• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Upper Body Strength

Whalebite

A female in my OCS class, had previously gone to OCS, and got dropped because she could not reach the top of the rope. This was with a different CO. Anyway, she practiced and worked at it, and made it to the top on the second class and did just fine.

The techniques they teach you work, and are aimed at the use of your legs as others have said, so its not a bad idea to practice before you go/ and develop some upper body strength. At OCS its not about dead lift, but about moving your own body weight around. That being said I was never good at the leg-using techniques and I found upper body strength to do it for me( even though this is not the best way to do it)

USMC Philly

My OSO kept telling me that upper body strenght was important before I left and when I got there I wished I had run more. As far as the rope goes practice before you get there, a lot of schools and some gyms have ropes. If you have trouble when you get there go to the remedial class it will suck to give up some of your libo, but it will be worth it. Just wait........you will also have the double O course at TBS to look forward to.

So I know if my gym's rope is equivalent, what is the length of the rope at OCS? 20 feet? 25 feet?

SgtUSMC

Depending where you live, maybe you can get the OSO to take you to a base and use the O-course. That way you can run it and then do the rope climb, since that is the way you will do it at OCS, and you can see where you are at and the OSO can get you some pointers.

Could get the whole pool to do it as a function or something. Just a thought.

S/F

SgtUSMC

And I have heard that a lot of females struggle with the rope climb throughout OCS, but at the final one suddenly everyone seems to find there way up it.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
See heres where I get my revenge. I may suck at the runs but Ill go up a rope fully dynamic and just use my legs to balance.

That will work just fine for you at OCS, but it probably won't fly on the double O'Course at TBS. Only a freaking monster can muscle his way through that thing twice. The earlier you learn the technique the better.

Carno

Insane
See heres where I get my revenge. I may suck at the runs but Ill go up a rope fully dynamic and just use my legs to balance.
It won't be much of a revenge... Sucking on the runs won't be offset by being able to climb a rope.

I don't understand what you mean by using your legs to balance... If you're hanging from the rope using your hands, your body will be dangling due to gravity.. what is there to balance?

Lawman

None
It won't be much of a revenge... Sucking on the runs won't be offset by being able to climb a rope.

I don't understand what you mean by using your legs to balance... If you're hanging from the rope using your hands, your body will be dangling due to gravity.. what is there to balance?

Gotta control that tendency to swing when your going hand over hand. All that swinging does is put undue stress on the muscles and make the climb harder. Used to do a lot more rock climbing earlier in College, now I just get down there now and again.

Its not really sucking on runs, but Im not one of the guys thats running in under 21 minutes like a couple of the people at the office. We've got a few Marathon runners in the pool.

Carno

Insane
Gotta control that tendency to swing when your going hand over hand. All that swinging does is put undue stress on the muscles and make the climb harder. Used to do a lot more rock climbing earlier in College, now I just get down there now and again.
Ahh, yeah I guess that makes sense.