• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USCG OCS... officer oppurtunities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
Bravo14- thanks for explaining what you've had to do. Do you have a comprehensive list of what is needed in the application package? What kind of questions did you face in the interview? Was it essentially a what's your motivation type question?

Good luck with finding out if you were accepted.

PudriK

SCGA (VT-3)
Oh, one more GREAT reason to go Coast Guard. If you wash out of flight school (grades, physical, etc) as a Coastie, you'll still be in the service. Right now the Navy is discharging most people who fail out of flight school, although they can puch to switch to another specialty.

Bravo14

Here is the suggested list of what you will need:

http://www.gocoastguard.com/dc/DCPrograms/ocs.htm

Put in your package now, recruiters are preparing packages for the next class-I do not know the exact date. Take the ASTB before you go to OCS if you want flight. As for the interview, I researched the web and found a guideline of what interview boards generally use when interviewing. My board generally did that, but asked me follow up questions to my responses, which caught me by surprise. It is in the Coast Guard Personel Handbook. Take a look at that and tell me what you think. O days and waiting. Bravo

helmet91

The link you provided is where I got the information in my initial post ;) .

I guess I'll get cracking on that. I have drill this weekend so it looks like I'll have to wait until next week...

now if only the recruiter would call me back.

GTDaveMac

Looks like the next deadline is 28 JAN 05 for the second class of 2005, starting 02 JUN 05. This doesn't leave much time to prepare your package, esp with the holidays, so get started right away. The two time critical factors would be going to MEPS and having an interview board. The narrative and paperwork will depend on you.

There are tentative dates for classes after that with deadlines in May (Oct/Nov class?) and September (Feb class?).

Be PROACTIVE!

helmet91

fortunately, I'm already in the military (USNR) so I'd just need to get my most recent full physical. I have the EPSQ SF86 saved on my PC (plus a Secret clearance in the USNR already). I can contact my LOR writers and have them send out modified copies. I just need to actually get a hold of the recruiter. I shot him an email and left a voicemail... I might have to swing by the office on my lunchbreak one of these days.

thanks for the info on the deadline/class dates!

GTDaveMac

Bravo14 said:
Dave, Are you active duty right now?

Yes.

Physicx said:
Can someone tell me is it really 11 year commitment?And is it hard to get selected out of OCS?

3 year commitment out of OCS. Flight school commitment=8 years. This makes 11. At OCS the class sizes can be from 60-90, with a few spots for flight school. My class had 70 with 5 spots for flight school. Probably 50% of the class was interested in flight school, but after taking the ASTB, flight physical, and factoring in interest/age restrictions, there were about 10 people eligible. After that, performance will determine if you get flight school or not... platoon officer recomendation is what you need. If you don't get flight school out of OCS, as long as you remain medically qualified and perform well, you shouldn't have a problem getting picked up within a year or two. There are 2 selection boards a year, and the acceptance rates are pretty good.

Physicx said:
I know they ask for volunteers and test you.And do you have to do a non flying billet?Thanks
Flight school billets are filled first based on performance. Then the rest of the billets are filled. You get what you get. So yes, you have to do a non-flying billet if that is what you are assigned.

Physicx

Banned
Thanks for the info.That seems like a long commitment. Didn't it used to be six years after ocs?And I thought they waved the three commitment if you went directly to flight school.CGDave are you in flight school now?How hard is it to get based on the west coast?

GTDaveMac

Physicx said:
Thanks for the info.That seems like a long commitment. Didn't it used to be six years after ocs?And I thought they waved the three commitment if you went directly to flight school.CGDave are you in flight school now?How hard is it to get based on the west coast?

I am not in flight school, but awaiting the next selection board on 15 Dec., and I don't think that 11 years is a long commitment based on the amount spent to train someone at Navy Flight School.

I did read somewhere that it used to be 6 years.

I don't understand the west coast remark. Geographical location has nothing to do with it, nor does it really matter what unit you are at when requesting flight school. It is mostly performance based.

GTDaveMac

That is not an easy question to answer. It really depends which airframe you fly and where there are openings. "Needs of the service" comes to mind.

There are airstations all along the west coast, as well as the east coast. (The Gulf of Mexico, Alaska, and Great Lakes too.) Although you could base your decision to fly fixed wing or helos based on unit locations, you really can't decide whether or not you want join the Coast Guard (or any military branch) based on if you can live in an exact location. Besides, you'll be moving every four years anyway.

You can, however, research locations and decide if you like the possibilities:

See the list of Airstation location at the bottom of each page:
http://www.uscg.mil/datasheet/hh-65.htm
http://www.uscg.mil/datasheet/hh-60.htm
http://www.uscg.mil/datasheet/hc-130.htm
http://www.uscg.mil/datasheet/hu-25.htm
http://www.uscg.mil/datasheet/mh-68.htm

GTDaveMac

You should read the Officer Career Guidebook that I posted. It explains all the career paths.

As far as populatity, I guess some popular billets would be Operations Ashore or Afloat, Marine Safety and Security Teams (MSST's), and many more.

Status
Not open for further replies.