Blue for replies)

Here's a link I found for people wondering the same thing:

http://www.military.com/Resources/ResourcesContent/0,13964,47998,00.html

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
I would not use the GI Bill on AD; I used it to top-up my TA back in the day. Personally the money you get from the GI Bill is worth it when you’re out. In addition the costs of the school should not be over the amount TA will pay per credit. Also any money you use now is deducted from you total GI Bill when you get out.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KimberlyD said:
Steve, I'm not debating w/ you b/c I don't have a directive to point to but I do budget counseling for NMCRS & I see a lot of AD who are using TA w/ their MGIB (Top Up) & are receiving the full $1034 monthly.
That's not making sense to me. The Top Up is supposed to cover what TA does not, so I don't understand how they would be getting the full amount of $1034.

I think I know where I'm confusing folks. As I understand it, everyone (AD or not) is entitled to 36 months of benefits at $1034 per month. However, if you put in the extra $600 kicker (like I did), then you are entitled to UP TO $150 extra per month. If you are still on active duty, you will not get the full extra $150 that you would if you were out of the service.

Sooooo, my initial advice is half right I think....that is, unless you put in the $600 kicker. Two things you should still do. 1) max out the tuition assistance and 2) call the VA office and verify what I'm telling you

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Schnugg said:
I used it on active duty for commercial pilot's license rating training. Already had the ppl.
So how do I use TA or MGIB for the ATP while on Active Duty? How much can I expect to have to cover out of pocket? I've got the Commercial single & multi engine and Inst card. Any idea's on where best to go for the ATP?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
HooverPilot said:
..... Any idea's on where best to go for the ATP?
I don't know with any currency the in's and out's and amounts of GI benefits as they apply to flight training - talk to the VA for that -- but to your question:

There's got to be some guys networked in an around where you work -- or fly -- who have taken the step toward an ATP/ATR. Start there for some guidance. The question I would ask you is --- are you going to try to get a type-rating as well as the ATP rating ??? If so, I would start looking for the aircraft type-training (737? Lear/fear-jet?? What aircraft do you feel it's necessary to be typed in ??) and I'll bet the ATP rating will follow. The local Navy flying club -- assuming there is one -- is a good place to start. Or the local FAA GADO or ACDO.

Type ratings USED to be a very big deal to be competitive when the airlines were hiring and thousands of guys (literally) were applying. But then you had to have your F/E rating as well. An F/E?? What's that??

If past history is any indicator, I would get the ATP and type rating (if you feel that's necessary to be "competitive" ) as cheaply as possible -- again, check ATP mills -- I mean "schools";) -- as the cost and quality vary greatly. Some civilian flying jobs (SWA -- still ??) REQUIRE a type rating in the aircraft they fly. Saves 'em money and hassles with the Feds. But overall, I say get the ATP "cheaply" because as it turned out --- the "type rating" was much less important that the ATP license in actual practice and airline hiring criteria. Unless, of course, as mentioned above, the airline REQUIRES a type in a specific airplane.

Think about it: You might have a Lear-fear jet rating ... and 6-8 hours in type. What good are you as a Lear/fear jet pilot?? What good is the Lear/fear jet rating to an airline??

Answer to both questions: not much.

My own case? I got a Master's degree (insurance policy against not getting a flying job), an airline F/E rating (required then to be "competitive") , and a non-descript ATP at the Randolph AFB Flying Club --- all on the GI bill. I later paid for an expensive type-rating out of my own pocket after my first airline crashed and burned -- it turned out to be a waste of $$$$. It wasn't necessary --- I got hired by another airline on charm and good looks :D --- not the type-rating.