• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USAF Question

A.E.

Hi everyone,

I would like to know if the USAF has any program similar to the US Marines PLC or US Navy BDCP (guaranteed flight slot). I know that it is Officer first, aviator second but I want to give my self as best a chance as possible to be picked up for flight school.

(PS I asked here because I couldn't find any AF aviation forum)

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Hi everyone,

I would like to know if the USAF has any program similar to the US Marines PLC or US Navy BDCP (guaranteed flight slot). I know that it is Officer first, aviator second but I want to give my self as best a chance as possible to be picked up for flight school.

(PS I asked here because I couldn't find any AF aviation forum)

I believe that all services but the Army (and the Marines except in the case of aviation, which IS guaranteed*) guarantee your job after OCS/OTS, but I dunno the specifics for the AF.

That being said, give the baseops.net forum a try too!

http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/

*Guaranteed meaning you don't suck / your eyes work and all that good stuff.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Best bet would be to talk to your local AF Officer recruiter...

Now, as to why anyone would willingly join our sisters in blue...

shotcalla10

what percent of RL officers get jets?
If I were to goto the AF... I'd select fighters, fighters, and fighters and then select F-18c, F-18e, F18f... maybe then they'll give me the boot and send me to the Navy. :D

Flathatter, did you know that guy named John in the IMAX: Fighter Pilot operation redflag? And I was only kidding with the F-18s. :icon_wink I'd be the happiest man alive if I get to fly or ride in anything with jet engines that are single/two seater and can fly supersonic.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Try "pledging" a Guard unit to two. Plus sides: Guaranteed airframe and unit, 45 day split up deployments, not a whole lot of the active duty BS. Negative Sides: BRAC, if your unit loses their airplanes or transitions you probably will too, it's only a part time job for most guys in the Air National Guard as there are very few Full-Time slots. Even flying "part time" is more like 3/4 time.

A.E.

Thanks for the responses. Even though they were helpful I meant are there programs for the USAF where you are guaranteed that you will fly once you finish OTS (as long as you pass medical exams, tests, etc). I would love to fly anything for any service but of course I have preferences (strike, fighters, cargo).

I know that after college you can apply for OTS but am not quite sure if you get a flight slot. So I'm looking for clarification on that and also if the USAF has college programs like PLC / BDCP.

mxracer19

Hanging out in K-Vegas.
You're never guaranteed to fly. Ever. Through PLC, barring disqualification, you're guaranteed an attendence slot to proove your worth in the first level of flight school. You could still fail API.

-Matt

A.E.

Since we're getting into the little details then when I say flight slot I mean a spot at flight school.... Jeez.

A.E.

Oh forgot about that Flathatter. Thanks...

Anyways not to nag but my question is still open for answers :).

I know that after college you can apply for OTS but am not quite sure if you get a flight slot. So I'm looking for clarification on that and also if the USAF has college programs like PLC / BDCP, where you get a flight slot (of course if you do well, have good health etc etc etc).

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh forgot about that Flathatter. Thanks...

Anyways not to nag but my question is still open for answers :).

Puck11 gave you an answer right away and a steer to a site that specializes in Air Force flight training. My advice is to head over there and not "nag" a Navy/Marine Corps site for answers about Air Force programs. We only have a "token" Air Force presence here so you're looking in the wrong corner of the Internet.