• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Using Economic Stimulus to get a Gun Safe

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
Since getting a M1 Garand from the CMP last spring I have been thinking it has been time to go and invest in some sort of gun safe. We currently have 7 weapons of various types including military rifles, shotguns and .22 rifles. I have talked to some of the different safe salesmen at the stores around town (Champion, Browning, Stack On) from other distributors(Ft Knox, Amsec) and researched on the internet. I have looked at some of the discussions on this forum specifically by a1abdj and CB900F but wanted to put a post with my specific situation.

I think I am looking for something that can store both weapons and documents(the girl from the local champion safe place recommended getting a firebox to go inside the safe for documents). Ive watched my budget had grow from $400 to 2k+ since I started looking at $400 sentry RSC, then went to the Sam's Winchester Safe for $650, to the $1000 Browning Bronze and the $1900 Browning Medallion series safes, and priced the fort knox protector series at ~2400. Money wise I am willing to pay for something good since security and fireproofing, not money are my major concerns yet I don't want to go over 3 grand total. I am looking for one would be pretty much a plain Jane safe (I don't mind the high gloss, just don't like the extra $200 to get it) I would think a safe in the 20-30 sq ft range (though I would consider a 40 sqft depending on the price) would be the right size. I like the external hinges and would prefer a rotating lock. I'm partial to seeing an example of before I buy anything. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to get a good deal for the money. I would appreciate your suggestions.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Fort Knox Safe's are the best readily available consumer safes out there. Period. If you can afford/justify the costs, they don't really have competition.

There are many others that will get the basic job done...but just look at the fire ratings, and guarantee...

DangerousDan

Fort Knox Safe's are the best readily available consumer safes out there. Period. If you can afford/justify the costs, they don't really have competition.

There are many others that will get the basic job done...but just look at the fire ratings, and guarantee...

$3000 is a still a lot of money though.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I completely agree and understand. I am in the same boat you are (although am looking for something a little bigger) and am trying to decide whether the cost of Fort Knox is justified. Don't think I was trying say your stupid if you buy something else. I'm just saying that from doing the digging I have, they are unquestionably the best.

Hey...Ferrari's are nice cars, and I'd love to have one...but I wouldn't plan on seeing me with one in the driveway you know?;):D

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Scoober is right. Decide on the biggest safe with the highest fire rating you can afford. Then go one size bigger. Buying guns is a condition from which you cannot ever recover.

DangerousDan

I completely agree and understand. I am in the same boat you are (although am looking for something a little bigger) and am trying to decide whether the cost of Fort Knox is justified. Don't think I was trying say your stupid if you buy something else. I'm just saying that from doing the digging I have, they are unquestionably the best.

Hey...Ferrari's are nice cars, and I'd love to have one...but I wouldn't plan on seeing me with one in the driveway you know?;):D

What you mean you cant afford a Ferrari's monthly payments with your flight pay?

feddoc
This particular safe is going to be for my parents since I am going to be gone to iraq and other places for the forseeable future. If/when I start buying more guns requires me settling down and getting a 9-5 job as a preq and then i probably buy another one for myself

While doing my research I came across some conversations on a gun forum from a locksmith from MO that was recommending the AMSEC BF series. Its seems like a good safe about 1000 bucks less than the ft knox with some better features than the budget safes.

http://www.amsecusa.com/catalog/2008_GS_Catalog.pdf

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
Just my two cents, but I purchased a two-door, key-locked gun locker from Cabela's for under $400 and have a decent-sized combination fire safe from Mr Walton's emporium for under $200. They're both in the same closet. I figured the guns are safe enough from common thieves and the fire safe protects the most valuable stuff - the paper. That way you could use the extra money for CMP ball ammo in the en bloc clips.
OBTW, I've got two of the CMP Garands in the locker and I couldn't be happier with them. Highly recommended.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Just my two cents, but I purchased a two-door, key-locked gun locker from Cabela's for under $400 and have a decent-sized combination fire safe from Mr Walton's emporium for under $200. They're both in the same closet. I figured the guns are safe enough from common thieves and the fire safe protects the most valuable stuff - the paper. That way you could use the extra money for CMP ball ammo in the en bloc clips.
OBTW, I've got two of the CMP Garands in the locker and I couldn't be happier with them. Highly recommended.

I've taken a similar approach. I bought a Stack On locker that is supposed to hold 10. It is locked by a key as well. The real reason I have it is to consolidate my collection and not have long guns under the bed w/ cables on them. It get's them all in one spot, but I wouldnt count on it to protect firearms from pro thieves, thats what Knoxx does. I am planning on getting a filing cabinet-sized waterproof/fireproof "safe" if I start stacking up on ammo. I can insure the guns....but I think it'd be VERY important to keep the ammo out of the fire!

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Went with a Ft Knox 12 gun back in 1990 and it's been one of my better investments. I've had to redo the inside that more than doubled the capacity so I'm getting close to new safe time.

Was about $1K IIRC and I did buy a fireproof box to go in it since the safe is the basic fire proof level.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I can insure the guns....

I hope you are right...I really do...but understand that I believed the same thing. I had a policy that I purchased after mentioning that I had a firearms collection with what is certainly the most highly regarded insurance company on this board. If you want to be certain protect them yourself.

Another way of "rationalizing" a safe purchase....My policy rider to cover the guns I had would have run about 120$/month. 12 months a year...1440/year....and in well under three years, I have paid for a tip-top of the line Fort Knox safe...and I KNOW that my guns are safe. I am not relying on the whim of an insurance company, the wants of a crackhead or the skill of the local PD. IMHO...that is the right answer. Believe it...I've been there. :)

MasterBates

I have a wimpy-fire rated safe/cabinet installed in the PUMA. It's not a long rating, but there is not much to burn in here vice a house. And the weight is much bigger of a penalty in the RV because of where it is mounted.

DangerousDan

Just for the record...USAA is the company that hosed me.

Yeah they hosed me on getting my second car too. Somehow they screwed up the payment to the car company and they wouldnt release the money.

About the only thing i use them for is for my Auto Insurance and my IRA