• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS USAF Fighter And Bomber Crews Get Modified M4 Rifles That Fit Under Ejection Seats

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I for one am pleased to see the LE love affair with the .40 finally end. Talk about too much cartridge!

Tons of LE surplus guns available cheap (including USPs).

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Huh? I’ve seen some videos of random traffic stops that indicate otherwise...
Really I was being a sarcastic, but having been in plenty of firefights I see no reason to fire 30 plus rounds in a matter of seconds. That ain’t shootin’ that’s showering.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Why was .40 not optimal, and what are they mostly switching to?

Where can someone buy them?
Most agencies, including the FBI have returned to 9mm - citing training efficiencies, improved marksmanship (less recoil), and improved performance of modern 9mm ammunition. Its been a sea change. 40 caliber was a great idea at the time - but many departments saw reduced scores, issues with smaller framed people being able to manage the recoil properly, increased training, and wear and tear on 9mm framed pistols refactored for use with .40 S&W. You saw departments adopting the Glock 22 in the 90's - by far the most popular duty pistol in the world. I think the FBI returned to 9mm after a lot of studies and concluded there is such a minute difference in the terminal performance between the 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP, that the interface between the shooter and the handgun, ammunition capacity and shot placement (accuracy) matter more.

I come from the background as a competitive shooter - someone with real LE experience like @GroundPounder can probably explain it better.

https://aimsurplus.com/firearm/handgun/

Good example here:

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
. . . there is such a minute difference in the terminal performance between the 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP, that the interface between the shooter and the handgun, ammunition capacity and shot placement (accuracy) matter more.
??

I felt a great disturbance in the Force . . . as if thousands of wannabe Internet commandos cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
...Lots of good words...

That’s a good summary. I’ve read a lot of incorrect inferences coming from that FBI executive summary as to why they switched to 9mm. A big one is that 9mm is as effective (shot for shot) as other calibers when it comes to terminal ballistics. It’s more nuanced than that, and I think you summarized it better: the difference is small and the entire shooter-firearm-projectile system is what matters.

It comes down to cost and sufficiency. Just about every agency has limited resources to train and supply their agents/officers. What is the most cost effective approach to sufficiently train and employ firearms:
-Premium 9mm sufficiently meets the FBI-determined requirement for barrier penetration and expansion
-9mm training ammo is cheaper
-9mm requires less time/money to train to a sufficient level (shot placement skill)

What is not mentioned is that larger calibers still perform marginally better, shot for shot, than 9mm... but at what cost is it worth it?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Why was .40 not optimal, and what are they mostly switching to?

Where can someone buy them?

Most are switching to 9mm, though I've heard tell of some going to 10mm. As Griz said, the FBI ran a study a few years ago where they found that modern 9mm pistols just made more sense from a logistical and marksmanship perspective and that there wasn't enough of a difference between 9mm and .40 SW. I honestly never understood people's fascination with .40 SW. Every .40 I ever shot had a strange snap to it that caused me to shoot high and to the right. I could never figure out why nor could I train to compensate for it.

1965--Onboard USS SARATOGA
Another 35 photo.

The Spad was such a sexy airplane.

??
I felt a great disturbance in the Force . . . as if thousands of wannabe Internet commandos cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

I feel personally attacked. There's nothing wrong with having a favorite pistol caliber as long as it's .45 ACP. That's the Lord's caliber.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Most are switching to 9mm, though I've heard tell of some going to 10mm. As Griz said, the FBI ran a study a few years ago where they found that modern 9mm pistols just made more sense from a logistical and marksmanship perspective and that there wasn't enough of a difference between 9mm and .40 SW. I honestly never understood people's fascination with .40 SW. Every .40 I ever shot had a strange snap to it that caused me to shoot high and to the right. I could never figure out why nor could I train to compensate for it.
Never noticed it. My home defense weapon is a P229 in .40S&W that I've had for over 10 years. Maybe I'm just well-enough versed with the platform, but I shot expert with the M11 in 9mm, and didn't notice enough difference to knock me off my game.
I feel personally attacked. There's nothing wrong with having a favorite pistol caliber as long as it's .45 ACP. That's the Lord's caliber.
I thoroughly enjoy my 1911 . . . or did when the damn ranges were open. ? But I've got to admit I'm a convert through and through to the M17. Same manual of arms. Great trigger. Incredible ergonomics. Easier to keep on target. Right before this COVID crap, I bought a replacement slide and barrel in .40S&W, and I plan to acquire a .357 SIG barrel as well, because why the hell not? One pistol. Three calibers.

I'd buy a .45ACP kit, but the .45ACP P320 is its own beast that can't interchange with the others. Which defeats the whole damn purpose. And I already have a 1911.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Never noticed it. My home defense weapon is a P229 in .40S&W that I've had for over 10 years. Maybe I'm just well-enough versed with the platform, but I shot expert with the M11 in 9mm, and didn't notice enough difference to knock me off my game.

I thoroughly enjoy my 1911 . . . or did when the damn ranges were open. ? But I've got to admit I'm a convert through and through to the M17. Same manual of arms. Great trigger. Incredible ergonomics. Easier to keep on target. Right before this COVID crap, I bought a replacement slide and barrel in .40S&W, and I plan to acquire a .357 SIG barrel as well, because why the hell not? One pistol. Three calibers.

I'd buy a .45ACP kit, but the .45ACP P320 is its own beast that can't interchange with the others. Which defeats the whole damn purpose. And I already have a 1911.
My favorite pistol is a p229 .40