• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

US Soldiers Seek Asylum in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
gagirl said:
Whatever happens to them they deserve and I think that they should sit in Leavenworth(sp?) for awhile.
gagirl

I wouldn't want to expose those good folks spending their days in Levenworth, turning big rocks into little rocks, to these worthless individuals. Let them leave and bring canada down. This is the HOME OF THE BRAVE!

I don't even want to spend the money or effort to try and jail them...

gagirl

I agree again. Let them stay in Canada. Actually maybe they could go spend some time in North Korea, China or Cuba for awhile. I think they should be banned from ever coming back to the US. If they're so eager to leave then stay gone.

H

Honour_Class

While perhaps not the most popular actions, these men too are protecting our Constitution by taking a stand. If nothing else, they are causing people to notice and question things in our foreign policy.

In today's climate of miniature American flags, Homeland Defense and Intelligence Bills; we should take care that no fires start near the Reichstag. When we manage to get everyone in the country (or even just the military) to accept wars without question, then we are not doing our foremost job: to support and defend the Constitution from all enemies foreign and domestic...

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Honour_Class said:
While perhaps not the most popular actions, these men too are protecting our Constitution by taking a stand. If nothing else, they are causing people to notice and question things in our foreign policy.

In today's climate of miniature American flags, Homeland Defense and Intelligence Bills; we should take care that no fires start near the Reichstag. When we manage to get everyone in the country (or even just the military) to accept wars without question, then we are not doing our foremost job: to support and defend the Constitution from all enemies foreign and domestic...

What???

These men aren't protecting the Constitution, they are breaking the law. They are not only breaking the law, but breaking faith with the oath they swore to uphold. Honour_Class, are you kidding with this sh!t?

I think you are trying to say that Americans should question authority. Fine, I agree. But questioning authority and deserting your country and breaking your oath (and contract) are very different things.

Perhaps you don't agree with miniature flags, homeland defense, and intelligence bills, but are you seriously advocating desertion as a viable alternative, and posting this idea on a military related board?

I can't remember which thread it was, but I read some kind of outlandinsh post from you before (later deleted by a mod I believe), which leads me to believe you might just be an instigator. Otherwise I really can't see why you post this cr@p.

H

Honour_Class

While perhaps they could have found another outlet for their protest, they are first and foremost stewards of the Republic. Taking a stand against wars they believe are wrong and illegal is in keeping with the highest ideals of the Founding Fathers and the basis of our government.

Rampant Nationalism and jingoism should not be confused with patriotism. A mistake a great many people are inadvertently or in some cases intentionally making.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Honour_Class said:
While perhaps they could have found another outlet for their protest, they are first and foremost stewards of the Republic. Taking a stand against wars they believe are wrong and illegal is in keeping with the highest ideals of the Founding Fathers and the basis of our government.

Rampant Nationalism and jingoism should not be confused with patriotism. A mistake a great many people are inadvertently or in some cases intentionally making.

So you are an Officer in the US Navy and are advocating military desertion as a viable form of civil disobedience? Dude, you should be ashamed. All this "stewards of the Republic" talk doesn't disguise the fact that they broke the law. Take a stand, fine; desert the military, not fine.

Rampant Nationalism and jingoism? What, you mean fulfilling the contract you signed? There are outlets for conscientious objectors in the service, but desertion is not among them.

I can't think of how to reply more to your post without personally attacking and disrepecting you, and I really don't think a public forum is the place for it. Suffice to say that I hope I never work with you if you honestly believe what you post here.

H

Honour_Class

I believe if you go back and read the initiating article again, you'll see that they either applied for conscientious objector and were denied or were ordered to the theatre before the their application was considered.

If more of the military were questioning in 1939 we might have avoided WWII in Europe.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Honour_Class said:
I believe if you go back and read the initiating article again, you'll see that they either applied for conscientious objector and were denied or were ordered to the theatre before the their application was considered.

No excuse at all.

If more of the military were questioning in 1939 we might have avoided WWII in Europe.

Are you suggesting that we should have stayed out of WWII? Or are you likening George Bush to Hitler? Either way is dangerous ground if you ask me ...

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Honour_Class said:
You are quite mistaken. It is most definitely not their role to make a stand, and question national policy while serving in the armed forces. I honestly don't know your personal status (applying, serving, etc), so I am taking the stance that you don't have much familiarity with the military service and what is expected of both enlisted and officer. Besides signing your name on a dotted line that a recruiter pushed across the desk at you, you take an oath (I personally have done this 6 times in my career, as both enlisted and officer). If you are not familiar with it, since we are discussing the Army, here are the two for both enlisted and officer (thought this is that same for each branch).

Army Enlisted Oath said:
"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."
Army Officer Oath said:
"I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the Army of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God."
These men are not protecting the Constitution, they are cowards that are seeking to not fulfill the obligation that they freely volunteered for. Let's not mince words here, or make any deceptions, we are in an ALL VOLUNTEER military. Conscription does not take place nor is their a draft board member knocking on high school students doors telling them when to report to training. Whatever the reason they joined the military for, the pay, the benefits, college assistance, or god forbid the patriotism of serving the country, they are obligated to live up to their own word. They took that oath, and have since foresworn it, and in my eyes, in addition to being cowards, are without honor. This is not a political stance, this is personal expediency, slinking out the back door, while your comrades, shipmates, airmen, and marines, that they trained with, ate with, partied, studied and shared sweat and tears with, are going off to do the hard job for our country.

By no stretch of the imagination are they making people notice national policy.

In today's climate of miniature American flags, Homeland Defense and Intelligence Bills; we should take care that no fires start near the Reichstag.
From your ivory tower, I guess you see America differently than I do. We are not a facist nor militaristic state, we are a proud nation that has brought freedom and hope to the world. We have rebuilt the leading countries after the devastation of WWII, and have championed personal freedom and democracy. Regardless of what the national media or your college professors tell you, America is the beacon of light to the world at large. Comparing the US to the Reichstag has no referent and holds no water as an arguement, your sole purpose is to inflame the topic. I suggest you stop watching Michael Moore films.

When we manage to get everyone in the country (or even just the military) to accept wars without question, then we are not doing our foremost job: to support and defend the Constitution from all enemies foreign and domestic...
If you are speaking as a civilian, go on and protest to your hearts content. My role in the military, and keeping our country free and our consitution intact make that happen.

But if you are speaking as military servicemember, you are on dangerous ground with that statement and belief, you go where you are told. You have placed your trust in your superiors, the democratic process, and the nation as a whole.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Honour_Class said:
When we manage to get everyone in the country (or even just the military) to accept wars without question, then we are not doing our foremost job: to support and defend the Constitution from all enemies foreign and domestic...

Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die;

Maybe you've heard the above before. There are some days where I am livid at having to follow the orders of those appointed over me. I do not always agree with what I'm told to do or how I'm told to do it. However, unless I am told to do something illegal (so far I have not been), I MUST follow that order. I don't have to like it, but I do have to do it.

Those cowards signed up to be in the US Army. I don't know why they did this and I don't really care. You're quite correct, Honour_Class, they did attempt to classify themselves as conscientious objectors through the system that the Army has instated for such people - but they are still in the Army and they STILL TOOK THAT OATH. It is NOT up to the Army to accommodate every individuals desires, it is the job of the Army (and all the military branches) to kill people and break things. Why, when they are actually called to duty, they decided they suddenly don't want to kill is beyond me - they should have decided this BEFORE joining. They went through the system, the system denied them - suck it up and do the duty you swore to do.

I wouldn't piss on these people if they were on fire. The people who were denied their conscientious objector status and stayed for their court marshal and accepted their punishment deserve a small, tidbit of respect.

If you are a military member then I'm appalled at your attitude, you need to do some serious soul searching. If you are not in the military, then I think you're merely misguided and ill informed. If you're just trying to raise the aggregate blood pressure on this board - hooya, you've done it!

There enduth the sermon

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Propstop, you're on the money, but I wouldn't even waste my piss on them.

The only (ONLY!) time that I have ever seen anyone praised for not following an order is when that order would have directly affected the safety of people or would have been seriously illegal. That's it. Even then, those people got the verbal equivalent of 50 lashes. As a leader in the military, whether enlisted or officer, you should reasonably be able to expect obedience from those in your charge, and in exchange for it, we leaders are responsible for making sound, ethical decisions. As an NCO back in the day, and now as an Officer of Marines, I take that bond incredibly seriously, because I've seen what happens when it breaks down. Granted, it wasn't in a combat situation, but that should only highlite the grave importance of this matter: If someone breaks the faith, then the reprecussions are more far-reaching than most people know. Consequently, these people running to Canada are doing severe harm to a lot of people, by putting yet another wedge in the bond between leader and follower.

As to the 'concientious objector' matter... It's pure ****, simple as that. In my oppinion, they're either stupid, or lying, or both. It baffles me how you can be classified as someone who objects to war and fighting, when the ENTIRE US military is a volunteer service. No one forced them to join the military. No one forced them to sign the contract or take the oath, either, but they did. If they didn't take it seriously, well tough, because they still did it. My dad is vehement in his argument that the Vietnam war was wrong, and that the people were lied to, etc. But guess what? He still served out his contract as an enlisted man, and THEN got out.

As someone who truly gives a damn about this country and it's people, I'm extremely disturbed by this stuff. Granted, the percentage of people who've done it is pretty low, but to me, it's pretty indicative of a lack of responsibility in people these days. I wish that I could explain the severe feeling of bad juju that this brings me. I have my own personal beliefs as to what caused this, but that's for another thread. As a professional military officer, this chills me to the bone.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
propstop summed it up pretty good IMO.

If you take an oath, you should stand behind it. If you're not willing to do so, be prepared to accept the consequences. Someone who applies for conscientious objector status, is denied, and then is court marshalled, fine, I can at least respect them for sticking to their guns (doesn't mean I agree with them at all). But if you're going to swear an oath and then run away when it's time to pay the piper, you are a coward of the lowest order.

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
Honour_Class said:

The first part--If they are civilians, sure they can do that. Members of the military should not. It would break the foundation and strength of the armed forces if everyone just upped and left whenever they felt like it. Are they not concerned about their fellow enlisted persons/officers? What message does this send to those who are out in the field, fighting, truly putting their lives on the line and serving as the "stewards of the Republic"?

The second part--True. This is a serious problem and nationalism does get mixed up with patriotism. But military members cannot simply take a stand when the call to arms is sounded. Why didn't they do this years ago? Why did they join in the first place? Are they really so naive to think that being part of the military one would never have to kill? When in the past has desertion led to any kind of positive change? If anything, it undermines their position in failing to stand by their fellow countrymen.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
sirenia said:
But military members cannot simply take a stand when the call to arms is sounded. Why didn't they do this years ago? Why did they join in the first place? Are they really so naive to think that being part of the military one would never have to kill? When in the past has desertion led to any kind of positive change? If anything, it undermines their position in failing to stand by their fellow countrymen.

Someone say, "Hallelujah!" My point, exactly.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
gaijin6423 said:
As to the 'concientious objector' matter... It's pure ****, simple as that. In my oppinion, they're either stupid, or lying, or both. It baffles me how you can be classified as someone who objects to war and fighting, when the ENTIRE US military is a volunteer service. No one forced them to join the military. No one forced them to sign the contract or take the oath, either, but they did. If they didn't take it seriously, well tough, because they still did it. My dad is vehement in his argument that the Vietnam war was wrong, and that the people were lied to, etc. But guess what? He still served out his contract as an enlisted man, and THEN got out.

CO just means that they don't want to kill someone, for whatever reason. During WWII lots of CO's were combat medics, many got killed. One in the pacific campaign was denied the Medal of Honor, even though he earned it, for the simple fact that he was a CO.

Status
Not open for further replies.