• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uscg Dca Fy08

skylier36

None
Just a heads up, if you are submitting a packet allow extra time to go to MEPS. CGRC now wants all DCA applicants to get a entrance physical from MEPS in addition to the flight physical. I did mine today ant it's the complete physical not the abbreviated version. It took just over six hours.

Puddlz

Where's the head?
pilot
Does anyone know how much attention they pay to dental? Will they accept a class II or III, or does it HAVE to be a class I. I've been in and out of the clinic here for the past year as they butcher my mouth over a stupid crown that was fine (had it for 15 years), but the guy just didn't quite like the look of it?!?! I'm getting ready to say forget it and pull the dang thing, then I'd get my class I.

phrogpilot73

Does anyone know how much attention they pay to dental? Will they accept a class II or III, or does it HAVE to be a class I. I've been in and out of the clinic here for the past year as they butcher my mouth over a stupid crown that was fine (had it for 15 years), but the guy just didn't quite like the look of it?!?! I'm getting ready to say forget it and pull the dang thing, then I'd get my class I.
I was Class II when I applied - and was selected as an alternate, so yes - they're not super worried about it. I would be concerned if it's less than a Class II though. Hmmm East Coast Phrog guy winged in 2002... I very well may know you. Send me a PM.

phrogpilot73

Does the Coast Guard take DCA's as an O-2 or O-2E?
Yup, but you would be commissioned as an Ens. As long as you meet the minimum requirements for hours, etc... Here's what was needed to be competitive for the last board: >1000 hours and working on masters. That's the gouge I heard.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think he's asking if he's accepted as an O-3E, will he become an O-2E or just an O-2. Seems like legally he "should" be an O-2E, but that might make too much sense.

phrogpilot73

I think he's asking if he's accepted as an O-3E, will he become an O-2E or just an O-2. Seems like legally he "should" be an O-2E, but that might make too much sense.
Whoops... You're right, although if he's an O-3E (4 years enlisted) then he's probably REALLY close to the 10 year limit which is not waiverable. I was only enlisted for 2 1/2 years, and was at 10 years, 1 day. It wasn't an issue but I was told because it was only one day... 6 months is another story...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Oh that's right, the 10 years total service, not commissioned service. So...did you ever find out if you would have been an O-2E?

skylier36

None
One of the guys from my unit was a O-3, he said that all prior service come in with the E designation. It's been a few years since he was selected.

sardaddy

pilot
The only way you get the "E" pay is if you have four years as an enlisted or warrant officer. Serving as an "O" in another service doesn't count.

So even if you were an O-4 in another service and didn't have four years as an enlisted member or warrant officer, you will become an O-2. No "E" attached.

However, if you were a warrant officer, you would get commissioned as an O-1E because of you warrant service.

O-1E over 8 makes $ 3440.10 a month and an O-2 over 8 makes $3936.60 but an O-2E over 8 makes $4062.00 Just in case anyone cared

The four year criteria is the same in any service.

O-3E over 18 sends.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The only way you get the "E" pay is if you have four years as an enlisted or warrant officer. Serving as an "O" in another service doesn't count.

I don't think anyone was saying a previous O would make -xE pay. However, I was mixing up the 4 years portion of my question. Sorry for the confusion.

Puddlz

Where's the head?
pilot
I asked one of the DCA's here and he thinks three years enlisted you get to come in as an O-2E. I'm not prior enlisted, but after looking at the difference in BAH for several locations I started some wishful thinking...oh well.

sardaddy

pilot
Just got word via the message board that they will be accepting age and time in service waivers for the DCA program this year. Of course that doesn't mean you will get accepted but at least you can apply if you do need a waiver. The message was pretty short and didn't say how much time or up to what age that they would allow a waiver. Sorry.

"I asked one of the DCA's here and he thinks three years enlisted you get to come in as an O-2E."

Sadly he is wrong. It is pretty well spelled out in the manuals. I know guys who were warrant officers and enlisted in the Reserves and National guard for many years (over 6) but when their active time was compiled they had less than four years and were not allowed to get the "E".

From one who has gotten the "E" it is great to have. But, believe it or not, in some locations, the "E" guys get less in BAH than the regular guys. I have no idea why.

Puddlz

Where's the head?
pilot
Phrogpilot73....I've tried to send a couple of PM's, but with no luck (or response). I'm new to this, so I don't know if I'm doing it right. Is there a setting I'm missing that allows PM's?