• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

US arrests 10 Russian deep-cover spies

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
@Fog: I'm 21 as a matter of fact. My apologies, I didn't see the portion about international relations. I couldn't agree more that Russia thwarts us at every turn and thus I'm confused why Obama is so dead set on repairing that relationship. Having said that, I don't see what the big deal is over the spies. Of course it represents a credible threat to our security network and a breach of safeguards etc, however, it doesn't seem that out of the norm. As such, I don't see how it is a barometer or US-Russian relations as it shouldn't come as that big of a surprise that Russia is using HUMINT to gain a better understanding of our intentions.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
I've seen this before. Doesn't Bourne figure out who he really is in this one, blow up some stuff, and oust all injustice contained in the shadowy corners of the world of espionage?

nope you're thinking about jack bauer, 24 season 8:p

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
gp89: You're a good man, and I agree that the 10 spies probably represented no [yet] real threat to american security. As you've likely read, another former soviet agent estimated that Russia likely has 60 or so such resident, long-term nationals in the USA. I guess they consider it analogous to wildcatting for oil: doesn't cost too much, and, hell, you might strike a gusher one day. Obama is not the 1st american president to delude himself w/ the power of his supposed personality. Certainly GW Bush & Clinton engaged in some of the same ego trips. At age 67, the more I read history & current affairs, the more I am personally convinced that the U.S. has only 2 real friends in this world: Great Britain & Israel. That's why it pisses me off so much to see this president screw up those relationships w/ his ego & ideology. Maybe I'm wrong. I sure hope so. If not, our last best chance is November 2012.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Certainly GW Bush & Clinton engaged in some of the same ego trips. At age 67, the more I read history & current affairs, the more I am personally convinced that the U.S. has only 2 real friends in this world: Great Britain & Israel.

If they're our good friends, why do they spy on us? Frankly at this point, they're getting far more out of this "friendship" than we are.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
If they're our good friends, why do they spy on us? Frankly at this point, they're getting far more out of this "friendship" than we are.

Why do Defense Contractors spy on one another? It's to get the upper hand; whatever that might be. It would seem to be the same here. :icon_wink

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor

OK, Einstein: tell us who is the greater threat to U.S: security, GB & Israel or the PRC & Russia? I'm pretty sure of one thing: they [GB/Israel] don't even have any contingency plans to nuke us.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
The world is not simply divided into good friends and people that hate us. They all act out of their own interests. GB's are mostly aligned with ours. Israel, not completely. The ideology conflict of the Cold War is mostly gone; we are competitors for power with the USSR but does that mean they hate us? Or are we supposed to continue a hostile relationship as if the Cold War never ended? To borrow Alpha_Echo's analogy, does Boeing hate EADS?

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
You guys are retarded if you think we're not doing the same thing to them, and to many many other countries out there -- even the ones we're "friends" with.

If anyone is looking for a good read, download "The Big Breach", which was written by a British MI6 agent about his recruitment, training, and time spent in the UK spy business. It provides some tantalizing details about just how vast the spy networks of western nations are all over the world. It's a free PDF download.

http://cryptome.org/tomlinson-mi6.htm

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
So are the Israelis...ne c'est pas?
I am hoping you posted that link without actually reading most of it. I really don't think this thread is the place for conspiracy theories that claim Mossad perpetrated 9/11.