• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USCG SW life

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I can't give you details, since I was neither a SWO nor in the CG, but... After just hearing 2 months of deployment stories about life aboard a cutter from a Coastie, I wouldn't sweat it. Life sounded busy, but not anywhere nearly as painful as the Navy makes it on its people.

sardaddy

pilot
There may have been only 8 slots for flight school but I can almost guarantee there were even less billets for afloat operations. Most of those go to the newly minted CG academy grads.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Most of the comments I've heard from Coastie cutter guys vis a vis Navy SWO's were something to the effect of, "Why do you guys freak out about everything?"

Staubb00

Most of the comments I've heard from Coastie cutter guys vis a vis Navy SWO's were something to the effect of, "Why do you guys freak out about everything?"

nice! from what I've observed through the OCS process and from Coastie pilots I've met over the years that seems to be the attitude throughout the CG. thanks for the replies promising to hear! from some of the gouge i got the last class had about a dozen afloat positions.

Brunes

pilot
SCHWEET-Another question I can answer...at least a bit.

It seems that the ass pain of being a SWO on a Navy boat is far worse than the most miserable day I ever had on the boat.

I was busy-
Primary job: Deck Watch Officer
Collaterals (About 1/2 the list for 1/2 the time and then switch):
Assistant Navigator (2nd year-After qualifing)
Weapons O (1st year)
Maritime Law Enforcement O (both years)
Electronics O (1st year)
Educational Services O (1st year)
Urinalysis Coordinator (2nd year)
Health Promotion Coord (2nd year)
Unit Public Affairs POC (both years kinda)
Ships Store Manager (2nd year)

So throw all that stuff into a 24 hour day with 2-8 hours of watch and sleep- it makes for a busy patrol. Port calls are not always AS exotic..but still a blast. You'll get to know everyone on the ship to some degree...you'll get to be a good ship driver cause the CO, XO, OPS, and everyone else who ever drove anything will be there to help/guide/coach you.
I'm pretty sure you'll get a TON more real responsibility (you'll stand OOD watches alone within a year...I executed a drug bust on my own...I managed (i won't say lead...that is for them to decide) 11 folks in three different divisions and worked with a department head)

IDK if any of that hit on what you are looking for....if it did...glad I could light that up for ya...if i didn't PM or post up any other questions and I'll do what I can. (I'm about a year off of my ship at this point so it's still pretty fresh)