• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USCG to USMC questions

Gary86

I am currently active duty USCG (E6) and have been applying to USCG OCS (third time this year). I want to be a rotary wing pilot and my olny way to accomplish this is through OCS. I know the ins/outs of USCG aviation but want to gather some information from you guys on the USMC. I know in the CG you bounce from AIRSTA to AIRSTA until about the O4 level. I read on the USMC site that after your first flight tour you can be placed in any officer billet. Does the USMC not keep their pilots in flying jobs until they reach the staff tour level?

I spoke with a USMC recruiter today and he said I should be competitive (take that for what its worth. I know recruiters aren't always honest).

Little bit about me:

26, BA (Homeland Security/Emergency Management, 3.85 GPA), waiting to take my ASTB. I have great evals from the CG, never been NJP or anything degrogatory.

I want to keep my options open and not be closed minded. I have a goal of becoming an officer first and aviator and I am pursuing all options.

Gary86

EDIT: I've been reading around the USMC forum and sort of found the answer to my question regarding the flying tours. I completely understand the USMC wanting their officers to be well rounded. It is officer = first, pilot = second.

phrogpilot73

I spoke with a USMC recruiter today and he said I should be competitive (take that for what its worth. I know recruiters aren't always honest).
First and foremost... Did you speak to a RECRUITER, or an Officer Selection Officer? Did you fill out the request information page on marineofficer.com? The reason I ask is that the USMC recruits officers differently than the USCG (I have experience with both, ended up turning down an appointment for the DCA program).

Your stats sound good, have you ever looked at the physical standards for the USMC? Specifically the PFT? The Marine Corps likes that.

I have to say, I chuckled when I first read this. I know a TON of guys that have gone from USMC to USCG, and I know ZERO that have gone the other direction.

As for what our career path looks like:

OCS
TBS
Flight School
Fleet Squadron for ~4 years
B-Billet for ~1-4 years (could be in/out of the cockpit or a mix)
School/Staff Tour ~3 years
Fleet Squadron for ~2-3 years
School/Staff tour for ~2-3 years
etc...

You CAN stay in the cockpit your entire time, but you're playing with fire there (aka promotion). I know some guys who have done it, but they have all retired as Maj's. The USMC likes well-rounded MAGTF officers.

And I've got to say it - you have to want to be a Marine First.

Because if you stab your eye with a branch during night land nav in TBS, you could be going Artillery, Armory, Intel, etc... Are you ready for that? Also, you can be voluntold to go on a FAC tour (I was, loved it - and now teach guys how to be FACs in my civilian job) where you're walking the earth with the grunts for 1 year (or more).

Just want to let you know it's not all dress blues and dining outs! ;)

Gary86

First and foremost... Did you speak to a RECRUITER, or an Officer Selection Officer? Did you fill out the request information page on marineofficer.com? The reason I ask is that the USMC recruits officers differently than the USCG (I have experience with both, ended up turning down an appointment for the DCA program).

Your stats sound good, have you ever looked at the physical standards for the USMC? Specifically the PFT? The Marine Corps likes that.

I have to say, I chuckled when I first read this. I know a TON of guys that have gone from USMC to USCG, and I know ZERO that have gone the other direction.

As for what our career path looks like:

OCS
TBS
Flight School
Fleet Squadron for ~4 years
B-Billet for ~1-4 years (could be in/out of the cockpit or a mix)
School/Staff Tour ~3 years
Fleet Squadron for ~2-3 years
School/Staff tour for ~2-3 years
etc...

You CAN stay in the cockpit your entire time, but you're playing with fire there (aka promotion). I know some guys who have done it, but they have all retired as Maj's. The USMC likes well-rounded MAGTF officers.

And I've got to say it - you have to want to be a Marine First.

Because if you stab your eye with a branch during night land nav in TBS, you could be going Artillery, Armory, Intel, etc... Are you ready for that? Also, you can be voluntold to go on a FAC tour (I was, loved it - and now teach guys how to be FACs in my civilian job) where you're walking the earth with the grunts for 1 year (or more).

Just want to let you know it's not all dress blues and dining outs! ;)

I have looked at the PT test and I'm not concerned about that. I work out alot and run all the time. I would of course want to be a Marine first and earn the respect of the men and fellow officers. I don't want to ruin chances at promotiom, so I would do what was needed and I have a wife who is behind me 100%.

I was expecting a comment about USCG to USMC. I want to do a 20-30 year in the military (military brat) as an officer and if the USCG is not willing to allow me the chance to prove myself I will explore other routes. I love being in the CG and everything I have done but like I said...my end goal is to become an Officer and pilot.

I appreciate the feedback and help. I called a recuriter and filled out the form before but never heard anything.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I'm just throwing things out here, because I'm not a helo guy, but what about the Navy? Despite the Marine Corps' Naval tradition, I have the impression that the Navy and CG have a bit more in common than the Navy and USMC.

Gary86

I'm just throwing things out here, because I'm not a helo guy, but what about the Navy? Despite the Marine Corps' Naval tradition, I have the impression that the Navy and CG have a bit more in common than the Navy and USMC.

That's a very good point. I've contacted the Navy as well. I want rotary wing aircraft without a doubt and in the CG I have a good shot and the USN is looking for helo guys because I everyone wants jets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiseR 25

Acquaint me brother, how can I gain admission into the USMC, I'm interested.

Talk to an Officer Selection Officer (OSO), or an Enlisted member of the OSO's staff. DO NOT talk to a Recruiter. Your college student union should have an area where brochures are laid out for careers and the military service. OSO's are a little bit harder to find on the internet, but it might be possible.

JULUE RICHARD

Law Enforcer
Talk to an Officer Selection Officer (OSO), or an Enlisted member of the OSO's staff. DO NOT talk to a Recruiter. Your college student union should have an area where brochures are laid out for careers and the military service. OSO's are a little bit harder to find on the internet, but it might be possible.

I'm bit concern, I live outside of America. I need somebody to push me throught.