• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Upper Body Strength

Forza19

I was told at OCS that it is essential to have a lot of pulling upper body strength. Now i am far from a wimp but my pullup/flex arm hang strength sucks! That I can work on. What gets me is the rope climbing I know we have to do. I have never climbed up a rope in my life. Any tips?

Glen

Just apply the techniques they will teach you out there...If you follow the technique, you will realize that it is not really the arms, but the legs...But for the time being though, just work on your push-ups and flex arm hang.

Glen Out!

saltpeter

Easy, wrap the front leg around the rope and then squeeze the rope with your tip toes. I haven't done this since elementary school. It all a function of your feet catching the rope, so they act as a break.

usmcecho4

pilot
I didn't really find uper body strength to be all that important at OCS. I think while I was there we did a grand total of 80 pullups over the course of 12 weeks (PLC Jrs and Srs). What is important is to be able to run/walk a lot with various gear loads. If you can get a 1st class pft you will be fine as long as you don't break.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
saltpeter said:
Its all a function of your feet catching the rope, so they act as a break.

It also helps to have a shoe/boot with a sharp edge to help "bite" into the rope

Lawman

None
See heres where I get my revenge. I may suck at the runs but Ill go up a rope fully dynamic and just use my legs to balance.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
If you have problems with the rope climb, they will offer a remidial rope class right before liberty for the first few libbos. I just wanted to hear what they had to say, and I learned a lot and went from just getting up the rope to flying up the rope. Its a relaxed atmosphere at remidials so you can learn without the usual stress of OCS. At least check it out if you find yourself having problems. Good luck!
s/f

Aeolos

My OSO kept telling me that upper body strenght was important before I left and when I got there I wished I had run more. As far as the rope goes practice before you get there, a lot of schools and some gyms have ropes. If you have trouble when you get there go to the remedial class it will suck to give up some of your libo, but it will be worth it. Just wait........you will also have the double O course at TBS to look forward to.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Aeolos said:
My OSO kept telling me that upper body strenght was important before I left and when I got there I wished I had run more. As far as the rope goes practice before you get there, a lot of schools and some gyms have ropes. If you have trouble when you get there go to the remedial class it will suck to give up some of your libo, but it will be worth it. Just wait........you will also have the double O course at TBS to look forward to.

Don't worry about the rope now, its all about technique...once you can do it right you can climb the rope all day long...

TransAmatt

Learn the "S" lock. I tried screwing around with the other one for the first 4 weeks before I realized how much more efficent and faster the S is. After I had that down I could get up that rope in 4 pulls.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
TransAmatt said:
Learn the "S" lock. I tried screwing around with the other one for the first 4 weeks before I realized how much more efficent and faster the S is. After I had that down I could get up that rope in 4 pulls.

ditto that, same results for me

zachsarver

TransAmatt said:
The british royal marine method is the fastest!

flygirlA47474

applicant PLC air-jrs 2006
Did female have a hard time with the rope climb? If so, do they eventually learn the technique and are able to climb it like the males?