• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USCG through NROTC

mike172

GO NAVY
Someone told me it is possible to commission CG out of NROTC. I do not think this individual was correct. Can anyone confirm?

Ace_Austin

pilot
If you attend a maritime school (Mass, Maine, SUNY, Merchant Marine Academy etc) you can receive a direct into the USCG as long as you have your 3rds Lic. I know one person who "dropped" NROTC the day he graduated with the CO's blessing and same day walked with his NROTC classmates and put on ENS USCG. This may be a case by case gig. So once you get an idea of what school you want, contact them and ask.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's not the norm, but it is possible. I flew with a few Navy folks that graduated from the AF Academy, but got commissioned in the Navy.

-ea6bflyr ;)

SlickAg

pilot
Someone told me it is possible to commission CG out of NROTC. I do not think this individual was correct. Can anyone confirm?

"If you are currently serving in another branch of the U.S. Armed Forces or are enrolled in a ROTC program, you must provide a release from your service obligations prior to entering the Coast Guard."

http://gocoastguard.com/find-your-fit/officer-opportunities/programs/officer-candidate-school

Looks like the Navy would have to agree to let you go, and you'd still get to go to OCS. The USCG also has some good programs similar to BDCP if your school's undergrad population is at least 25% minorities.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

AllAmerican mentioned that VMI's NROTC has a program that commissions people in the USCG, but that it is the only one that does it. If you are not at a Maritime School or VMI I would contact your closest USCG officer recruiter to find out what programs are available.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
AllAmerican mentioned that VMI's NROTC has a program that commissions people in the USCG, but that it is the only one that does it. If you are not at a Maritime School or VMI I would contact your closest USCG officer recruiter to find out what programs are available.

I did, and I have a BR who is actually pursuing that at the moment. If I'm not mistaken it requires you to enroll in the NROTC program and then it's either a direct commission or you attend USCG OCS. I'm not exactly sure on the details as I'm not part of the program, but I know it's possible and I know of people who've done it. More than likely contacting a USCG recruiter is the best idea.

Flash, thanks for the plug. Maybe you could even start wearing some red, white, and yellow around. :D

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can't speak specifically to your question about ROTC, but in general, cross-commissioning between any two services is done on a one-for-one basis. That is, you'd have to find someone in the CG who wanted a Navy commission.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash, thanks for the plug. Maybe you could even start wearing some red, white, and yellow around. :D

When I feel like I have nothing left going for me and I want to look like a pansy, I will start wearing 'spider' gear around. Until then, I will stick with Citadel gear.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Flash said:
Yes, Golf '96. Last of the 'Old Corps'! See if you can guess why.......;)
shannon_closeup.jpg