• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USAF to USN Inter-Service Transfer for Color Vision

bmather9

What test does the USAF use for color vision? I thought they used those color plates. The Navy, as far as I know, has always relied on the FALANT light test and thank goodness for those as I have a hard time with those plates. I'm coming up on 18 years active duty and if not for the FALANT, I doubt I would have been flying for the military.

The USAF has traditionally used the PIP I plates (there are 3 versions, Ishihara, Waggoner and Dvorine, but they're all the same idea). More recently they added the PIP II (similar to the PIP I). Even more recently they added the PIP III, F2 plate, and the Cone Contrast test for pilot candidates. If all these tests aren't enough, they'll also throw in the D-15 color arrangement test and an anomaloscope. If any of these reveal even the mildest color deficiency you're DQed on the spot unless you're already a rated military aviator.

It seems that they are going to ditch all of these tests in the near future and go with just the Cone Contrast test, which still will DQ anyone even with the mildest deficiency.

I did the plates in Norfolk for my last flight physical. I'd say it's about 50-50 whether I get FALANT or plates. Good thing I don't have problems with either.

I always pass the plates and the FALANT also but unfortunately that's not good enough for the USAF. So I'm stuck in the USAF and disqualified from every career field I want; that's why I'm trying to transfer services.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I assume the FALANT is the easiest and maybe, most realistic?? Don't get why the AF doesn't just use it. Maybe it's another way to weed out candidates. I've never had any issues, flying the ball (day/night), at night, seeing colors, etc. It seems the FALANT is good enough.

bmather9

I assume the FALANT is the easiest and maybe, most realistic?? Don't get why the AF doesn't just use it. Maybe it's another way to weed out candidates. I've never had any issues, flying the ball (day/night), at night, seeing colors, etc. It seems the FALANT is good enough.

From what I can tell, the FALANT is generally the easiest and you are living proof of its validity. I've heard every argument under the sun from the USAF as to why they don't use the test anymore. They've claimed that they have more advanced cockpits that make use of more colors, which might be true for some airframes, but I can't imagine a scenario where I'd have a problem. I mean, I never even knew I was color deficient until the age of 24 and grew up using multicolor displays in video games, school, and everyday life. Just damned frustrating.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I don't pretend to know why the AF does thing the way it does. I won't say that the system is broken as I assume there are many more pilot canidates with normal color vision vice those with mild to severe color deficiencies. However, the navy has seemingly done just fine with their testing standards. I don't have any data as to mishaps caused by deficient color vision though I have heard of one in the 1970/80s than involved a mid-air of either two F-4's or two F-14's where color vision was an issue but I'm not quite certain of that and if it was, not sure if that was the primary cause. I mean keep it simple, a light test that if the facts back it, is sufficient enough to let those into the cockpit that won't have issue.

bmather9

I don't pretend to know why the AF does thing the way it does. I won't say that the system is broken as I assume there are many more pilot canidates with normal color vision vice those with mild to severe color deficiencies. However, the navy has seemingly done just fine with their testing standards. I don't have any data as to mishaps caused by deficient color vision though I have heard of one in the 1970/80s than involved a mid-air of either two F-4's or two F-14's where color vision was an issue but I'm not quite certain of that and if it was, not sure if that was the primary cause. I mean keep it simple, a light test that if the facts back it, is sufficient enough to let those into the cockpit that won't have issue.

I know of the incident you're talking about; I believe the pilot in question was in an F-4 but I'm not sure of the other aircraft. If I remember the story, he ejected because he thought another aircraft was about to collide with him, supposedly due to his incorrect identification of the red/green wingtip lights. I spoke with one of the doctors who tested him after the incident and he told me that he was not even able to pass the FALANT. Supposedly he had slipped through the system, which I'm guessing was more relaxed back then.

bmather9

So I just got back from my trip to take the Army flight aptitude test (AFAST) and the flight physical. AFAST went well, scored 138 (90 is passing, supposedly 120 is competitive). Went through the whole 2-day flight physical ordeal and even passed the color vision book. Unfortunately, at the last stop with the flight surgeon, he said that since the USAF says I'm color deficient, that it doesn't matter if I can pass the Army tests.

I argued about this for quite a while and made him pull up the regs on the computer; they read:

"The US Air Force standard for pilot accession is COLOR NORMAL (no deficits found on screening) while the US Army and US Navy standard is for COLOR SAFE, translating to accepting those who may have some mild deficit, yet still pass the screening test algorithm (see the ATB, Color Vision Testing)."
"The Army passing standard is PIP PASS (2 or less errors out of 14 presentations). If failing the PIP, but passing FALANT (or OPTEC-900, no errors in 9 presentations), this meets the standard, but REQUIRES a one-time ophthalmology/optometry evaluation to define the potential color axis and specific type of deficiency as well as assess for any underlying abnormalities for INFO ONLY status."

I've passed the damn PIP 5 or 6 times for the military now (never failed it) and passed the FALANT twice at a Navy clinic just to make sure I could if I had to. Now I admit that the USAF did a full color vision workup on me and revealed that, without a doubt, I have a color vision deficiency. But based on the Army regs I quoted, I am mildly deficient, and still pass their test which should have classified me as "Color Safe" and not have DQed me.

The flight doc submitted the physical to Fort Rucker with recommendation of DQ anyway. So I've contacted the physical qual department at Rucker and am waiting for a flight surgeon to call me back in the next few days. It just doesn't seem right to me, that they don't even follow their own regs. I guess I'm complaining to the wrong crowd, but I wonder if the same thing would happen to me if I went to get a Navy flight physical?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Sounds like you are having quite a difficult time over this. I'm not a flight doc but my guess is you wouldn't have an issue with the Navy folks. Then again, NAMI can be hard core but from I've seen, pass the Navy's test, all is good.

bmather9

An update about my army flight physical:

After the army flight surgeon recommended me for DQ due to the USAF color vision testing (even though I passed the tests for the Army physical), I got in touch with Ft. Rucker aeromedical and they basically told me that they will approve me. They contacted the flight doc who DQed me but he wouldn't change his recommendation, saying that he had a "bad experience with color vision in the past". My Ft. Rucker contact apologized, but said if I could go get another physical with another flight surgeon somewhere else, and if I pass the color vision tests again, that they will approve it. So as annoying as it is to go through the whole physical again, its well worth it if this works out.

A.E.

Wow, talk about determination. Good luck, bmather9.. I'm sure your experience will translate to a great testament to your willpower if you need an interview to transfer to a ARNG unit.

bmather9

Flight Physical Approved!

So to update my story, the Army docs who said they would approve my physical, wanted me to take a specific version of the FALANT color vision test called the OPTEC 900. This thing was hard to find, but I eventually found an FAA doctor with it, went there and passed it without problems. I actually thought this test was easier than the regular Farnsworth Lantern, but the flight doctors said it lets slightly fewer color anomalies pass.

After proving I could pass the OPTEC 900, I ended up going to a Naval Base and went through a whole new flying class I physical. I made sure they did both the PIP plates and the Farnsworth Lantern on me, both of which I passed. Since I did this with the navy, I asked them to submit it to both the army and navy.

It took almost 3 weeks before they even submitted it to the Army. Once submitted, a week later I was notified that it was coded as incomplete. I had to request the physical from the records department to find out which things were considered incomplete. So I called my local flight medicine department at my USAF base, to see if they could accomplish the incomplete portions of the physical. They agreed and said they could finish it up without a problem.

So I show up for my appointment to finish up tests for the flight physical, and give the list of missing tests to the technician who was going to be working with me. He takes the list back into the office, while I sit and wait about 45 mins, then he comes out and tells me they can do all the tests except for: measuring my total armspan, and leg length. I showed him directions on how to perform the measurements which were given to me by my army contact.

I ended up speaking with the flight doc, and he said that since these measurements were not in the USAF regulations, that they could not perform them. I was mad as hell and argued with him a bit before I gave up.

So in short, I was able to get in touch with the naval base who had completed my physical, and they were able to get me all the information I needed to complete the flight physical other than a "Read aloud test" and some blood work. The USAF doctors agreed to give me the "Read aloud test" and said my blood work was in the system. So I go back to the USAF doctor, complete the "read aloud test", and get a printout of my blood work which had previously been done. One of the three blood test results that I needed was missing. The woman I was working with said she could see it in the system, but didn't have the permissions on the computer to see or print the results. She said I would have to fill out a form and wait a few days for them to mail the results in. Quite frustrated again, I called the navy clinic once more, and they were able to get me the results of the test via a fax.

That evening I submitted all the updated physical paperwork to the Army via email; the next morning my Army contact had approved it! He said he prioritized it since I seemed motivated. I got a copy of it sent back to me with a big stamp "Qualified" on the front!

So I'm not sure where the Navy physical submitted to NAMI stands, but it still seems like the Navy doesn't have any open spots for inter-service transfers into pilot training. So I'm going to press on with the plan to go Army National Guard.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Congrats...finally, eh :) Dude, what a pain in the ass and too bad there are no Navy slots. Hey, you can always switch over if that is your desire but my guess is once you start flying for the Army, most likely you'll be content. The AF is a bit ridiculous as to their CV standards but it is what it is. I've taken the OPTEC 900 as well, I think its shell is white or off-white? I thought that the colors were more distinct while the Falant colors always seemed more faded.

bmather9

Quick Update

Just a quick update, I got everything together for my applications to Army National Guard Aviation, and I'll be sending them out to the states I chose this weekend. If all goes well I should have interviews sometime in August and then could be at pilot training sometime next year. I'll update when I hear something back.

bmather9

So I finally went to interview with Army National Guard Units and so far I've been offered flight training slots by 2 of them. I have some decisions to make about which aircraft I want to fly and where I want to live for the next 6 or so years after I finish flight training.

The next big step is getting released from the USAF (I still have approx. 2 years commitment left). The USAF is generally getting rid of people right now so hopefully this isn't a problem.

bmather9

Which aircraft??
Apaches or Blackhawks. I think the Blackhawks are in a better location for me and it seems like they have an awesome and versatile role. Part of me still really wants Apaches just because its an awesome machine that gets to shoot stuff.